Topic: Pianoteq and VPC1

Hi. I'm thinking of getting a VPC1 and using it with Pianoteq on a mac mini (which I already have).

Is there a better keyboard for the money than the VPC1? I am a beyond grade 8 (but lapsed) classical piano player, and also enjoy playing some of the harpsichord repertoire.

Is there a better keyboard for more money?

Re: Pianoteq and VPC1

The Mac Mini will give you no problems - good you have one.  As for the keyoard, the VPC-1 is fine - but you might consider the newer Casio upright console pianos that have their new latest action - a design not unlike the VPC-1 but the keys are a little longer from the keyface to the fulcrum than the Casio.

Hard to go wrong with either.

Lanny

I've had a VPC1 for a few years. It's a fantastic keyboard, probably the best available at the time I purchased. My only complaint now is that it's not an MP11. If you live anywhere near Chicago, I'd sell you my VPC1.

tfishbein82 wrote:

My only complaint now is that it's not an MP11

This two Kawai products have different purposes. Except the length of the keys in MP11 quality of the action is the same.

Last edited by slobajudge (14-11-2016 09:43)

tfishbein82 wrote:

I've had a VPC1 for a few years. It's a fantastic keyboard, probably the best available at the time I purchased. My only complaint now is that it's not an MP11. If you live anywhere near Chicago, I'd sell you my VPC1.

Thanks tfishbein82, alas I live in Venice Italy so Chicago would be a bit far to go for a keyboard! Thanks for the offer though. May I ask why you would change to an MP11? I have no interest in the built in sounds as I propose to use Pianoteq, so is the action of the MP11 better in your opinion/experience? In what way?  I suppose once I start thinking about the MP11 then I say to myself "why not go for the CA67 because it has the Grand Feel II action" .. and then I back off because I don't want something so heavy ..But if the action is definitely better then I am very open to being pushed in that direction.

AndyU wrote:
tfishbein82 wrote:

Thanks tfishbein82, alas I live in Venice Italy so Chicago would be a bit far to go for a keyboard! Thanks for the offer though. May I ask why you would change to an MP11? I have no interest in the built in sounds as I propose to use Pianoteq, so is the action of the MP11 better in your opinion/experience? In what way?  I suppose once I start thinking about the MP11 then I say to myself "why not go for the CA67 because it has the Grand Feel II action" .. and then I back off because I don't want something so heavy ..But if the action is definitely better then I am very open to being pushed in that direction.

Hi AndyU,
i live a lot closer to Venice, Milan Italy.....
go ahead with the VPC1....it is a fantastic keyboard. it has everything you need. the only possible upgrade i can think of is a real grand-piano keyboard......but this is not the matter or the topic

regards
luca

traver02 wrote:
AndyU wrote:
tfishbein82 wrote:

Hi AndyU,
i live a lot closer to Venice, Milan Italy.....
go ahead with the VPC1....it is a fantastic keyboard. it has everything you need. the only possible upgrade i can think of is a real grand-piano keyboard......but this is not the matter or the topic

regards
luca

Good to know, since I've ordered a VPC1 few weeks ago, and now waiting for it to arrive on a ship from Japan.

I have a Kawai VPC1 and am relatively happy with it, but I do find the action is rather heavy. I like all the features otherwise, but I wonder if someone could recommend a weighted real-piano feel high quality controller with 88 keys but a somewhat lighter action? 

As a point of explanation, I play both classical piano and the historic instruments, including clavichord and harpsichords, on Pianoteq, so an action that is a little more flexible and just slightly closer to that of the early pianos and other keyboard instruments would be ideal for me. Not unweighted, but just a bit lighter. Right now I sometimes resort to using my Roland C-30 electronic harpsichord as a controller to play the earlier instruments, but even for the classical piano use, my preference is for a slightly lighter touch. My acoustic piano is a Petrof 52" upright with a Renner action, which is slightly lighter than the Kawai. If an alternative also happened to have aftertouch, that would also be great; I've found the suggested settings to make the pedal on the VPC1 control aftertouch (for use on the Clavichord), simply do not work with my setup.

If I can find one that is superior to the VPC1 in that regard (from my subjective point of view), I may sell the VPC1 and switch. Thanks to anyone venturing a suggestion.

Amateur Standalone PTQ user; interests classical music, especially Bach and Mozart, and historic keyboards

Based on research, and not on self experience(yet), I know that the Kawai MP11 with the Grand Feel action has lighter touch.
Also, if you don't must a slab piano, and you have enough space for a furniture digital piano, there is the Kawai CA67 and the Kawai CA97 with the Grand Feel II action, which is also lighter.

I wonder how the VPC1 would feel compared to the CA97 I tried.
I bought it based on research because I didn't had the options to try it, nor the MP11. but I assumed it would be safer to go on the heavy side, because most of the acoustic I played on is heavier than most of the digital I played on.
I bought it to play pure piano by the way.
Anyway, it should arrive very very soon now.