Topic: Yamaha FC3A half damper sustain pedal

Hi,

I am wondering if someone could do me a huge favour and confirm the actual Midi output range of the Yamaha FC3A Half Damper pedal within Pianoteq calibration tool. I have one and it behaves in the following fashion: it goes from 0-80 in a very smooth fashion. Once I reach the last quarter of the pedal range, it goes from 80 to 127, i.e. full sustain. I assume that this is an accurate simulation how half-dampers work on an actual piano, but just wanted to confirm that this is normal behaviour and that it is not possible to reach midi values from 81-126. Btw, I am using it with Yamaha P45.

Thanks.

Re: Yamaha FC3A half damper sustain pedal

You can tweak the response curve for the Yamaha FC3 (don't know the FC3A, but assume it's similar) in Pianoteq to your liking. Even if it's reverse polarity, which mine is by default. But you either need a MIDI keyboard capable of dealing with that or a MIDI-to-USB pedal adapter (search my past posts).

Last edited by SteveLy (26-02-2017 13:48)
3/2 = 5

Thanks Steve. My piano (p45) is capable of sending 0-127. However, it sends a range from 0-80 for the 3/4 of the way in and then for the last quarter of the pedal range it stays constant at 127. I am thinking that the P45 is simply interpreting anything above 80 as full sustain (127) because otherwise I would have to press the pedal all the way in order to get full sustain. I would truly appreciate it if anyone with P-45, P-35 or P-115 and FC3A could check if their Pianoteq calibrator does the same thing.

SteveLy wrote:

You can tweak the response curve for the Yamaha FC3 (don't know the FC3A, but assume it's similar) in Pianoteq to your liking. Even if it's reverse polarity, which mine is by default. But you either need a MIDI keyboard capable of dealing with that or a MIDI-to-USB pedal adapter (search my past posts).

The semi-auto calibrator just gives you a baseline. I always tweak things manually till I'm happy. Just don't forget to save your work once you're done.

3/2 = 5