Topic: What is limiting me - CPU or soundcard?

CPU - i5-4440
Soundcard - Asus STRIX RAID DLX PCI-E

If I'm setting my soundcard ASIO driver to 24 bit Pianoteq doesn't work well, I can only use 16bit definition.

So now the best definition I can set for pianoteq is:
Bit-Depth: 16bit
Buffer size: 64 samples(1.3 ms)
Sample rate: 48000 Hz

What upgrade do I need for higher definitions, better CPU or better sound card? both?

Re: What is limiting me - CPU or soundcard?

Your CPU is certainly up to the task: mine is way slower and runs Pianoteq on 24 bit resolution, without any problem, but I can live with more latency. Did you try a bigger buffer size?

Yep, that's not a soundcard you should be using for professional audio purposes.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Yep, that's not a soundcard you should be using for professional audio purposes.

OK, I started searching a professional soundcard for the use of Pianoteq.

What soundcard would you recommend?

What do you think about Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for this purpose?

Last edited by hag01 (17-02-2017 17:41)

Should be better than what you currently have, but I would suggest to look at something that has proper MIDI ports to connect your MIDI controler, like 2i4.

If money is no object, I will always recommend RME - Babyface or Babyface Pro would be perfect. Best ASIO drivers, period.

Last edited by EvilDragon (17-02-2017 20:09)
Hard work and guts!

+1 for an soundcard WITH a true MIDI connection. Some audio interfaces, even expensive ones, don't like to share their USB connection. Like my MOTU 896 Hybrid MKIII.

Hello hag01,

If you only need to play for yourself with some headphones, your hardware should be ok. Have you tried a audio wrapper like ASIO4ALL?

At 48kHz with 128 samples should work just fine. In my case and since Pianoteq needs some processing power, I had to create a power profile with cpu always at 100% of available speed (i.e., at nominal processor speed).

If you need to save audio files or to post process them, then yes, an external sound card is the best solution.

Last edited by mfiadeiro (10-03-2017 22:51)

What about Steinberg UR22mkII?

Is it better or worse than Focusrite Scarlett 2i4?

Should be better, yeah.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Should be better, yeah.

Great!
So I think I will go on the Steinberg UR22mkII.
It's even lower price than the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.

I have used the Steinberg UR  22 mk. ii for over a year and have been very pleased. No issues.

- David