Topic: Lost Isle - Piano solo

A piano composition I've been working on, Lost Isle.
Recorded using Pianoteq's Steinway Model B piano.

I would normally link to SoundCloud, but it is having login issues at the moment, so I uploaded the file to BandCamp.com.

https://stephendoonan.bandcamp.com/track/lost-isle

--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Re: Lost Isle - Piano solo

YouTube video of Lost Isle

https://youtu.be/7Jmc4Gc2UwM

--

Hi, Stephen. Great piece, I enjoyed it much. If you would allow a bit unrelated (and noobish) question: your capture of PTQ's UI shows you are twitching the sustain pedal constantly. I've seen that many pianists also do this trick all the time during their performances. I understand why you do it, in general - to enrich sound with more overtones etc. I understand why you not keep it pressed all the time - that would create a very dirtied, blurred sound. But why you won't just keep it half-down all the time (that's what lame me is doing )) )? This is much easier, it gives richer sound, and it doesn't blur it too much. What benefit this trick has over the latter?

Last edited by AlexS (08-07-2016 20:09)

Hello Alex--

Regarding my use of the sustain pedal--

I have small hands. I need to make fairly liberal use of the sustain pedal to avoid too many staccato notes when I must move my hands quickly to other notes in small or larger jumps. However, I also like a very clear and articulated sound, so that as much as possible, every note is clearly heard. Therefore I must lift the sustain pedal frequently to allow the dampers to fall and mute the strings. But regarding that last trait (aiming for a distinct sound), I'm sure that my technique sometimes sounds a little too deliberate, slow and heavy-handed, as it sometimes does even to myself when I listen to something I have recorded.

I also love the half-pedal-capable sustain pedals (I use an electronic half-damper pedal myself), but usually use the half damper for "fading out" sustained chords, such as at the end of a piece. However, I should probable learn to make more extensive use of half-damper pedaling. Thank you for the suggestion and for the nudge.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (08-07-2016 21:26)
--

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

I have small hands. I need to make fairly liberal use of the sustain pedal to avoid too many staccato notes when I must move my hands quickly to other notes in small or larger jumps. However, I also like a very clear and articulated sound, so that as much as possible, every note is clearly heard. Therefore I must lift the sustain pedal frequently to allow the dampers to fall and mute the strings.

Understood, thanks. It's just that I've always been thinking about sustenudo pedal (my rig also has it) as an answer to this problem. But on a second thought, if you need to make several quickly following one after another notes ring, it won't do it, as you'll need to release it before "capturing" next note. Now I understand your cause finally.

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion and for the nudge.

You shouldn't treat it like a suggestion - that's really like it, I'm a greenhorn pianist learning on my own That's indeed was just an ignorant question. Thanks for answering it regardless, I appreciate it

Last edited by AlexS (11-07-2016 00:43)