Topic: relative volume levels

Today I was playing the Ruckers harpsichords and was impressed by the big sound.
Then I switched to (among others) the Grotrian Concert Royal and it did not sound bigger and did not have a higher volume than the harpsichord, without adjusting the output level.

This makes me think the volumes of the different Pianoteq instruments are not tuned in realistic relation to each other, but optimized/normalized per instrument.
I have no opinion if this choice is good or bad. I am just wondering if my observation is correct?

I don't own such real instruments, so I cannot compare in reality, but I think a modern grand piano has more volume (when played around mezzoforte) than a harpsichord? (Not to mention a clavichord or toy piano LOL ;-) )

Re: relative volume levels

That's because harpsichords don't have dynamics, so the Dynamics slider value is different for pianos vs harpsichords.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

That's because harpsichords don't have dynamics, so the Dynamics slider value is different for pianos vs harpsichords.

I can see your point, but am not entirely convinced that answers my question.

If I put a (real) Grand Piano and a (real) Harpsichord side by side, and the play them both with the same medium force, will the Grand Piano produce more dB than the Harpsichord? Difficult to test because you will, consciously or unconsciously, use a different playing technique on the different keyboards.

If I do the same thing, using one and the same keyboard controller, playing a Pianoteq Grand Piano preset and a Pianoteq Harpsichord, should their volumes in relation to each other correspond with the real world? I know with Pianoteq I can decide for myself how to set the volume levels and velocity curves. But I am wondering what choice was made when creating the factory presets and settings.

And with the electric pianos and clavinets it's again a completely different story I guess.

Having owned grand pianos for many years and (one) harpsichord for 20 years, I can reasonably assert that a piano will sound louder, on average.  Yes, pianissimo on a 9 foot grand will be softer than engaging all registers and all 10 fingers on a harpsichord, but generally the harpsichord sounds lighter. dB measurements might tell a different story for all I know, but the piano has a greater weighting of the fundamental tone, the harpsichord contains more higher harmonics. Thus the piano sound will be weightier, the harpsichord lighter. Not quite flute and tuba, but you get the idea. With Pianoteq I set the volume a few notches lower on the Ruckers than on the Steinway B, which is my usual piano at present.  I have noticed over the years that recording companies set the output too high for harpsichords - even worse with clavichords, of course. So I also set my amp volume lower for solo harpsichord listening from cd.