Topic: Windows latency

Hi all,

I am just getting started with Pianoteq (which is awesome BTW) and have a question about latency.

Under Linux / Jack using a Focusrite 2i2 interface, everything is fine -- I can set the buffer to 64 samples without glitches and feel no lag

Under Windows, on a i5 Surface Pro 3 with the same audio interface (2i2), I cannot set the buffer size below 442 samples. Though Pianoteq is still playable, the latency is noticeable. It's not a matter of glitches though -- the GUI simply won't let me select a lower value.

Any ideas ? I am using the ASIO drivers for the Focusrite interface under Windows.

Cheers

Last edited by urchin (29-05-2016 14:14)

Re: Windows latency

urchin wrote:

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Stay in Linux?

stamkorg wrote:
urchin wrote:

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Stay in Linux?

Well for my primary workstation certainly, but it is not an either/or proposition. I'd like to be able e.g. to lend my SP3 to guests so they can play my keyboard. I'm not going to lend them my Linux work machine though

I had significant latency issues running Pianoteq on a Windows Surface 4 computer.  I ultimately solved my problems with an external processor, a Steinberg UR-22 II.  Since then, however, I ran across this video about settings for ASIO4ALL that reduced my latency to imperceptible, now making it possible to travel with the surface and a small keyboard (CME X-KEY) and leave the Steinberg at home. 

Here's the video:    http://surfaceproaudio.com/dealing-with...ace-pro-4/

The summary is that you turn off the 'extra' processor output (i.e. if playing to speakers through the headphone jack, then turn off the driver for the internal speakers), and set the output to the 44.1 setting instead of 8-192.

These changes worked great on my Surface, and may or may not work great on other machines.

David

- David

Thanks @dklein but I am already using an external interface (Focusrite 2i2) and therefore not the ASIO4ALL drivers.

Okay, so from what I gathered after browsing a few other forums, the Focusrite Windows drivers are not up to snuff

Focusrite also had improved beta drivers, but they seem to have been pulled (at least visiting beta.focusrite.com gives an error)

You can always try using A4A instead of Focusrite's drivers. Might turn out better, miraculously. Also perhaps try running via WASAPI (Windows Audio in Pianoteq's "Audio device type" dropdown).

Hard work and guts!

OK, just in case some other poor sool has purchased a Focusrite interface, the drivers (3.2.2 or up) available at beta.focusrite.com help a lot. When the website is up. Also, I still experience a different type of glitch that seems to happen whatever the buffer capacity (not clicks or pops, but a softer "thrrr" that's closer to a hiss, but random and unrelated to background noise and Windows-only).

I guess I'll just have to make smarter hardware choices in the future.

Thanks to all who helped.

Last edited by urchin (29-05-2016 22:25)

urchin wrote:

OK, just in case some other poor sool has purchased a Focusrite interface, the drivers (3.2.2 or up) available at beta.focusrite.com help a lot. When the website is up. Also, I still experience a different type of glitch that seems to happen whatever the buffer capacity (not clicks or pops, but a softer "thrrr" that's closer to a hiss, but random and unrelated to background noise and Windows-only).

I guess I'll just have to make smarter hardware choices in the future.

Thanks to all who helped.