Topic: obvious feature request !

I love my Pianoteq for its ability to stand out and nsound like nothing else on the planet - a thing you won't get from samples.
I feel that Modartt could be a little more generous with the parameters though:

- the ability to extend the range of the instrument beyond the original. Why are there a limit to this ? Let's have a mastertune that goes +- 2 octaves

- the ability to morph two different models, say, piano and harp

- a sub tone generator, not necessarily complicated, but enough to beef up the sound of, say, a glockenspiel with a sine tone underneath

- a few more efx slots: as we've got 10 efx models, why can't we use more at a time then ?

I know that Modart set out to model the perfect, nature identical piano sound - but the scope of this instrument is so much broader..

Best,
Halfdan

Re: obvious feature request !

> the ability to extend the range of the instrument beyond the original. Why are there a limit to this ? Let's have a mastertune that goes +- 2 octaves

I think this is already supported in the models.  As far as I'm aware they already push this as far as is practical, something to do with the limits of the human ear to detect frequencies (but I'm happy to be corrected on this).

> the ability to morph two different models, say, piano and harp

> a sub tone generator, not necessarily complicated, but enough to beef up the sound of, say, a glockenspiel with a sine tone underneath

> a few more efx slots: as we've got 10 efx models, why can't we use more at a time then ?

All three of these would be better achieved using a DAW.  It's not really practical for Pianoteq to extend it's features into this area as, IMO, it would divert the resources available for development into areas already handled by other packages.

> the ability to morph two different models, say, piano and harp

"morph" may mean more to you that blend (which is my interpretation of what you mean), but if so you need to be more explicit about what you want to do.  Again, however, I'd suggest that for most purposes feeding Pianoteq VST outputs to a DAW and doing additional processing there is probably the most powerful way to manipulate sound than anything Pianoteq could provide.

StephenG

I think stuff like morphing is outside of the mandate of the company. Relying on one single software to do everything including processing has been shown to generally not to be the best of solutions.

I would vote for allowing notes way beyond the instrument octave bounds.  It may end up sounding totally weird but I'd rather have weird notes than absolute silence.  Maybe make those keys a different color so you know you hit something weird.

note-by-note velocity curve is the only thing I miss in the pro version. because i have a Fatar keybed.

Last edited by SteveLy (08-03-2017 06:58)
3/2 = 5

If there's already a way to extend the range of the instruments, then I'd be most grateful to learn how to do it. Anybody ?

more fx slots: I don't know about you, but Pianoteq absorbs nearly no processor power on my machines - why not have more of a good thing then ? If you can have these options in Kontakt, you know why it's great to have fx as a part of your preset sounds rather than something you set up in your DAW. Not least if you perform live...

a sub tone generator: not a processor demanding thing. If you've ever fumbled with synths, you know how much this can do to a sound without you actually 'hearing' it.

a way to morph models: what I meant was in fact 'blending'. As you know, most instruments already consist of more than one sound: take a banjo (no jokes here !), timpani etc. You've got a percussive sound blended with a tonal one. It makes sense.

Modartt are doing a great job - but they can go further and the tech involved here is not something exotic. AAS are already doing it, so are Wallander instruments. Modelling is the real alternative to sampling. Why not push it further ?

No, I don't believe things like these are better solved in a DAW: a lot of other software manufacturers are doing this already, giving us instruments with more options out of the box. What I may be suggesting, may be a sort of 'Pianoteq+', add ons that you can purchase, leaving the original instrument for those who don't need stuff like this.

The iPhone was a result of somebody looking for new ways. So was Pianoteq. Keep it up then !

My 5 cents :-)

Halfdane wrote:

If there's already a way to extend the range of the instruments, then I'd be most grateful to learn how to do it. Anybody ?

Here is how I do it.

I export the section I want to extend the range. Then I open it in Audacity, under effect I can change octaves. Since I work by layering, I can also morph and do the rest of the requested features.