Topic: Sustain Pedal does not release when loading midi files

Hi, hopefully someone could help.

I have some MIDI files created (exported) with MuseScore 2 where I used Pedals Hold and Release in composition.

If I use continously \_____/\______/\_______/ this won't work in Pianoteq, the pedal is continiously in status hold.

If I left the pedal released for 1 bar, this will work.

I guess this is something based on MIDI sequence timings.

I am not sure for how long the MuseScore export will "release" the Pedal on the "/\" mark.

Is it possible to configure somewhere in Pianoteq, even to full release and hold the pedal again just if this MIDI sequence is recognized for a very short moment like (1ms) ?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Tom

Re: Sustain Pedal does not release when loading midi files

Here is a sample MIDI file on Sheet PDF.

As you can see there are Release and Hold events between bars 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 but ARE NOT handled by pianoteq.

Release after bar 5, Hold at bar 7, Release during bar 8 IS handled.

Link to MIDI file: https://musescore.org/sites/musescore.o...h_Fair.mid

Link to Sheet PDF: https://musescore.org/sites/musescore.o...h_Fair.pdf

Hello Mr. ThF,

I downloaded the midi file for Scarborough Fair to my hard drive, and then loaded it into Digital Performer 9 to see what was going on:

It turns out the Controller #64 (sustain pedal) was turned on and off at the following times:

Measure #1, Beat #1, 002 Pedal On
Measure #2, Beat #1, 001 Pedal Off, followed IMMEDIATELY by Pedal On on event 002 in Measure #2, Beat #1. 
Similar events occurred in Measures #3, #4 and #5 -- as follows:
Measure #3, Beat #1, 001 Pedal Off, followed IMMEDIATELY by Pedal On on event 002 in Measure #3, Beat #1.
Measure #4, Beat #1, 001 Pedal Off, followed IMMEDIATELY by Pedal On on event 002 in Measure #4, Beat #1.
Measure #5, Beat #1, 001 Pedal Off, followed IMMEDIATELY by Pedal On on event 002 in Measure #5, Beat #1.

In Measure #6, Beat #1, event 001, the Pedal was OFF for the entire measure.
In Measure #7, Beat #1, event 002, the Pedal was turned ON for the entire measure.

In Measure #8, Beat #1, event 001, the Pedal was OFF for the entire measure.
In Measure #9, Beat #1, event 002, the Pedal was turned ON for the entire measure.

Finally, in Measure #10, Beat #1, the pedal was shut off.

So here is why the sustain pedal "appeared" not to be working in the early measures:
As soon as it was turned off (Controller #64 was sent a value of 0) in event 001, one 480th of a measure later (event 002), it was turned back on!!!

You need to give a few ticks for the sustain pedal to come off, before turning it on again.  If you are using an automated program such as Musescore, then you need to delay the onset of the Pedal, at least the value of a 16th note (semiquaver) or an 8th note (quaver) before sending on a Controller !64 value of 127.  That will solve your problem.

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Joe

thanks a lot for your time and checks. I am sure this describes completeley what happens.

I have created an issue on the musescore forum at:

https://musescore.org/en/node/149976

Hopefully they will have an idea to fix / optimize this.

Cheers
Tom