i have used different setup.
the current one is:

- Kawai VPC1

- Intel PC running Windows 8, ASIO4ALL

- Exogal Comet DAC /Nuforce HDP DAC

- Headphone Nuforce HP800/Sennheiser 598/AKG 501

- I just play Baroque Music

I am sure i am doing something wrong!
But i am not satisfied with the sound.....
If i listen to a standard Piano cd the sound is rich, full of harmonics (Alain Feinberg "The Fugue State" for instance)
I want to listen to the same Harmonics!!!! where are they????

which parameters should i set????
any suggestion warmly welcomed

Re: Pianoteq sound how to improve

I play Bach 95% of the time and I think the Model B is best to hear both the independent voices and their harmonies (without pedal). The Model B's bass is not as good as the other pianos but I think it has the best sound for the typical range that Bach is played in. I've noticed harshness in E2 and E1. Note edit for harmer hardness in mezzo and forte along with a bit of spectrum profile adjustment helps to soften this. It's not perfect but it helps to keep a more fluid voice in the bass. If you find any notes that stick out too much for your tastes then you can try this for those notes as well.

I took a listen to Feinber's "Fugue State" album. I'd say try and find a reverb impulse response file you like. There are a ton of free ones, I use Samplicity's "Scoring Stage" which is in their free Bricasti M7 reverb unit. Also perhaps try getting a more wider microphone set up will get you closer to that sound.

Another alternative is to try out the harpsichord. I think is far easier to get good counterpoint out of the harpsichord. The only problem is, that as there are very little (if any) dynamics, the technique does not translate to a cantabile style of counterpoint on the piano.

Last edited by birdlives (17-03-2017 21:17)

birdlives: Thanks for the tip. I have Bricasti M7 reverb unit. tried, sounds really very good.

Last edited by Urs Zimmermann (19-03-2017 13:23)
Pianoteq 7 Pro with all pianos

birdlives wrote:

I play Bach 95% of the time and I think the Model B is best to hear both the independent voices and their harmonies (without pedal). The Model B's bass is not as good as the other pianos but I think it has the best sound for the typical range that Bach is played in. I've noticed harshness in E2 and E1. Note edit for harmer hardness in mezzo and forte along with a bit of spectrum profile adjustment helps to soften this. It's not perfect but it helps to keep a more fluid voice in the bass. If you find any notes that stick out too much for your tastes then you can try this for those notes as well.

I took a listen to Feinber's "Fugue State" album. I'd say try and find a reverb impulse response file you like. There are a ton of free ones, I use Samplicity's "Scoring Stage" which is in their free Bricasti M7 reverb unit. Also perhaps try getting a more wider microphone set up will get you closer to that sound.

Another alternative is to try out the harpsichord. I think is far easier to get good counterpoint out of the harpsichord. The only problem is, that as there are very little (if any) dynamics, the technique does not translate to a cantabile style of counterpoint on the piano.

Hi thanks for the suggestions
i am trying Model B, Erard Harpsicord and the M7 reverb unit.
it takes time but it is very interesting

I have been messing around with the Briscasti M7 reverb files. 

Has anyone found that there is an optimal microphone and placement, as well as
the compensation options (Level and Delay) when using the files?

And I suppose the answer is different depending on the piano. 

I have not come to a conclusion myself.