Topic: Pianoteq doesn't see keyboard

This problem just popped up after a year of using Pianoteq without a problem.

I have a Windows 10 desktop. Recently, after the computer's been on for a while and the keyboard has been turned off for a while, and I turn on the keyboard, Pianoteq which has been left open doesn't see the MIDI driver.

1. I turn on the Casio keyboard
2. The computer makes a sound of a MIDI device being plugged in.
3. I play the keyboard
4. Nothing happens on the Pianoteq virtual keyboard
5. I turn off and on the keyboard. Nothing happens.
6. I turn off and on Pianoteq. Nothing happens.
7. I restart the computer. This solves the problem.

I don't want to have to restart my desktop practically every time I want to play the piano. This is the case recently.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

Re: Pianoteq doesn't see keyboard

I had the same issue for a short time.

I found that setting 'Active MIDI inputs' to 'Listen to all MIDI inputs' fixed it for me.

I've made some other changes since then and can now set it to listen only to my digital piano.

I always have ALL MIDI INPUTS selected. When I have this problem, however, my Casio keyboard appears below, but it appears unselected, and I am unable to select it.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

beakybird wrote:

I always have ALL MIDI INPUTS selected. When I have this problem, however, my Casio keyboard appears below, but it appears unselected, and I am unable to select it.

Anybody figured out why the midi keyboard would be listed but can't be selected? This is happening to me randomly, not sure if there's a pattern.
Restarting the PC would actually solve this but that's not a solution really.

Tarek wrote:
beakybird wrote:

Anybody figured out why the midi keyboard would be listed but can't be selected? This is happening to me randomly, not sure if there's a pattern.
Restarting the PC would actually solve this but that's not a solution really.

I found a solution in my case.

I installed MIDI Ox on my computer. I don't know all that it does, but it can diagnose MIDI issues. In my case, when the MIDI controller wasn't being detected in Pianoteq, I ran a diagnostic, and there was an error message about my keyboard. I can't remember the whole message, but it said to to turn off other applications.

When I turned off Chrome and Office, Pianoteq worked fine. I could turn on Chrome and Office afterwards without problem. So it seems that in my case, when the computer is idle, other programs are creating clutter, and blocking the USB MIDI input.

If anyone knows a tweak so that I can prevent this from happening, that would be great. Otherwise, I can live with this intermittent problem.

Last edited by beakybird (24-10-2016 18:38)
ATH-M50x headphones.

Chrome now has MIDI support for web-based MIDI VSTs.  It apparently is a known issue on Windows where Chrome will lock access to the port.  You can try to disable Chrome MIDI support using:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/...vIIowHSQow

You can also try looking through:

chrome://flags

I remember the option to turn it on/off used to be here at least for older Chrome versions.

Mossy wrote:

Chrome now has MIDI support for web-based MIDI VSTs.  It apparently is a known issue on Windows where Chrome will lock access to the port.  You can try to disable Chrome MIDI support using:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/...vIIowHSQow

You can also try looking through:

chrome://flags

I remember the option to turn it on/off used to be here at least for older Chrome versions.

Another good reason not to use Chrome !

Has anyone determined the reason why the MIDI keyboard appears in the list but can't be selected? I'm experiencing this randomly, without any discernible pattern. Restarting the PC does resolve the issue, but it's not a practical solution.