Topic: Audio interface for Pianoteq

I have to get a final decision in the next few days and to choose the audio interface I'm going to work with.

I thought about Steinberg ur22mkii, I just want to ask few last questions to be sure:
What perfromances I should expect when using it to control pianoteq(latency, sample rate, bit depth, etc)?
What are the advantages in using its MIDI port instead of connecting a keyboard to a PC via USB?
If I'll stretch my budget a little bit, do you have a recommandation for something better?
And just for general knowledge, if budget is available, do you think it is worthwhile to invest in a monstrous audio interface like those RME, just for using Pianoteq? Would it really make a difference?

Re: Audio interface for Pianoteq

Audio interface performance is largely influenced by your hardware (CPU, motherboard), and only then software (OS, audio interface's drivers). We cannot tell you what kind of performance you will get on your machine - you will have to find that out for yourself. At any rate, that Steinberg should very likely work fine for what you need. As for paying extra to get an RME (or some other high-end audio interface) - if you value the lowest latency possible, it's always a good idea. However if you just need an audio interface to receive MIDI and put out audio, and nothing fancier than that, most mid-tier interfaces will do fine. Like that Steinberg, or a Roland, perhaps even Focusrite.

Hard work and guts!

hag01 wrote:

I have to get a final decision in the next few days and to choose the audio interface I'm going to work with.

I thought about Steinberg ur22mkii, I just want to ask few last questions to be sure:
What perfromances I should expect when using it to control pianoteq(latency, sample rate, bit depth, etc)?
What are the advantages in using its MIDI port instead of connecting a keyboard to a PC via USB?
If I'll stretch my budget a little bit, do you have a recommandation for something better?
And just for general knowledge, if budget is available, do you think it is worthwhile to invest in a monstrous audio interface like those RME, just for using Pianoteq? Would it really make a difference?

For example,

No problems at 48Khz and 64 samples with a Focusrite 6i6 1st gen on my 6 years old laptop (dual core i5 2,53Ghz) at 96 notes of polyphony max. The OS is Librazik, a linux distro.
usb or midi? I don't know, I use a midi/usb cable from the keyboard to the pc directly. The idea is to separate the midi and the audio signals.
I don't think you need a TOTL soundcard to have a good sound, but you will need it for the lowest latencies, at least under Windows.

Last edited by stamkorg (03-03-2017 22:45)

One thing to remember about RME is they have a track record of supporting their devices for years.

rAC wrote:

One thing to remember about RME is they have a track record of supporting their devices for years.

Yep, even after discontinuing something!

Hard work and guts!

stamkorg wrote:
hag01 wrote:

For example,

No problems at 48Khz and 64 samples with a Focusrite 6i6 1st gen on my 6 years old laptop (dual core i5 2,53Ghz) at 96 notes of polyphony max. The OS is Librazik, a linux distro.
usb or midi? I don't know, I use a midi/usb cable from the keyboard to the pc directly. The idea is to separate the midi and the audio signals.
I don't think you need a TOTL soundcard to have a good sound, but you will need it for the lowest latencies, at least under Windows.

48Khz and 64 samples is my settings now with Xonar essence stx ii soundcard, which is not a professional audio interface(though it is great for audiophile experience when listening to beloved music).
but I'm on 16bit now, so if I'm getting the Steinberg ur22mkii I want to stay on 48Khz\64 samples but to rise up to 24 bit.
I don't know if someone here can evaluate whether this upgrade will give me what I want, but if so, it will be very helpfull.

I have the Steinberg UR22, and just got Pianoteq today (using both audio and midi on the UR22). I don't have any problem using that setting on the ASIO driver (48Khz / 64 samples). I do have a decent PC (i7-4790K @ 4GHz), so I don't know at what point below those specs that issues would start arising.

As an aside, I totally recommend the UR22 - the drivers are rock-solid. Although I did fancy a new Focusrite when I was buying, I'm boycotting them as they rendered my previous card (which wasn't very old)  obsolete when I upgraded to Windows 10 - they're not interested in supporting stuff they no longer sell.

Not saying you have to spend RME money to get decent results as there are many acceptable interfaces around. That being said, I picked up a used babyface cheap enough and it provides so much more stability in the USB drivers than the POS m-audio fastrack pro that it replaced. That thing never was stable through a multitude of different driver versions, OS's etc. VERY happy with the extra dollars spent on the RME. Plus a good support community as well. Hope it helps (somebody).