Topic: Pedal configuration does not record.

Hi, I bought (over a year ago) and then upgraded to standard version (few months ago) pianoteq but only recently am using it.

I compose by layering, adding up details. I also add up pieces of few seconds by recording them on pianoteq and then exporting them into wave format. Those pieces are all put together in another software.

Here is my problem, I use a midi keyboard as input, and I do not have all the four pedal of pianoteq, in fact I have none. I would like to record with pedal pressed (on pianoteq) sometimes. When I do that, the recorded version in pianoteq does not record the pedals.

It is out of question for me to record live, as the computer which will be used is a notebook with a celeron processor. While pianteq does work with my current notebook (with atom processor), exporting is the only option I see without affecting sound quality, as I can have it set the best quality possible, while doing it live, I will be limited with my computer limitations.

Is there a way to do that (recording the pedals configurations while recording with pianoteq)? I have tried everything, but nothing worked.

tks

Last edited by Lucy (01-12-2016 18:22)

Re: Pedal configuration does not record.

So I assume you are setting the pedal using the mouse on the Pianoteq panel.   I see that this does not create any midi events so when you record in Pianoteq the pedal position is not stored.   So you need some way of generating a midi event to activate the pedal.  If you open up the options panel and select midi you can change the midi mapping.  Usually controller 64 is used for the sustain pedal.   If you click on controller 64 you get a menu to select which midi signal controls the sustain pedal.   If your keyboard can generate midi control or program change signals you could use one of these to control the sustain pedal.    I tried mapping a midi note to sustain pedal (so you could use one of you keyboard keys for the sustain), but it did not actually work, so I'm a bit puzzled.

I've noticed this too for pedals activated by the mouse which I want down continuously.

You might try hitting record first, then click the pedals you want down. I believe Pianoteq resets the pedals when you hit record. You might even have to first press a single note after starting to record, then set the pedals... I can't remember for sure.

Thanks both of you for the replies.

varpa, this seems too complicated, I just have a basic keyboard, I doubt I can do that.

Nathan, I just tried what you propose, it seems to make no differences.

There is another possibility, but it does not work. I could use pianoteq to record and export into midi file... then edit the file with a program adding sustain, and then returning to pianoteq and exporting to wav. But the softwares I have, when to music keys are too close together, it considers both as having been pressed together. Is there a solution for that? Any reason why it does that?

Ah, so varpa is correct. It would be nice if Pianoteq generated MIDI data for turning pedals on/off. Perhaps there's a reason why it doesn't.

OK, I might have found a solution, but before spending on a pedal, I need to know if what I am about to do will work.

If I buy a pedal, I guess it will register it as a midi event. Right?

Now, I will be wanting to use at least two of the other pedals (I have a keyboard which takes only one). Is there a way to do that? I know that I can only do this for one pedal at a time, but since I am recording little pieces at a time, would not matter. I see in the MIDI options of pianoteq, controller numbers. Can I change there and have instead of sustain another pedal? Does not matter if my keyboard is playing as long as what pianoteq records would the the medal I want.

tks.

Last edited by Lucy (02-12-2016 23:48)

That will easily work. Just right click the pedal you want to use, click 'controller 67' (or whatever is currently listed), then click 'assign midi event', and then press your actual foot pedal to assign it.