Topic: What kind of amplification do I need for gigs?

What kind of amplification do I need for gigs?
What should I connect to my laptop?

I want something for small gigs(I'm counting on that in big places they already have amplification).

I need something compact, small and lightweight, to take with me in public transportation.
It doesn't have to be very powerfull, it should be loud enough for a coffee shop or a small hall.
And I need it to be good not only for piano sound, but for everything, because I'm planning to connect my keyboard to lots of VSTs(for piano sound, which is the most important to me, I'm using only Pianoteq, but as a keyboarder I have to use a lot of other stuff - Organs, Electric pianos, strings, synths, etc...).
I also use a software amp modeling for guitar and bass guitar(especially for bass guitar), so I need it to be good for that too.

But I'm sure that an amplification that is good for the complete keyboardist, will handle just find with any kind of guitar amp modling.

Oh, and I need it to be a one unite, not a "pair of monitors" kind of a thing, just one box(mobility again).

Re: What kind of amplification do I need for gigs?

I see no one answer.
OK I abandon the demand for speaker that is good also for bass amp and guitar amp, let say something good only for pianoteq and some other keyboard sounds like organs and synth, what are you suggesting?

Hag01 you probably haven't had an answer because this is primarily a pianoteq forum concerned about it not about 'other musical issues' so much. I'd also add you haven't specified where you are (ie what good is recommendation for something good in New Zealand if you are in Finland?) or what your budget is (I understand Bose make a good but very expensive kit that does what you want but if the budget will only go so far as a Roland cube there is no point recommending it).
People here may weigh in on these things but unless it's a pianoteq issue your probably better off raising it in another forum - I would suggest having done some reading of the old post and threads there you try with a more detailed question eg the budget issue and whether you will be playing post punk thrash or Neo classical semi acoustic music Sounds on Sounds forum which will likely get you a better response to your question than here.

Last edited by rAC (30-06-2016 11:07)

look for all the 8" bi-amped speakers around, and try to test the one(s) that fit your budget. Only way to be sure you'll make the right choice.

But what I most need to know is: Would a keyboard amplifier(connected to the computer) do the job?

Last edited by hag01 (30-06-2016 12:58)

Yes or no. I've tried several ones, some are very bad, other very good  but those ones are usually not cheap and not very portable in fact. The biggest one I've tried is the Peavey KB 5, it's just a monster: more than 40 KGs ! Talk about portability. Agreed, it sounded good... But the smaller models in the range didn't convince me at all. Very "medium" oriented, no low's, no high's.

I can only give a subjective opinion, but I've tried various "keyboard" amps, including most recently a Roland KC 550 and none seem to be in the same league as my QSC K8 single PA speaker. I'd go with a PA, and I'd get an external sound card between the computer and the PA, myself I use a Presonus AudioBox iTwo.

If you're really planning on carrying all of your gear to gigs on public transportation by yourself (keyboard, stand, amp, laptop, cables, etc), I suggest you consider one of the tiny but high quality amps designed for acoustic guitar, such as the ZT Lunchbox Acoustic. It will be light on bass, but otherwise quite clear and balanced, and can produce surprisingly loud volume. Only about 5 kg. I can't imagine hauling around anything larger on a bus or train. And yes,..you'll want an audio interface between your computer and amp.  There are many to choose from.

The ElectroVoice ZXA1 (which I own) is ideal for this purpose.  It's sold as a "stage monitor", but works well as a small PA system.  There are independent "Line" and "Mic" inputs; the "Mic" input has a preamp, but no phantom power, so you can use any dynamic mic.

It weighs about 20 lbs (9 Kg), has a horn-loaded tweeter and 8" woofer.   The amp is rated at 800 watts, but I don't think it can put out that much power continuously.  Frequency response is quite flat, down to its low-frequency limit of 60 Hz (-3 dB) / 48 Hz (-10 dB). 

For an audience of 100 people or less, it's loud enough, IMHO.   

My preference is to put it on a lightweight speaker stand, about 6' high -- e.g. "On-Stage Stands SS7761B".  You can rotate the tweeter to get 90 degree (horizontal) by 50 degree (vertical) coverage.   

There are similar PA/monitor speakers from other makers.   People who have used guitar amps and "keyboard amps" often complain about "coloration".  The PA/monitor speakers seem to be flatter in their frequency response.

.     Charles

PS -- Public transit?  You may have to _really_ compromise on woofer size, power, and total weight.

Last edited by cpcohen (10-07-2016 08:14)

I have a SpaceStation compact stereo amp which I like for keyboards. It is small in size, but has several speakers covering a broad range of frequencies, and an unusual but interesting configuration to simulate a stereo image in a single small amp. A multiband equalizer on the keyboard or as an external signal processing device before the amp will help to adjust the frequency responses of the amp's several speakers to your taste.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Spacestation3

Alternatively, a good quality but small self-powered studio monitor or two (self-powered means that it contains its own amplifier) which is known for a very flat frequency response across a very wide spectrum of frequencies (I have a couple Mackie recording-studio monitors that I really like) will do a good job without an equalizer, and can provide a very large sound from a very small cabinet. I prefer my studio monitors to the SpaceStation amp mentioned above, but the studio monitors are more expensive and probably a little more delicate (less rugged) to frequently transport. There probably exist good studio monitors from other companies that are well-liked but less expensive.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (11-07-2016 02:42)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

I use a SpaceStation v3 amp for gigs also, and love it.  However, it is 40 lb (18kg). The original poster seems to have moved on, or perhaps reconsidered his needs, but his request was for advice on amplification he could take to gigs on public transportation. Most powered monitor speakers are also going to be too heavy for this application. This is why I suggested one of the small and relatively neutral amps designed for acoustic guitar and other acoustic instruments.

TimN wrote:

This is why I suggested one of the small and relatively neutral amps designed for acoustic guitar and other acoustic instruments.

Yes, you're probably right.

--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Roland KC-110 3-Channel 30-Watt Stereo Mixing Keyboard Amplifier

https://www.amazon.com/Roland-KC-110-3-...yboard+amp

I haven't tried it at all, but kind of goes along with the idea that small speakers seem to work well with Pianoteq piano voices.

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway