Topic: Desperately Need Advice on Intention to Install New OS

I know there are some clever and polite souls on here and while it is not specifically a Pianoteq Issue, I wondered if anyone can help me as I'm in a pickle.

I've been on Windows XP for years and now on start up it is saying "Since Windows was first activated on this computer, the hardware on the computer has changed significantly. Due to these changes, Windows must be reactivated within 3 days."

So, that was yesterday and now it is at "2 days."

I'm not confident that if I click YES to reactivation that I have the correct product key and that Microsoft would help given support for XP has ended. I want to ensure that I can move forwards if the re-activation fails. Therefore I'm thinking about Windows 7 or 10.

Can anyone advise me whether in the event I need a fresh install on the following?

Do I go for 32bit or 64 bit and how do I find out if my computer will run 64bit?

Do I purchase the Home or Pro edition of Windows 7 or 10? I will want to run the internet and MS office programmes along with Reaper. Importantly, this is my music computer and so I will want to reinstall many of my VST software instruments and effects including Pianoteq of course

Re: Desperately Need Advice on Intention to Install New OS

If your computer is not older than 10-12 years, it will run 64-bit, so go with that.

I would say go with W10 because W7 will in due time lose support from Microsoft. What is your hardware configuration?

Hard work and guts!

Many thanks...

...the computer is about 7-8 years old -

I'm afraid I'm not sure how to describe the hardware configuration - I'll try...

AMD Phenom II x4 965 Processor

I don't recall the name of the motherboard. - think it was a "gigabit"

Two hard drives

firewire audio interface

DVD drive

How am I doing? I did a screenshot of the Device Manager profile, but not sure how to post images on here.

Yeah that is pretty damn old...

But it is a 64-bit CPU so 64-bit Windows will run just fine.

Hard work and guts!

Your CPU is fine.  Your motherboard is probably made by a company called Gigabyte (well known, major maker of motherboards).

I'd focus on checking the availability of drivers for hardware you need to run (especially audio related stuff) as it's possibly an issue for newer OSes.  Use whatever OS has driver support and an upgrade path.

With that in mind, would Windows 8.1 be another option for you ?

StephenG

Don't go with W8... it was a trainwreck. Either 7 or 10. 10 is what 8.1 should've been, basically.

Last edited by EvilDragon (24-03-2017 08:15)
Hard work and guts!

fulvia wrote:

I know there are some clever and polite souls on here and while it is not specifically a Pianoteq Issue, I wondered if anyone can help me as I'm in a pickle.

I've been on Windows XP for years and now on start up it is saying "Since Windows was first activated on this computer, the hardware on the computer has changed significantly. Due to these changes, Windows must be reactivated within 3 days."

So, that was yesterday and now it is at "2 days."

I'm not confident that if I click YES to reactivation that I have the correct product key and that Microsoft would help given support for XP has ended. I want to ensure that I can move forwards if the re-activation fails. Therefore I'm thinking about Windows 7 or 10.

Can anyone advise me whether in the event I need a fresh install on the following?

Do I go for 32bit or 64 bit and how do I find out if my computer will run 64bit?

Do I purchase the Home or Pro edition of Windows 7 or 10? I will want to run the internet and MS office programmes along with Reaper. Importantly, this is my music computer and so I will want to reinstall many of my VST software instruments and effects including Pianoteq of course

If you are faced with going through THAT MUCH of a change (style, appearance, ease of use, etc.) you would probably be better off with Linux.
For music and other arts; e.g. graphics, video, photo, etc. Ubuntu Studio would be a very good distribution.
You would need enough capability to download and burn a DVD - either on a different machine or on your last gasp expiring XP.
It is free, both in the ca$h and licensing senses.
Somewhat more secure than windoze too, i.e. not such an attractive target for virii

Start here;
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/...y/release/

Boot from the DVD, then shrink the windoze partition to make some space for Linux.
Install Linux and it will be able to retrieve all your old files - it will see them as files, you won't be blocked by windoze opinion on what you shouldn't be able to access.

Last edited by aandrmusic (24-03-2017 17:15)

Hi fulvia,

Sorry to learn that you are experiencing problems with your PC.

If you need to know more information regarding your system, you can use hwinfo:
https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

+1 for aandrmusic:
The cheapest solution, as mentioned, is to install a Linux distro alongside with Windows. The "problem"is that are lots and lots of distros available... Some more heavy, other more lightweight on system resources; even some tailored to music production! I think that aandrmusic's suggestion is great because is based/supported by one of the major players on the Linux scene. If you need more help, don't hesitate to post.

Please, don't forget to backup your data before making any changes!

Just a note of caution as you say you have a FireWire studio interface - as I understand it the support for FireWire audio interfaces in windows 8-10 can be very 'hit or miss'. You need to know what FireWire chip is on the motherboard apparently some are never satisfactory for audio.

...which is why it's usually best to have FW chipset on an additional card that has the certified chipset for audio stuff.

I used this card (https://www.amazon.co.uk/SEDNA-PCI-Expr...ge_o00_s00) with my old TC Electronic Impact Twin audio interface, and it worked great in W7 and W10, no issues whatsoever.

And then I moved to RME UFX+, connected via Thunderbolt. Again, no issues whatsoever.

Hard work and guts!

BTW, once you have a Linux DVD you can boot that and run it from the DVD without actually installing it.
So, if your XP is expired or for some reason can't do a back-up you can do the back-up of the XP stuff under Linux.
No need to know ANYTHING of Linux, all the WIMP stuff is there so you can drag and drop in much the same way as on Macs and windoze.

Just remember that the O/S is running from a read only file system and it is running on a very slow drive.

PS WIMP == Windows Icons Mice Pointers (old joke)

Has it finally expired ?
Were you able to save anything off to backup ?

Getting a bit off topic but for general info :

Regarding Linux from DVD, this is not something I'd suggest.  Modern distros are often both bootable and installable from USB memory sticks, which is how I've been doing it for years.

Installing and/or booting from USB key is generally faster than DVD in my experience.

Anyone interested please try this page : https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal...-as-1-2-3/

For those of you of a more technical bent but unfamiliar with Linux, note that using bootable Linux on USB keys is a common way to rescue PCs with Window's installed.  I've even rescued data from HTSF drive using it (which is kinda handy for server types).

I've been using Linux Mint for years, but it's based on Ubuntu which is arguably a safer bet for the majority.

One minor point : if you want to install Linux but keep your Window's installation as well, note that a distro like Ubuntu or Mint will allow this, but for modern computers you'll need to get the UEFI capable distro.  This is an alleged security feature forced on the world by Microsoft which achieves almost no security but does complicate life for people wanting to rid themselves of MS OSes.

StephenG

sjgcit wrote:

Getting a bit off topic but for general info :

Regarding Linux from DVD, this is not something I'd suggest.  Modern distros are often both bootable and installable from USB memory sticks, which is how I've been doing it for years.

Installing and/or booting from USB key is generally faster than DVD in my experience.

Anyone interested please try this page : https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal...-as-1-2-3/

For those of you of a more technical bent but unfamiliar with Linux, note that using bootable Linux on USB keys is a common way to rescue PCs with Window's installed.  I've even rescued data from HTSF drive using it (which is kinda handy for server types).

I've been using Linux Mint for years, but it's based on Ubuntu which is arguably a safer bet for the majority.

One minor point : if you want to install Linux but keep your Window's installation as well, note that a distro like Ubuntu or Mint will allow this, but for modern computers you'll need to get the UEFI capable distro.  This is an alleged security feature forced on the world by Microsoft which achieves almost no security but does complicate life for people wanting to rid themselves of MS OSes.

I agree, USB drives are a lot faster for this, they are also writeable and for a novice that COULD be a hazard.
PART of the reason that I suggested a DVD is that once burned it is READ ONLY, i.e. booting from it and using it will NOT change anything on it, it will remain consistent.
Another PART of the reason is that the physical disk can be written on with a fiber tip pen ("Sharpie") so you know exactly what is on it.
{assuming you have a modicum of lab discipline }

Again, Ubuntu studio which I suggested is Debian based and probably one of the easiest to become acquainted with for a windoze migrant .
It also includes most of the programs that someone with arts/music interests is likely to want to migrate TO as they escape from MS'ness.

I don't think there is a sufficiently legitimate reason to use a DVD over an USB live. You can also not write inside an USB live (when you boot with it), it is blocked by default.

Also, check if your Windows XP is formated FAT32 or NTFS... if you are going to use a live DVD or USB for backups, you'd be having a problem with NTFS support, you need some installations (generally) to get support of that file system to save your files.

Last edited by Lucy (28-03-2017 02:05)

Lucy wrote:

Also, check if your Windows XP is formated FAT32 or NTFS... if you are going to use a live DVD or USB for backups, you'd be having a problem with NTFS support, you need some installations (generally) to get support of that file system to save your files.

Seems that it's not true anymore...