Re: Exciting news: new Steinway B and version upgrade

I got curious...  In the promotional vídeo of pianoteq Steinway-B, when the narrator said it's based on a Steinway-B ask us to listen, in 00:36,  there is a real model B being played. Is the sound, in that specific instant, from the real Steinway B or from pianoteq model  ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf-xJdrIgqY

Another question: Can a i3 handles the Steinway B model well in maximum polyphony for the most intense compositions ?

Last edited by Beto-Music (09-02-2016 21:54)

Beto-Music wrote:

I got curious...  In the promotional vídeo of pianoteq Steinway-B, when the narrator said it's based on a Steinway-B ask us to listen, in 00:36,  there is a real model B being played. Is the sound, in that specific instant, from the real Steinway B or from pianoteq model  ?

Another question: Can a i3 handles the Steinway B model well in maximum polyphony for the most intense compositions ?

The sound comes from the model, not the real instrument.

Regarding the Intel i3, it depends on the exact CPU model, and what internal sample rate and buffer size that are set.
I recommend comparing the CPU performance at https://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Feel free to consult the Pianoteq support team if you have any further questions.

Just bought this baby and put it through its paces. All I can say is it is quite sweet. It seems to be set up to be softer than the Bluthner Model 1, the D4 Concert Grand or the K2 Grand, but it is nevertheless oh so sweet, full and rich. Time to continue to modify it and see what I can tweek it to do.

Your comment makes reflect about one question, just curiosity, for Modartt.

When Martha Argerich sellected the Steinway-B models for the collection, did she requested some changes, like revoincing, or just pointed what models she liked ?

Once a pianist in my country was asked to choose, in the Steinway factory, a model for a orchestra here, and he sellected one between nearly a hundred pianos or so. That's where I got curious, if they usually just sellect or if they request personalized adjustments too.

Mere curiosity...

fubarable wrote:

Just bought this baby and put it through its paces. All I can say is it is quite sweet. It seems to be set up to be softer than the Bluthner Model 1, the D4 Concert Grand or the K2 Grand, but it is nevertheless oh so sweet, full and rich. Time to continue to modify it and see what I can tweek it to do.

Last edited by Beto-Music (25-02-2016 17:27)

Beto-Music wrote:

Your comment makes reflect about one question, just curiosity, for Modartt.

When Martha Argerich sellected the Steinway-B models for the collection, did she requested some changes, like revoincing, or just pointed what models she liked ?

Once a pianist in my country was asked to choose, in the Steinway factory, a model for a orchestra here, and he sellected one between nearly a hundred pianos or so. That's where I got curious, if they usually just sellect or if they request personalized adjustments too.

Mere curiosity...

fubarable wrote:

That IS one of the problems with wood/mechanical pianos.
Within any one model they are all so different that your chances of buying one and later finding one that you like "better" are too high for such a large capital outlay.

I wouldn't consider a trip to NY in order to try 100 or so different pianos - to decide on my favorite.
I could probably rule out 3 or 4 straight away, maybe another half dozen soon after that - - but the remaining 90 would be bewildering at best and I would always have lingering doubts about my second and third preferences.

Anyway, as I understand it concert artists do that and pick out two or three that are closest to their ideal, then they request changes and there is discussion.
Adjustments are made, more trialing, more discussion, more adjustments, etc.
I couldn't go through it, but eventually the client either settles on one, defers to another day, or walks.

My GUESS is that the Model B was selected AND adjusted for her.
Just for fun I'll speculate that Modartt further tuned/tweaked the virtual model B for her - beyond what Steinway could do "in wood"

Niclas Fogwall wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

Wow! What is the preset or custom settings? I thought that at 0:36 we listen (and see) a real Steinway because I didn't notice the characteristic pianoteqish "flat" chords (which I noticed in all other samples from the video).

Last edited by Ross (04-03-2016 17:12)
Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

I've been using some of the historical pianos and the clavichord a lot, but I sprang for this new instrument, and wow, it's really nice. I like it better than the K2 or the model D, for just ordinary piano playing.

Amateur Standalone PTQ user; interests classical music, especially Bach and Mozart, and historic keyboards

Ross wrote:
Niclas Fogwall wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

Wow! What is the preset or custom settings? I thought that at 0:36 we listen (and see) a real Steinway because I didn't notice the characteristic pianoteqish "flat" chords (which I noticed in all other samples from the video).

I uploaded the fxp used for the video at 00:36 here:
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.php?id=2566

This fxp is adapted to the MIDI file (Chopin Waltz by Hugh Sung) that served in the video, with the goal of giving the feeling of listening to the real thing.

Cheers, mr Guillaume.

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

Thanks so much Philippe!  I was impressed with the sound when it played in the video as well.

Philippe Guillaume wrote:
aandrmusic wrote:

I have the same question, but I will re-phrase it as;
How do the "subtle refinements of the physical model" NOT affect previous instruments ?
i.e. are the refinements "switched on" only for model B and later instruments ?

Good question.

Short answer: yes.

More detailed answer: while refining the model, we still want Pianoteq to be able to reproduce exactly what it was doing before. This is important for the user (you want a given project to reproduce exactly what it was doing before) and for the developers/testers (being able to compare is very important). Although sometimes we cannot achieve this 100% (for some technical coding reason), we do achieve it at say 99.99%: Pianoteq 5 is still able to produce the sound of version 1 (you could test this by loading legacy versions). That brings of course some new questions, but you are not obliged to ask .

Sorry Philippe, I see no point for version 5 to reproducing sounds from version 1.  Does this mean that in version 6 I will be still playing D4 from version 5 (4?), or it will be new Steinway grand piano ? Are we going forward for all or only for new instruments ?

Last edited by slobajudge (07-04-2016 17:44)

slobajudge wrote:
aandrmusic wrote:

I have the same question, but I will re-phrase it as;
How do the "subtle refinements of the physical model" NOT affect previous instruments ?
i.e. are the refinements "switched on" only for model B and later instruments ?

Good question.

More detailed answer: while refining the model, we still want Pianoteq to be able to reproduce exactly what it was doing before. This is important for the user (you want a given project to reproduce exactly what it was doing before) and for the developers/testers (being able to compare is very important). Although sometimes we cannot achieve this 100% (for some technical coding reason), we do achieve it at say 99.99%: Pianoteq 5 is still able to produce the sound of version 1 (you could test this by loading legacy versions). That brings of course some new questions, but you are not obliged to ask .

Sorry Philippe, I see no point for version 5 to reproducing sounds from version 1.

Some users may want to be able to reproduce a given sound they obtained with their presets in previous projects.

slobajudge wrote:

Does this mean that in version 6 I will be still playing D4 from version 5 (4?), or it will be new Steinway grand piano ? Are we going forward for all or only for new instruments ?

We try to go forward for all instruments. For example, the D4 has been updated several times, see https://www.pianoteq.com/pianoteq5 under the Changes tab. All KIViR pianos have been recently upgraded too.

slobajudge wrote:

Good question.

Sorry Philippe, I see no point for version 5 to reproducing sounds from version 1.

Some users may want to be able to reproduce a given sound they obtained with their presets in previous projects.

slobajudge wrote:

Does this mean that in version 6 I will be still playing D4 from version 5 (4?), or it will be new Steinway grand piano ? Are we going forward for all or only for new instruments ?

We try to go forward for all instruments. For example, the D4 has been updated several times, see https://www.pianoteq.com/pianoteq5 under the Changes tab. All KIViR pianos have been recently upgraded too.

Thank you for answer,  I feel that some anger was rise inside me, but now you put a smile on my face. We all want acoustic piano in small digital package. Make it closer with every version. Impressive work.

Last edited by slobajudge (07-04-2016 18:50)

While backward compatibility can be very NICE to have it shouldn't inhibit progress.
In just about every product development that I have been involved in we have set forward compatibility as a goal - typically worded approximately as
"a goal is to not preclude further extensions or improvements".  That usually led to a lot of things being open ended or undefined
However the (then) future wasn't possible to predict - - as ALWAYS
so trade-offs between backward compatibility and new product features/enhancements were made in that (then) future years.

As I understand what Phillipe said the new and improved model's better features are only switched ON when a new and improved instrument is loaded.
I suppose I regard this as an interface change and it could be that V1, V2 V3, V4 instruments are each recognized as such when they are loaded and the appropriate model features are then activated (or not, as the case requires).

Of course this could lead to bloat, but memory and storage follow Moore's Law so growth may not be a HUGE issue.

Set rambling mode to OFF