Topic: Pianoteq on Raspberry Pi?

Do you think Pianoteq could run on a Raspberry Pi? On the specs I see that it has an ARM processor, maybe that's a deal killer?

It'd be awesome to run Pianoteq on a small dedicated "invisible" hardware.

Re: Pianoteq on Raspberry Pi?

I saw an article about these and thought of PianoTeq, too. Just an RCA jack for video, but you could use one of those USB to HDMI cables for a normal monitor.

But the processor speed is only 700 MHz. And the The RAM is low--256M. Alas.

I've seen a lot of these ARM-based architectures getting vastly improved GPU hardware. Is there any chance that Pianoteq can be GPU accelerated? I'm not an audio simulation guru, but it seems to me that it could potentially benefit from massively parallel floating-point vector calculations.

It would just seem odd to me if a device that could play Quake 3 couldn't run Pianoteq in some usable manner.

I'd like to dig this old thread; any chance an ARM build would be feasible, especially since the RPi specs keep getting better? (the Pi3 has 1GB RAM and a beefier CPU)

I use a Kawai VPC1 and sometimes booting my laptop is a chore; using an always-on RPi would be a dream setup for me.

Cheers!

ARM is the deal killer, yeah.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

ARM is the deal killer, yeah.

How so? Is the ISA insufficient, or the processor too slow, or...?

It's a completely different architecture, Pianoteq only runs on x86 CPUs, needs SSE instruction set (IIRC), etc.

Last edited by EvilDragon (04-12-2016 21:14)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

It's a completely different architecture, Pianoteq only runs on x86 CPUs, needs SSE, etc.

Sure, but I guess Pianoteq is not written in x86 assembly, and ARM has vector instructions too... (not minimizing the effort required, but it should be possible)

Well, we don't know for sure, but I'd assume it's not a trivial matter otherwise Modartt would've done it by now if they saw it feasible.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Well, we don't know for sure, but I'd assume it's not a trivial matter otherwise Modartt would've done it by now if they saw it feasible.

Well, I'll just hope x86-based RPi alternatives (like the Udoo) actually ship

I guess I'm not the only one who would like to run Pianoteq on a headless, low-power, always-on device that does not crash

Sure you're not the only one.

In other news, I don't remember the last time my W7 (now W10) computer crashed. It's rock stable, and I'd be confident enough to take it live...

Hard work and guts!