Topic: Set-up issue?

Hi all. I'm completely new to pianoteq and have downloaded the basic version this evening. I installed the free driver which gives seemingly a good response from pressing a key with very little lag time. I have also set up the basic settings such as key stroke, sustain etc.

I have a good quality set of headphones which I'm running direct from my laptop at the moment. I am disappointed that all the piano sounds appear to be very distant with too much echo and are a bit lifeless . I've tried adjusting the reverb settings which helps a little but I'm still not very happy with things.

The demo instruments at the top of the page sound fantastic with lots of life and character when playing the demo song and scrolling through the different pianos. Am I doing something wrong? What should I check out first? Sorry if my terminology is not great, with help and your advice hopefully it'll improve!

Thanks all!
James

Re: Set-up issue?

Hello James,

More information is always useful when trying to understand a problem.   What laptop?,  what soundcard?, What headphones?

What keyboard,  and have you calibrated it's key velocity to Pianoteq?

Ian

Also, what demo song(s) are you listening to? The built-in demo tune or the ones from the website?

Pianoteq 6 Standard (Steinway D&B, Grotrian, Petrof, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Blüthner, K2, YC5, U4, Kremsegg 1&2, Karsten, Electric, Hohner)

Hi all. Thanks for getting back to me...

Piano Yamaha ydp161
Headphones sennheiser eh250
Soundcard the free one from pianoteq 5
Labto - lenovo but no idea which one. It's about 4 moths old.

I've tried the calibration a couple of times it helps a little but sounds metallic then but still distant and lacking warmth and character. The built in demo tune, blues - sounds great on that!

Thanks
James

Last edited by James (05-10-2014 08:08)

James wrote:

Hi all. Thanks for getting back to me...

Piano Yamaha ydp161
Soundcard the free one from pianoteq 5
Labto - lenovo but no idea which one. It's about 4 moths old.

I've tried the calibration a couple of times it helps a little but sounds metallic then but still distant and lacking warmth and character. The built in demo tune, blues - sounds great on that!

Thanks
James

James,

Are you using the Yamaha UX-16 MIDI/USB interface?   You have connected the IN and OUT plugs correctly?  Many folk have been confused and connected them in reverse.

There is no Pianoteq free soundcard.   You mean it uses your Lenovo sound engine.   If this is like my Lenovo,  I had to buy an external USB soundcard.  The built-in sound engine in the Lenovo might be just adequate to play a demo but perhaps a live performance is too much for the power of your Lenovo and its sound engine.  Remember that most laptop built-in sound engines (i.e. built on the motherboard) use some of the laptops processing power.   

Ian

Last edited by Beemer (05-10-2014 17:15)

Beemer wrote:

Remember that most laptop built-in sound engines (i.e. built on the motherboard) use some of the laptops processing power.

Negligible. But built-in sound is rarely known for linearity and low noise. Often it sounds tinny and is quite noisy as well.

Pianoteq 6 Standard (Steinway D&B, Grotrian, Petrof, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Blüthner, K2, YC5, U4, Kremsegg 1&2, Karsten, Electric, Hohner)

Hi all - wonder if I could resurrect this post for advice? I've downloaded the standard version now which is deffinately and improvement with microphone placement, etc. However I noticed that the Blues demo at the top of the pianoteq screen still sounds far better in terms of sound quality than my sounds do when I play the keys on the piano. There is a significant difference still. I've noticed that the demo sound changes when you alter settings so I presume this is the idea behind the demo? - to get an good representation of what the changes will be when you make them for the actual piano/keyboard you're using. Is this correct? If so something is amiss with my setup I fear. My setup is as previous post.

Piano Yamaha ydp161
Using Asio4all v2
Labtop - lenovo G500 with ConexantSmartAudioHD

Is the labtop good enough or do I need to rethink with USB sound card? if so any recommendations?