Topic: How about a split keyboard mode?

Not sure if anyone else has suggested it, but I think it would be great to have a 'split keyboard' mode in Pianoteq. Any 2 presets could be compared instantly, side by side, instead of switching A/B. And if you wanted to have the bass half of one piano and the treble half of another, you could!

Re: How about a split keyboard mode?

dazric wrote:

Not sure if anyone else has suggested it, but I think it would be great to have a 'split keyboard' mode in Pianoteq. Any 2 presets could be compared instantly, side by side, instead of switching A/B. And if you wanted to have the bass half of one piano and the treble half of another, you could!

Most sequencing applications, i.e:  Logic, Cubase etc., allow you to load as many 'Pianoteqs' as you want ... then you can not only have zones but also make them cross fade and do all sorts of things.  This is commonly called "hosting".  That is to say, the sequencing applicaion or program "hosts" the external application software.  A different Pianoteq preset can be played simultaneously for each track.  You don't have to record anything if you don't want.  Just play!

Lanny

That's useful info, thanks. Not sure I can justify the expense of Logic or Cubase (my sequencing needs are very basic), however I did come across a free version of MuLab which will let me experiment with multiple Pianoteq sounds. MuLab doesn't seem to do keyboard zones, but it's a good start.

You don't care whether or not the hosting application program does zoning.  You set up your presets in Pianoteq to play in the areas of the keyboard where you want.  You are only using the host program to bring up a different instance of Pianoteq for each track you have set up.

Your light will turn on any minute now!  (just kidding)  Have fun!.  You can listen to an example of this very technique in the Grotrian demo page:  Fractals  That demo piece includes 1) Grotrian, 2) Vibraphone, 3) the Acoustic bass preset in Logic 8 (a General MIDI sample), and 4) one of the normal Pianoteq presets that are voiced - Piano split bass.  Fractals was recorded as a layer - not multi-tracked.  This is the very thing you are trying to figure out how to do.

Hope this helps,

Lanny

dazric wrote:

That's useful info, thanks. Not sure I can justify the expense of Logic or Cubase (my sequencing needs are very basic)...

Look at Reaper. It's very affordable and quite flexible and powerful. Once you start using it, you'll wonder how you did without it before.