Topic: Playing a list of midi files in PianoTeq

Anyone knows how to have PainoTeq play automatically a list of midi files without the need to load and play each file seperately?

Thanks.

Kawai CA97, PianoTeq STD 5.3 Bluthner

Last edited by YossiA (26-07-2015 12:00)

Re: Playing a list of midi files in PianoTeq

In linux and osx, you can easily write a shell script that does this. For w**dows, it might be a bit more complicated. I don't know if "batch files" would be able to do even such simple task.

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

It's really ridiculous that you're "censoring" the word Windows. Grow up.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

It's really ridiculous that you're "censoring" the word Windows. Grow up.

I prefer the term "WinDO$".   I think he means to imply that it's "unspeakable" in polite company.  If he's got a shell script that will do this in Linux, I'd like to have it.

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

DOS is not a part of Windows since ummmmm WinXP? Again - grow up

Hard work and guts!

Audacious under Linux properly queues up MIDI files for Pianoteq to play without any need for special MIDI loopback/redirection software.

vanBasco's Karaoke Player runs under Windoze - though very little else of any USE does.

It will play ONE folder full at a time, sequentially or random shuffle.
You need LoopBe1 (internal midi) to connect its midi output to Pianoteq's midi input.

I may hack up something that will play anything/everything within a directory tree - or in windoze terms, folders within folders within folders.

I gave up on Gates' nonsense a while ago, animated paper clips popping up with irrelevant "tips", etc.

Last edited by aandrmusic (27-07-2015 10:56)

Mossy wrote:

Audacious under Linux properly queues up MIDI files for Pianoteq to play without any need for special MIDI loopback/redirection software.

Can't seem to find where to add Pianoteq as the MIDI plugin.  Never mind, I found it, but do you know where to find the Pianoteq Demo in the Linux file structure?

Last edited by GRB (27-07-2015 15:46)

EvilDragon wrote:

Get a sense of humour.  It's not necessary to post insults to people who really feel they have been abused by M$'s business model over many years.  Plus I referred to the virus ridden over-priced bloat as DO$ not DOS. Live with it.

Last edited by GRB (27-07-2015 15:57)

It's not an insult, it's a plea.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

It's not an insult, it's a plea.

It doesn't come across that way,  Many of us have an extreme distaste for WinDO$ for many reasons.  One of the reasons I love Pianoteq is that it runs natively on Linux.

Last edited by GRB (27-07-2015 15:50)

EvilDragon wrote:

Windows still drags with it a huge history of "issues" from its DOS/QDOS and windows 95 days, like... core system files being limited to 8.3 filenames, the hideous primary key database at the center of the "OS" called the "system registry" (the last place where such a database belongs)... i/o system calls (files, tcp sockets, IPC, ...) that are completely awkward and contrary to what any sane OS does, etc etc. Having been a programmer since those days for a variety of platforms, it's my personal experience that windows is the ONLY one that constantly, purposely gives both users and developers nothing but constant headaches and trouble. Not surprising, since DOS was a cheap ripoff of a system called CP/M that was popular in the 1970's (look it up on wikipedia) and that was a cheap ripoff of the first Unix systems from the late 60's / early 70's. The making of windows started with the decorations, facade, etc... and now they're still struggling to fit a half-decent foundation under all that hideous mess.

Every OS has its good and bad points, except windows which has no good points - unless you count MARKETING as a good point. In the early 90's, a lot of people gained interest in computers and the internet, but almost no one knew anything about them ...so microsoft found itself in an easy position to use questionable marketing tacticts to sell backdoored, completely deficinet junk with a "pretty" interface to the ignorant masses, and then abuse its position as a monopoly in the IT market to clobber and/or buy out any and all form of competition. Which is the main reason why we have the complete microsoft-infested disaster that is today's IT market.

Another fun factoid is that microsoft even popped into existence by pirating and illegally selling software made by others: gwbasic or however that basic interpreter was called, QDOS "Quick and Dirty Operating System" originally made by a small company, i don't remember the name, which microsoft stole and sold to IBM, who renamed it to DOS for use with their "ibm pc"... If today's IT laws existed back in the 80's, or even the 90's, microsoft would certainly not exist anymore today.

The slogan of pretty much anything made (or stolen) by microsoft should be "designed to sell, not to work".

delt wrote:

core system files being limited to 8.3 filenames

This is not true since NT times. There ARE a lot of 8.3 filenames because they've been there since W95, sure. But newer system files definitely can (and do) have longer filenames.

delt wrote:

The slogan of pretty much anything made (or stolen) by microsoft should be "designed to sell, not to work".

This is also complete bullshit. I've never had problems with Windows 7 in all 4 years of it being installed. Not a single crash, blue screen, or whatever. It just works! During those 4 years I've seen more Macs freeze and crash than W7 computers. Just to balance things out.

Linux... I guess it's good for programmers and control freaks that know too much for their own good. Me, I like my compatibility with 20 year old programs (impossible on OSX - I assume possible on Linux, but not to the same extent?), and of course familiarity plays a huge role.

Last edited by EvilDragon (27-07-2015 21:32)
Hard work and guts!

Hi YossiA,

If you use Windows you can install a virtual device like LoopBe1 (www.nerds.de) and use it to input data on Pianoteq (like aandrmusic recommends) ; then you could use e.g., Windows MediaPlayer to manage your playlists.

Or you can  install an application/utility that plays midi files and supports vst instruments (I use an old version of SynthFont that allows the use of a vst instument by default).

Hope it helps.

Last edited by mfiadeiro (28-07-2015 16:01)

delt wrote:

In linux and osx, you can easily write a shell script that does this. For w**dows, it might be a bit more complicated. I don't know if "batch files" would be able to do even such simple task.

By the way, all the shell commands work in Windows, as well. It's simple to add it to a shortcut's Target field. Example:

"C:\Program Files\Modartt\Pianoteq 5\Pianoteq 5.exe" --fullscreen --midi foo.mid --play-and-quit

Hard work and guts!

Thanks everyone!

I tried the Synthfont since it appeared to me an easily implementable workaround. Unfortunately, it does not support my Pianoteq 64bit VST plugin. I am reluctant changing to 32bit VST just for this.

The LoopBE option appears too complex for me - I am not a digital expert.

Thanks anyway.

YossiA

Ok, sorry i didn't answer the OP before....

On a real OS (in this case, that would be osx or linux) just make a small shell script that does something like:

#!/bin/bash
for dir in "$@"; do
  for file in "$dir"/*.[Mm][Ii][Dd]; do
    "/wherever/you/installed/Pianoteq 5/amd64/Pianoteq 5" --headless --play-and-quit --midi "$file"
  done
done

Just replace "/wherever/you/installed/Pianoteq 5/adm64" by the directory where the Pianoteq executable is located. Now run this script with the directory(ies) containing midi files as arguments, for example: ~/name-of-script.sh /tmp/midi1 /tmp/midi2

If you want the pianoteq window to appear at each midi file, remove --headless.

Same can be done on a REAL OS that's called Windows, using a batch or powershell script.

Hard work and guts!

I'd be curious to see a batch file capable of even such a simple task. Batch files are MUCH inferior to unix shell scripts, of which they are a cheap ripoff. I say this after spending countless hours trying to get stuff done with batch files, only to constantly run into headaches, problems, bugs, inconsistencies, and (often completely arbitrary) limitations. I often found myself "patching" missing functionality by compiling small programs in other programming languages - whenever that was possible.

I suspect the name "batch" file comes from "bash", but that's just my personal speculation.

No, "batch" comes from English language:

batch
baCH/
noun
noun: batch; plural noun: batches

a quantity or consignment of goods produced at one time.
    "a batch of cookies"
        informal
        a number of things or people regarded as a group or set.
        "a batch of hostile letters came"
        synonyms:    group, quantity, lot, bunch, mass, cluster, raft, set, collection, bundle, pack; More
        consignment, shipment
        "when can we expect the next batch of invoices?"
        Computing
        a group of records processed as a single unit, usually without input from a user.

Powershell scripts can definitely do it, they have looping and stuff like that.

Last edited by EvilDragon (30-07-2015 09:39)
Hard work and guts!

As I recall "Batch file" dates back to the punched card era.
At a guess wiki has an article showing the break down of card trays that represented a batch; unique cards signaled beginning of job, end of file, etc.

I might look it up, later, if/when I have nothing better to do - right now I have MUCH better things to do, like leave this topic.

EvilDragon wrote:

No, "batch" comes from English language:

Yeah i know, i was referring to the usage of the word "batch" by the original creators of QDOS because of its resemblance to "bash", not the origin of the english word "batch" itself.

EvilDragon wrote:

Powershell scripts can definitely do it, they have looping and stuff like that.

If "powershell" existed back in the day, it "might" have saved me a lot of problems, or not. Or it "might" have caused even more problems. I'm not very familiar with "power shell" so i can't really say.

Powershell exists since 2006, Win XP SP2. It's a logical extension of batch scripts - indeed similar to bash scripting. Way more powerful.

Last edited by EvilDragon (30-07-2015 23:07)
Hard work and guts!

An old thread that went silly, as do so many 

Anyway, I have renewed my interest in this since I often use pianoteq as a Jukebox for background music while I do other things.
I would like to know if anyone has any tips for capturing the title and displaying it in pianoteq's bar just below the menu bar, i.e. where it displays "Blues Demo" when D4 is selected.
This field is filled with the file name (not the title from within the midi file) when a single midi file is loaded via the file menu, I would like it to receive the title of each file from within the file as they are received from play lists.

It would also be nice to display the progress in the time bar, but that is secondary.

EDIT:
Last night I remembered that I had used Winamp for exactly this (a couple of decades ago when I was using Windoze).
It works in a guest virtual machine running Win7 on a Linux host (VirtualBox).
I haven't  plumbed the full depth of the latest version, but from memory I think it can go something like 10 levels deep in a directory tree.
I don't know what 10 levels deep in a directory tree is in windowspeak, - - maybe (folders(folders))**10
The visualization tab is amusing.

The default configuration plays through windows sound something - to change that to use Pianoteq first install Loopbe1 and start that, then go to winamp menu
options>preferences>plug-ins>input
select Nullsoft MIDI player, click on configure
choose Device tab, click on the drop down arrow, select  "midout/LoopBe1 Internal MIDI"
then OK.

You may have to restart it to get the new settings to take effect.
...and of course set Pianoteq to listen to LoopBe1

I know, it seems ODD that you have to do this edit on midi OUTPUT by selecting the INPUT plugin - that is how it is so don't think that the line
"options>preferences>plug-ins>input"
above is a typo.

:END EDIT

Last edited by aandrmusic (04-03-2017 14:04)