Topic: New Casio Celviano Hybrid has action co-designed with Bechstein

The forthcoming Casio Celviano Hybrid has not been released yet, but here is a video interview with Casio.

The key mechanism was designed by Casio in partnership with C. Bechstein, and uses actual piano hammers.

I have read a comment online that there will be two models, with a list price of US $4,000 and US $6,000.

It features a new sampled piano based on a Bechstein, called the "Berlin" model, and two other sample sets, a "Hamburg" and a "Vienna".

Keyboard Magazine, in a preliminary note, says that this new instrument "appears to be aiming straight at the Yamaha AvantGrand line while--in true Casio fashion--costing far less money."

There are many technical details in the videos. Here is a link to the first one.

https://youtu.be/uy2wBM9-weo?list=PLc4t...uU4s4Dey4z

Last edited by Wheat Williams (05-09-2015 18:17)
Dayton, Ohio, United States of America
macOS 10.14.6 Mojave • Apple MacBook Pro (2017), no Touch Bar • 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 2 core • 8GB RAM

Re: New Casio Celviano Hybrid has action co-designed with Bechstein

(According to the video's narrative) ".... literally indistinguishable from a real grand" -- hardly.
(                       <ditto>              ) " ... You're quite literally playing the real thing" --- give me a break!!!!

I watched Video #2 of 6 in this series -- and promptly noticed there is no escapement!  When the key note is held down, the "hammer" is held in its uppermost position!   When this video showed the "real piano action", the pivot points might correspond (at that's what the video's narrative says it does), but the geometry (lengths) of the various parts ... do NOT correspond to a real grand piano's action.

Incidentally, I visited a Yamaha dealer and looked at their AvantGrand, and noticed that its action is not a grand action; rather the hammers "strike" a vertically oriented set of strings, as in an upright piano!

Back to the Casio demonstration, I listened to it through the same AKG-702 headphones that I monitor my own acoustic recordings and of Pianoteq -- I don't need a double blind test to tell IMMEDIATELY was that this was nowhere in the vicinity of Pianoteq's audio quality.

For what it's worth,

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (05-09-2015 20:03)

Nice comments Joe, make me laugh and feel proud for us, users of PTq :D Now I'm going to check the videos by myself, lol.

Last edited by AKM (05-09-2015 20:24)

Seems to be a step in a direction I'm not really interested in.   Of course it's probably aimed at "non" pianists who still are buying cabinets more than "pro" pianos.   "Pro" meaning light weight, easily transportable, and very playable.   I still think the best solution is a light weight keyboard with the genuine fully adjustable Pianoteq voices built in along with a good sounding speakers and amplification.  It's going to be difficult for any of these manufacturers to out do the musicality of Pianoteq which on almost all counts is superb.  One point they make is that there is no escapement mechanism needed.  From my perspective, hammers shouldn't be needed.  Much of the "feel" is actually psychologically related to the sound quality that is produced.  I think creating heavy instruments that have excessive parts and components that aren't genuinely needed just doesn't cut it, unless it's a justification for an excessive price point.   As others have already pointed out, this piano really doesn't sound very good at all, particularly if you've become accustomed to the Pianoteq sound.   The instrument is definitely not easily transportable.  In all likelihood this is largely a pressed board wonder.  In other words, mostly sawdust and glue fabricated into rather heavy boards lacking genuine rigidity, and next to zero acoustic resonance.  On the other hand, a talented person can make a pair of spoons sound great.

Last edited by GRB (06-09-2015 00:15)
Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

GRB wrote:

Seems to be a step in a direction I'm not really interested in.

I agree with you completely.  To my way of thinking, it is a "cure without a disease," although the magazines (whose advertising income is dependent upon good reviews) will love this product.

Cheers,

Joe

I like the sound of this Casio.

Also, the feel of the escapement is apparently considered a defect of real pianos, and is something they have been trying to eliminate.  Read about the "roller knuckles" here:
http://hurstwoodfarmpianos.co.uk/newsan...amp;atid=1 (scroll down) The problem that the roller knuckles introduces is irrelevant for the Casio, of course, because the Casio doesn't have any escapement mechanism at all.

Greg.

Last edited by skip (06-09-2015 02:00)

I feel kind of curious about this pianos. I obviously don't like the price, the size, the built in speakers and the sound engine - things I'm not interested totally. But the mechanics... I'd really like to try it as a controller very much. They 'may' be the best piano controller keyboards on the market in theory since they have a full length keys and the 'repetition better than real one'.

Last edited by AKM (06-09-2015 02:33)

In the hybrid market, the only other options are from Yamaha which starts at a list price of $1500 higher for the NU1 (compared to the GP300) and then it goes into the stratosphere for the N1/N2/N3 ($10K/$15K/$20K).  It is a good step with Casio undercut the existing (if limited) market.

Whether you need a hybrid action or a Kawai VPC1 (or MP11) is close enough -- that's a personal choice for each of us that can only be settled by trying.  The hard part will be lining 3 places nearby where you can go from Kawai digitals to Casio hybrid to Yamaha hybrid without losing your immediate recollections.

Last edited by Mossy (06-09-2015 05:57)

According to the Pianiste's review (http://www.pianiste.fr/011-5875-CASIO-CELVIANO-GP-300.html - sorry, in French), the key length is a little short.

Anyway, the specifications are here :

http://www.casio-music.com/euro/instrum...id/gp-300/

http://www.casio-music.com/euro/instrum...id/gp-500/

It is curious to find the same amplifier/speaker in both models which are sold at quite different prices.

jcfelice88keys wrote:

Incidentally, I visited a Yamaha dealer and looked at their AvantGrand, and noticed that its action is not a grand action; rather the hammers "strike" a vertically oriented set of strings, as in an upright piano!

AvantGrand NU1 has an upright action, but AvantGrand N1, N2 and N3 have a grand action.

floyer wrote:
jcfelice88keys wrote:

AvantGrand NU1 has an upright action, but AvantGrand N1, N2 and N3 have a grand action.

I stand corrected, sir.

Joe

http://www.casiomusicgear.com/resource/...index.html

Looks extremely promising.

There's a long thread at Pianoworld with more info:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthre...ost2455972

Again, probably have to try before you can make a decision.  It'll be hard where I currently work but I guess I can try to arrange for peeks on my business trips.

skip wrote:

I like the sound of this Casio.

Also, the feel of the escapement is apparently considered a defect of real pianos, and is something they have been trying to eliminate.  Read about the "roller knuckles" here:
http://hurstwoodfarmpianos.co.uk/newsan...amp;atid=1 (scroll down) The problem that the roller knuckles introduces is irrelevant for the Casio, of course, because the Casio doesn't have any escapement mechanism at all.

Greg.

That particular article is now almost 10 years old - and BTW was hardly "current news" then.
But yes, 4% conversion of finger energy to sound energy has been "traditional" and (fear of) deviation from "tradition" has held back development.

aandrmusic wrote:

But yes, 4% conversion of finger energy to sound energy has been "traditional" and (fear of) deviation from "tradition" has held back development.

The article mentions a problem that the introduction of the roller knuckles causes,  which is that rapidly repeated notes are problematic, due to the jack not being able to grab on to the knuckle as effectively. It says that players liked the smoothness of the rollers, if it weren't for that new problem.  So, I'm not at all convinced it's only a "fear of deviation from tradition" - it's a genuine problem that the rollers introduce.

The reason I mentioned this is that the issue of escapement is rather nuanced - it seems unfair to declare the Casio action (or any digital piano without escapement feel) as being deficient to a real action because it doesn't have escapement, because escapement is clearly not universally accepted as an advantage in a real action.  If one wants to mimick a typical piano as closely as possible, including it's "faults", then yes, I guess the Casio does fall short.

Maybe escapement-less digital piano actions will increase the pressure on real piano manufacturers to remove the escapement notch feel.

Greg.

http://youtu.be/Z2vYljohg44

Enjoy

http://music.casio.com/en/products/digi.../products/

Very instructive website on the two models (GP500 / GP300)

I received a phone call this afternoon informing me of the arrival of a Casio GP300 at my local music store. Off tomorrow morning to check it out. I'll also run it through Pianoteq and see how well it integrates. Review to follow.

Any questions regarding the GP300 I'll pick up before I go if anyone wants to know anything specific. Post question(s) here on this thread.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (19-11-2015 22:53)

sigasa wrote:

I received a phone call this afternoon informing me of the arrival of a Casio GP300 at my local music store. Off tomorrow morning to check it out. I'll also run it through Pianoteq and see how well it integrates. Review to follow.

Any questions regarding the GP300 I'll pick up before I go if anyone wants to know anything specific. Post question(s) here on this thread.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Ok, here goes. Spent a few hours listening/playing to the onboard sounds and Pianoteq. I am very impressed. One thing that stood out to me is the beauty not only of the sound/feel, but the beauty of the piano keys - so comfortable under the fingers. The feel is the keys in play is extremely smooth. I must confess, there were building works nearby so lots of unwanted noise contaminating the music shop - a little dissappinting

sigasa wrote:
sigasa wrote:

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Ok, here goes. Spent a few hours listening/playing to the onboard sounds and Pianoteq. I am very impressed. One thing that stood out to me is the beauty not only of the sound/feel, but the beauty of the piano keys - so comfortable under the fingers. The feel is the keys in play is extremely smooth. I must confess, there were building works nearby so lots of unwanted noise contaminating the music shop - a little dissappinting

How was the sound compared to Pianoteq?

Thanks Sigasa. Some folks over on the Pianoworld forum feel that the overall sustain is unrealistically short (notes die away too quickly). Did you notice anything like that?

Greg.

skip wrote:

Thanks Sigasa. Some folks over on the Pianoworld forum feel that the overall sustain is unrealistically short (notes die away too quickly). Did you notice anything like that?

Greg.

Hi Greg,

To be honest, I didn't notice. Had it been quieter in the store, I may have, but I didn't specifically check for sustain length. I was a bit dissappointed with the noise of the builders which meant that I could not hear the sounds nearly as well as I needed to. The quality of the piano construction is excellent. Casio's production and quality control has always been good IMHO.

Feel:

For those who prefer to feel the mechanics of the action when playing you may need to look elsewhere. But for those who like a smooth (though not spongey) touch, the GP300 delivers with class. As the action is the identical in both the GP300 and GP500, if you are solely wanting to play through Pianoteq, the GP300 is 1/3 less than the GP500 which would mean a saving of £1000GBP!
The finish of the keys is outstandingly beautiful and a joy to play.

Build:

Some may prefer a polished finish, but for those who have kids for example, or don't want to be polishing off hand/fingerprints every 5 minutes, the GP300 may be the better choice. The finish of the cabinet is much like the black keys of the Casio PX5S. It appears hardwearing.

More later

Kindest Regards,

Chris

After having done more work on my personal quest for perfection, I've come back to earth to write a little more on the GP300.

Whenever I think about this Casio hybrid, the thing that keeps coming back to my mind is the superior quality of the keys. They are so beautifully made, smooth and lovely to play. I really cannot comment authoritatively at all on the sound of the three piano models. But I shall be going back to play it again hopefully before Christmas.

Coming back to the cabinetry, if I had the funds, I would definitely go for the black polished ebony GP500. While the finish on the GP300 looks hardwearing, it does look a little cheap considering it has within it a grand piano action of sorts. Don't get me wrong, it appears to be a fine instrument, but if you want a piano that looks right in any setting, I think only the GP500 would fit the bill (especially in a concert hall).

If anyone would like me check out anything specific on the GP300, please let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

More soon,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Way too expensive for what it is. For that kind of money one can get an excellent acoustic upright.

3/2 = 5

I tried the GP-300 at a local shop. The owner offered the GP-500 for me to try as well but I told him not to bother (I tried the keys unplugged though; they felt the same).

At half the price they would be a reasonable option but at their price point they are markedly inferior to acoustic pianos costing a lot less. They are not an "incredible experience". They are a mediocre experience if you're a pianist and have played a good acoustic instrument. The action, very well made and refined as it certainly is, is the same old lame weighted action that's been around for decades (in digital pianos): a lever lifting a hammer. There is no escapement even (or "let-off" as Kawai calls it).

I'm sure there is a niche market for these instruments; they are very lightweight for an upright and they do sound convincing to non-musician listeners. If you own a jazz bar / live music venue and don't want the hassle of tuning and maintenance of the instrument, these could work really well. But for the ordinary musician who wants to play the piano, no way.

3/2 = 5

It IS unfortunate that Casio opted out of including an escapement mechanism. After seeing the new Roland PHA50 action, I shall be trying that out at the shop. The best feeling action I have ever owned was the Fatar TP40WOOD, however these are let down by poor regulation and (very) problematic midi implementation velocity-wise. The TP40WOOD also had a wood/plastic (Kostil) sandwich key.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

I agree with the previous poster that the missing escapement mechanism must not be a drawback, but can be an advantage. The escapement mechanism in a grand piano was always a workaround  the problem that the hammer would be dampening the strings without it when the key is pressed. By working around this problem, a new problem is created: the player is not always connected through the keys with the hammers, because the escapement mechanism must engage at some point.

Anyone trying to play pianissimo passages who has experienced the "premature let-off" when touching the keys too slowly, knows what I am talking of. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wpMgxXo1wU for a nice description of the mechanism. Try to play pianissimo on a grand with poorly adjusted let-off mechanism, of which there are many, and you see why it can be an advantage not to have to maintain the complicated mechanics.

As for the repetition, the poor adjustment of many grand pianos (not to speak of uprights) is in the way of achieving the results you may obtain on a Casio GP-300.

In contrast, a digital piano does not have strings which is why we do not need to workaround this problem in the first place. In consequence, the simpler the mechanics, the less things can go wrong.

Disclaimer: I am a happy owner of a GP-300.

Last edited by matz0 (05-03-2017 12:16)