Topic: Roland RD-700SX

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this keyboard?

I have a friend who is selling his for $900. I've heard that the action is nice, but thought I'd ask the Pianoteq crew!

Re: Roland RD-700SX

I been using a Roland with "lesser action" (by comparison) for the past 2 weeks and like it much more than Casio's & Yamaha's actions.  (No experience yet with Kawai's similarly priced line.)  I would assume the RD700SX's action would feel even nicer.

Thanks!

Roland has a big reputation for producing quality actions. The rd 700sx is not their top-of-line board but certainly a very solid one that competes easily with similar priced Yamaha, Kawai or Studiologic products.

BUT you HAVE to go and try the feel of the action! If you don't like it's not yours althought it might be the best possible action on paper. It is very subjective...

Thanks for the reply TJ.

Hmm, found this thread on Pianoworld that lists all the Roland key actions:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthre...ost2341589

Looks like the Roland I have at my office has a newer/better action than the RD700SX.  Since the RD700SX model does not emulate escapement, that makes the action more like the entry-level Casios/Yamahas.  So for the purposes of solely driving Pianoteq, I'd be a little hesitant on buying a used DP for $900 when you can get a new Roland FP30 for $700 or a Casio PX160 for $500.

Thanks Mossy.

I'm using a Yamaha P115 currently and I'm quite happy with it, as I'm a new player and don't have much experience to base my choices on.

It sounds like I'll hold off and start trying different keyboards and figure out what I like. The only bummer is that in my city I have Guitar Center and several high end shops that sell mostly pianos...