Topic: Audio Unit and external Speakers recommendation.

Hi, I'm new to pianoteq but i'm amazed with the sound!.

Currently I purchased the Pianoteq 5.5 Stage version, I have a Yamaha CLP-470 and use pianoteq with a MacBookAir and the sound through the CLP internal speakers.

I'm searching the most stunning "real-like" piano sound possible, but currently I feel that something is missing. Don't know if it could the the speakers of the CLP, or the fact that using the mac internal sound card is not good enough.

My question is:
Will it be better if I use an external audio unit with the Mac?, if so, which brands are recommended to use with pianoteq?.
Will it be better to use external speakers/monitors?. I dont know too much about monitors, but i'm worried to the fact that these are unidirectional, I want to fill a room with the sound of the piano, hear the strings and ressonance like in an accoustic.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Audio Unit and external Speakers recommendation.

Since you have already a very good DP, here is what I suggest you, if money is not a problem:

- Buy an external soundcard with at least 2 pairs of audio outputs.
- Send 1 stereo output to your CLP470 audio in, not too loud. This is for the vibration and for the sound
- Send the second stereo output to a pair of 6" monitors placed on the piano. This is for clarity and power.   

If the 2 sources are well mixed, you should have a nice and full sound, without any stress on your CLP470 internal amp/speaker system.

stamkorg wrote:

Since you have already a very good DP, here is what I suggest you, if money is not a problem:

- Send 1 stereo output to your CLP470 audio in, not too loud. This is for the vibration and for the sound
- Send the second stereo output to a pair of 6" monitors placed on the piano. This is for clarity and power.   

If the 2 sources are well mixed, you should have a nice and full sound, without any stress on your CLP470 internal amp/speaker system.

Hi, this is a very nice option and didn't think about it. I like the fact that i can keep the vibration in the keys with the CLP470 internal speakers and get a higher quality sound from the monitors.

Just have some questions, can you recommend any external sound card?, i 'll make my research, but i'm completely new to this topic.

For the pair of monitors i've seen these ones (Krk Rokit 6 3g ) in a lot of videos, are they worth it?, they are expensive but can be my long term goal.

Has anyone on this forum implemented something similar to this?

Thanks a lot!.

I have this setup with the Yamaha CLP 575 and it sounds just wonderful.
I use the Lexicon Alpha USB Audio interface to get both the CLP speakers and a pair of monitors running, resting on top of the piano at each end.
Now, after a bit of tweaking, I'm hooked on the Model B using this setup.

paulmanjarres wrote:
stamkorg wrote:

Hi, this is a very nice option and didn't think about it. I like the fact that i can keep the vibration in the keys with the CLP470 internal speakers and get a higher quality sound from the monitors.

Just have some questions, can you recommend any external sound card?, i 'll make my research, but i'm completely new to this topic.

For the pair of monitors i've seen these ones (Krk Rokit 6 3g ) in a lot of videos, are they worth it?, they are expensive but can be my long term goal.

Has anyone on this forum implemented something similar to this?

Thanks a lot!.

I don't know these KRK monitors, but they are appreciated by a lot of people. In the Same price range, you can also check the Yamaha HS-7.

For the soundcard I use a Focusrite 6i6 that works well for me and works also in linux. Roland, Native instruments, Steinberg... all these brands make reasonably priced products

Last edited by stamkorg (29-04-2016 13:30)

For monitors I really like Adam. I use the a5x but Adam has recently released a budget F series.

Last edited by urchin (29-05-2016 14:03)

Dynaudio all the way. Even powered.

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

I am extremely fond of my Equator D5 mkII monitors!

Hard work and guts!

All very good tips of course.

May I add, that the Adam speakers have these patented ribbon tweeters, which have a five times more area of radiation in the high frequencies compared to conventional tweeters.

In my work for a digital organ company I use them a lot, and they really have such a wide sound image.

Now the cheaper F versions are here, with the same outfit, only made in China for costs sake. Recommended. F 5 will do the work.

Be aware, to choose Audio device with symmetrical outputs, and use symmetrical cables between outputs and active monitors for better suppression of unwanted disturbance.

The new Steinberg units ( in fact Yamaha) are very sturdy and easy to set up.   ( NO comm. interests....)

Hi all,

well, i've been searching a lot on this, and having a very limited budget (less than US $200), i have the following:

The objective is to have the CLP470 speakers working and, at the same time, a pair of studio monitors (as suggested by @stamkorg),so:

External Audio Unit ($79.99)
Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC204HD

and

Monitors ($99.99)
Mackie CR Series CR3 - 3"
https://www.amazon.com/Mackie-CR-CR3-Re...B00KVEIY4E

I've already upgraded Pianoteq 5 to Standard, and it's really an improvement for the sound.

Now, if i get the two items listed, will I get any benefit?, the piano sound will be improved significantly??, is worth doing it?

(By now, my Mac has worked properly with pianoteq, so, apart from getting 2 outputs for piano speakers and monitors, don't know what other benefits I'll get from an external audio unit, i'm not gonna work on recordings or mixes, just playing at home)

Thanks!.

Whenever you 'pull the trigger' on purchasing speakers, I recommend that you point them upwards rather than at you - better for omnidirectional realism and less harsh on your ears and brain:

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=4625

- David

paulmanjarres wrote:

Hi all,

Monitors ($99.99)

I have Yamaha MSP5 monitors (5" bass drivers). They are nice and clear and offer a flat response curve, but, personally, for my pianoteq set up they lack a fuller bass sound; so, I'm thinking those 3" Mackies you're thinking of may also lack bass. If you look at the frequency specs they go down to 80Hz. Just a thought.

Last edited by fulvia (11-10-2016 21:14)

fulvia wrote:
paulmanjarres wrote:

Hi all,

Monitors ($99.99)

I have Yamaha MSP5 monitors (5" bass drivers). They are nice and clear and offer a flat response curve, but, personally, for my pianoteq set up they lack a fuller bass sound; so, I'm thinking those 3" Mackies you're thinking of may also lack bass. If you look at the frequency specs they go down to 80Hz. Just a thought.

But, as i'm keeping the CLP Speakers working at the same time, wouldn't the Mackies provide clarity while the CLP's provide the bass and ressonace in the keys?

paulmanjarres wrote:
fulvia wrote:
paulmanjarres wrote:

Hi all,

Monitors ($99.99)

But, as i'm keeping the CLP Speakers working at the same time, wouldn't the Mackies provide clarity while the CLP's provide the bass and ressonace in the keys?

I don't know the speakers in the CLP, but, if you are happy with the bass and resonance then yes, the Mackies would I'm sure give you the clarity in the top end and should be a big improvement.

Any comments on the Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD, is it worthy for a better sound?

Go with a Focusrite at the very least, if possible.

Hard work and guts!