Topic: Just A Lark

Bluethner used on light-hearted romp for holiday season. Enjoy! Original composition.

https://soundcloud.com/honjr/just-a-lark

Re: Just A Lark

Really nice! It's so great to hear and be inspired by original compositions.

Do you notate some of your compositions, Hugh? If so, which software do you use, and do you place any of your scores online?

Thanks.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (02-03-2017 01:27)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Really nice! It's so great to hear and be inspired by original compositions.

Do you notate some of your compositions, Hugh? If so, which software do you use, and do you place any of your scores online?

Thanks.

Hi Stephen, I am not familiar yet with how people post their scores online - perhaps you could inform me. All my stuff is done in Cubase, which seems adequate, and I do generate scores from there for my own records but (1) have not spent much time with the Cubase "Score Editor" - i.e., some of my hasty efforts result in say some notes being placed in a staff inconvenient for sight reading, and/or often the results of my lack of concerted effort to master the Score Editor are to keep the exact note durations (which results in a plethora of unruly [but quite impressive looking!] combinations of rests. I actually think that the note durations are of enormous value, so this is a "mistake" I'm thankful for and would not reverse) and (2) some of my pieces have too many notes to be placed in two staves but I'm too lazy so far to remedy that. You should email me at honjr1@gmail.com and I'd be happy to give you more information, including copies of any scores, and hear from you how you like to generate scores. [Also, if anyone else happens to be interested in any scores, they too can email me at the above]. So please feel free to email me and let me know what you think!

Hugh

Hello Hugh. Thank you for all the information, and for some insight into your working methods.

As for my own working methods, I like to use the scoring/notation program MuseScore (available for Windows, Mac OS and Linux), which I am very happy with on my Linux computer (which is also what I run Pianoteq on, and it runs like a dream).

MuseScore notation program, free application for Windows/MacOS/Linux
https://musescore.org

Notating can seem (and often is) tedious, but lately I have begun to notate a few of my pieces, and to post them at MuseScore.com--

https://musescore.com/stephen_doonan

I've been using some YouTube videos I made as one of the audio sources for the scores I've already notated, and MuseScore.com has a very nice utility for highlighting each measure of a score as one listens to one of the (often several different) audio sources.

The most complicated score I've produced so far, which took several days of focused effort, is for my piece Arabesque 1, here--

https://musescore.com/stephen_doonan/arabesque-1

I think it's well worth learning how to use a dedicated notation program, especially for a person of your talent and expertise, in order to produce scores that are easy to read (as easy as possible) for others who would like to learn some of your pieces. I find the process a little slow, but ultimately rewarding.

Thanks so much for your comments. I'm going to think about which of your pieces I might like to try to learn. I know that I couldn't perform them as well as you because of my somewhat disabled right arm and hand, but it would be fun to try to learn one.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (02-03-2017 03:07)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Enjoyed it very much. I've always had a lot of deep respect for composers, something I want to try doing someday as well like you guys.

Last edited by lamadoo (02-03-2017 16:49)

lamadoo wrote:

Enjoyed it very much. I've always had a lot of deep respect for composers, something I want to try doing someday as well like you guys.

That's a great idea. One way, assuming (for example, or for argument's sake) you're too busy earning a living, or preoccupied otherwise, to pursue it in depth at this stage, is to just sort of keep it in the back of your mind - as something that helps drive and sustain your life - and take whatever opportunities you can to do it. Even under those circumstances, it's worth it I think