Topic: Newbie query

Hi all, I've got a few questions. Any help grateful.

1.I've got the stage version. Is the standard one significantly better for someone who doesn't want to spend a long time fiddling with settings?

2. I'm looking for a boogie woogie style (Dr John type) sound. Noticed that someone has done an fxp file. I've not heard of these before. Can I use in my version? If not any recommendations on piano sound effect I could try?

Thanks

Last edited by James (05-01-2017 16:37)

Re: Newbie query

The stage version cannot load fxp files, but the presets are all same in all Pianoteq versions so see if one of them works for you.   There are many which might emulate a boogie-woogie piano, such as the D4 HonkyTonk setting.    If you are not interested in fiddling with settings then the stage is best, because it has fewest.    However,  you can also download a demo version of the standard Pianoteq to try out different fxp files and evaluate of the standard version is an improvement for you.

You can load FXPs into Stage, but you Stage will only use the parameters you can set from Stage.

With the Standard version you can load FXPs and it will use all the adjustments, even if you could only set them in the Pro UI.  That's one of the advantages of Standard over Stage.  There are many (expert) Pro who generously share their fxps with per-note adjustments ( you can only make those changes in Pro, but Standard will use them from an FXP ).

Standard probably isn't for you if you don't need or want to use fxp's or have any interest in tweaking the models.

StephenG

Thanks all. After using the trial of the standard one for a day or two I've downloaded it! Quick question though...

I'm using a yamaha arius ydp 161. There is a velocity curve in the forum for a similar arius but I can't seem to copy/paste it into my program. Any ideas?  Tried control c/V and right click mouse.? Thanks

Take the file name in the directory list for your downloaded velocity file, and drag it over the graph of velocity in pianoteq.  When you let go of your mouse key, it will be there as your new velocity curve.

- David

sjgcit wrote:

You can load FXPs into Stage, but you Stage will only use the parameters you can set from Stage.

With the Standard version you can load FXPs and it will use all the adjustments, even if you could only set them in the Pro UI.  That's one of the advantages of Standard over Stage.  There are many (expert) Pro who generously share their fxps with per-note adjustments ( you can only make those changes in Pro, but Standard will use them from an FXP ).

Standard probably isn't for you if you don't need or want to use fxp's or have any interest in tweaking the models.

I have Standard. Does this mean I can fully run an FXP made in Pro even though I do not own a particular model? For instance, some of these FXP presets are presented as combinations of two models. What happens if I only own one of them, or doesn't that matter?

Last edited by Fleer (08-01-2017 18:54)
Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

Any given fxp requires the corresponding model (such as harp, blüthner, or grotrian) for that fxp to be accessed.  Why?  Because that particular fxp is filed within the given model's folder.

jcfelice88keys wrote:

Any given fxp requires the corresponding model (such as harp, blüthner, or grotrian) for that fxp to be accessed.  Why?  Because that particular fxp is filed within the given model's folder.

So if it says "Based on Grand Bluethner. Mixing the Model B with the Bluethner." you only need the Blüthner?

If you dump a Model B fxp into a Blüthner (without owning the model B), you will not get the model B sound in your Blüthner -- if you don't already own the Model B.

I see, but it's the combination of two models I'm wondering about.

Fleer wrote:

I see, but it's the combination of two models I'm wondering about.

Hello Mr. Fleer,

If you are interested in the combination of two models, THAT might be possible ... if you own both models, and you load two instances of Pianoteq, and set them both to receive the same midi channel from your keyboard.  I haven't tried it.  Please beware that there might be some phasing problems between the outputs of two different signals, and depending on your computer's power, you might have trouble loading more than one instance of Pianoteq.

About seven years ago, I made a Youtube video of George Gershwin's "Variations on I've Got Rhythm"  that used two instances of (then) Pianoteq 3. That was done by setting Pianoteq to receive two different channels.  (It's not the same as what I have described as above, with two models using the SAME midi input channel.) By today's standards, this video sounds quaint and not very real, because of only Pianoteq Version 3 and I panned the two pianos too far apart from each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTgsBEkSHL8

Cheers,

Joe

Thank you, Joe!

jcfelice88keys wrote:

About seven years ago, I made a Youtube video of George Gershwin's "Variations on I've Got Rhythm" -Joe

What a wonderful performance.

--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

James wrote:

Hi all, I've got a few questions. Any help grateful.

1.I've got the stage version. Is the standard one significantly better for someone who doesn't want to spend a long time fiddling with settings? ...

Hi - Can I piggy back on the OP please? I have the same question, with a specific goal in mind. I've got a song where I'm playing mainly in two octaves surrounding middle C. Right now it understandably only takes a relatively limited portion of the stereo field, and what I'd like to do is to widen it out a bit.

I know I can do that in my DAW (Cubase), but I was wondering what I would need to do to do that in Pianoteq? I've got Stage ... do I need to move up to Standard to do that, or is there a way it can be done in Stage?

Thanks much!

Last edited by SmilingKeys (14-01-2017 23:05)

I am pretty sure you can do this in Standard, but I am unsure whether Stage will allow you to do this:

If Stage has the ability to go in and modify microphone positions, then in the same screen one can adjust the stereo width by means of a slider.

Cheers,

Joe