Topic: Multi-channel MIDI layout format?

I'm trying to use the multi-channel MIDI layout format to create different mappings on different MIDI channels.

For example, a quarter tone scale (24 equal divisions of the octave) has twice as many pitches as my keyboard can handle. Ideally, I could map half the pitches onto MIDI channel 2 and the other half onto channel 3.

I can't figure out the right way to do this. According to the Scala help page, if you load one mapping with a "_1" at the end of the filename, and you have mappings with the same name + "_2" and/or "_3" at the end of the filename, all these mappings should be loaded at once and each one applies to its corresponding MIDI channel. http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/help.htm#mappings

That doesn't seem to be how it works in Pianoteq. I haven't been able to figure out exactly how Pianoteq deals with the multi-channel MIDI layout. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Multi-channel MIDI layout format?

I'm afraid you won't be able to put one half on the quarter tone scale on one channel, and the other half on another channel.

The current implementation of multi-channel kbm is not the one from scala (it was not suitable to us to have 1 different kbm file for each channel). It is more restricted. You choose the “main” MIDI channel, i.e. the midi channel that will contain the diapason note. On that channel Pianoteq will try to fit as many notes as possible , and then for the next channel it will transpose everything by one octave, etc.

For example if the “main” channel is chosen as MIDI channel 2, for a twelve-tone scale, playing (note 60 channel 2) will have the same pitch as (note 48 channel 3), and also (note 36 channel 4), (note 72 channel 1) and (note 84 channel 16), (note 96 channel 15).

Re: Multi-channel MIDI layout format?

OK, thanks.

I thought it was worth a try. For now I'm using multiple iterations of Pianoteq on different channels which is clunky but works well.