Topic: Software for learning to play and read music

I'm a beginner and I've been looking for something to learn to play with.

I've found a free application called PianoBooster which fits the bill.

PianoBooster ( free ! ) displays the music in sheet music form and can either wait for you to hit the correct notes.  With properly formatted midi files it will also handle left or right had automatically while you do just the other hand.  Very nifty.

It keeps an accuracy score as well.

Make sure your keyboard and Pianoteq are started before launching it and then use the Midi setup options ( if required ) to select the appropriate input and output.

Apparently works on MS Windows, Apple and definitely works on Linux as I use Linux myself.

Worth a look.

( And for the record I have no connection with the developers ).

Anyone with any more suggestions ?

StephenG

Re: Software for learning to play and read music

Check out "Home Concert Xtreme" by Time Warp Productions.  Provides these functions and more.

David

- David

Not sure what level you're exactly looking for, but to 'guitar hero' your piano learning there's Synthesia.

http://www.synthesiagame.com/

Just a quick "Thank you" to the two previous responders.

I had tried Synthesiagame before on Linux using Wine, but not with Pianoteq.  Happily my Linux and Wine do talk to each other for MIDI purposes ( Wine provides a MIDI device to connect to ), so it seems ( so far ) to be working.

Note if running apps that you want to intercept the keyboard before passing MIDI messages to Pianoteq you should open the Options->Devices windows in Pianoteq and make appropriate connections.  The default ( in Linux at least ) seems to be for Pianoteq to listen to everything which, as I discovered, means you can find Pianoteq getting the same keystroke from two or three different MIDI inputs.

Incidentally the price of an unlock code for Synthesiagame is now US$29, so it's pretty cheap and I bought the unlock code, which you need to unlock their built-in songs and the very important ability to load any midi file.

There is an open source application called Linthesia which is similar but not developed fully, but it is free for those on a budget or who strictly use only native Linux apps or open source.

Pianobooster is not quite there yet in some ways ( lag can be an issue, I think ), but it's usable.

StephenG

frankly, i think that your best "software" option is your local piano teacher...

Matthieu 7:6

Obviously, a good teacher and concentrated practice is the best option.

But when friends come over with their kids, I can pull up PianoBooster -- put the paper overlay on the keys -- and within 15 minutes, they will have learned to play some simple songs.  Some get really hooked on it and play through various beginner songs for hours.

Hello sjgcit -  college professors teaching piano may or may not be willing to work with non-college candidates ...  HOWEVER ... check the bulletin boards in the hallways of the music departments - many graduate students offer tutoring from beginners to advanced level.

Lanny