Topic: ASIO4ALL sound quality

Hey all,

I'm running Pianoteq v 5.5.1 on a Windows 7 laptop (HP Envy 4-1003TX, with the standard built-in sound card).

I currently use ASIO4ALL (v 2.13) to reduce latency for real-time playing of Pianoteq. I've found that the sound quality when playing through ASIO4ALL is much "muddier" than when playing through Windows Audio (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC).

EQ adjustment helps a bit, but I'm finding I have to apply around -10 dB @ 60 Hz, and +10 dB @ 16 kHz for it to sound more like the flat EQ'd Windows Audio. However, it still has that annoying "low bit-rate MP3" characteristic, e.g. complained about here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=74777

Has anyone else using ASIO4ALL experienced this and know of a workaround?

Cheers,
Andrew

Re: ASIO4ALL sound quality

ASIO4All can't actually have a "sound", except in the sense that you can adjust a few things like the sampling rate within the program, adjustments that might affect your sound very slightly. If you are sampling at 44khz or higher and if you are routing ASOP4All to the same place as you did with your non-ASIO4All setup (and of course keeping Pianoteq unchanged) there just isn't any obvious way that ASIO4All can change EQ. Perhaps it is the other way around: that your Windows Audio setup was the thing changing the sound...

I confirm this: you have to check that there is no sampling rate conversion happening. This is the (only) place where the sound can be altered in such a setup. Except indeed if you applied some EQ (or other FX) in your standard sound card setup.

I'd just like to pointlessly agree with the two respondants above

Asio4All is a *driver*, all it's doing it letting Pianoteq, Windows and your souncard talk to each other. It's not involved in creating or modifying the actual audio.
The only difference you would notice if a driver wasn't working is horrible glitching and clicking, or no sound at all.

I'm trying to think of an analogy for you...

How about eating your dinner?
The driver like your chair. It's letting you sit at the table and get there at the right height and be comfortable. A chair won't make your dinner *taste* any different.
If it's a bad height or shape, you might not be able to get close enough to your plate, there might be an annoying delay each time you tried to get each mouthful.
If it was a really bad chair, you might be in such an awkward posture that you kept dropping bits of food down your front or onto the floor instead of getting them in your mouth.
In the worst instance, the chair might break and you fall on the floor on your arse.
But none of this will make your food *taste* any different.

The driver/chair makes no difference to how your food was cooked in the kitchen or does anything to it when it sits on your plate.

So.... something else must be going on!

Last edited by feline1 (21-05-2016 13:00)

Thanks for the responses.

Indeed, ASIO4ALL wasn't altering the sound quality. It was due to the high output impedance of my laptop's headphone jack, relative to the input impedance of the headphones I was using. Windows Audio was evidently applying software EQ/other sound processing, and that was masking the effect.

I ended up buying a TDA1308 amp (from IC station for $4), which has an output impedance of 0.25 ohms, and powering my headphones (Sennheiser 558 HDs, which have an input impedance of 50 ohms) with them. Their performance under ASIO4ALL is remarkably better.

For those interested, NwAvGuy has a good discussion on the signal filtering that can occur with high amp:headphone impedance ratios here: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com.au/2011/02/...dance.html

Last edited by Andrew Spargo (12-06-2016 14:15)

Hi, Andrew.

Your case made me curious. I'm not that knowledgeable in the field of sound-related thingies, is it possible for a layman like me to diagnose/test my setup on whether or not I'm having that impedance difference problem? I'm currently struggling to find some way to make PTQ sound the way I would like, and also sometimes have impression that sound sort of "muddy". I guess I can check impedance of my headphones on manufacturer's site, but I'm not sure I'll find such info for my internal audio card, how can I learn what impedance does it have?

AlexS wrote:

Hi, Andrew.

Your case made me curious. I'm not that knowledgeable in the field of sound-related thingies, is it possible for a layman like me to diagnose/test my setup on whether or not I'm having that impedance difference problem? I'm currently struggling to find some way to make PTQ sound the way I would like, and also sometimes have impression that sound sort of "muddy". I guess I can check impedance of my headphones on manufacturer's site, but I'm not sure I'll find such info for my internal audio card, how can I learn what impedance does it have?

Headphones are usually the weak link in the chain rather than what's driving them. Have you tried other earphones and got the same sense of muddiness? Trying a range of headphones is really the starting point here.

Unless you have some sort of audiophile internal sound card the card you have will indeed limit your SQ, but the effect will be more subtle than the differences between one set of headphones and another. You will tend to notice this as the weak link in the chain only after you settle on a set of good headphones. Then IMHO the next best option is to bypass the internal card, use one your your digital outputs, and run it to an external combination DAC and headphone amp. That should suffice unless you want to go for that last 1% of SQ. Then you'd add a high end standalone headphone amp after the DAC.

NormB wrote:

run it to an external combination DAC and headphone amp

Now you are losing me I've thought DACs are already sort of "headphone amps on steroids".

AlexS wrote:
NormB wrote:

run it to an external combination DAC and headphone amp

Now you are losing me I've thought DACs are already sort of "headphone amps on steroids".

Ah, simple to clarify: a DAC at a minimum has one digital input and one set of analogue outputs. In this minimum configuration the outputs are line outputs, intended to drive a preamp. They won't drive most headphones, and in this configuration there is no internal volume control.

A lot of 'DACs' however offer more than this. One common option is to include a headphone amp inside the box, along with a volume control for it. [The line outputs are maintained also.] I was more or less assuming that you were thinking of such a combination  DAC/headphone amp configuration. It is a nice, clean, effective option.

My comment arises from the fact that really serious, last 1% headphone amps are almost never found in DAC/headphone amp combos. In my own case I have a pretty high end DAC/headphone amp combo driven by my piano VSTs and other sources, a Yulong DA8. I find the headphone amp in iti just fine in most cases, but  while good, it does not quite measure up to the two external headphone amp options I can use.

Well diagnosed, Andrew! Just btw, I did some testing of one of my laptops once, and found that when I selected the Headphone output, the output impedance was much lower than it was when I selected the Line Out. I.e - both "outputs" share the same physical output connector - they are virtual, in a sense, but selecting one or the other changed the output impedance.

Greg.

Last edited by skip (14-06-2016 00:21)

AlexS wrote:

is it possible for a layman like me to diagnose/test my setup on whether or not I'm having that impedance difference problem?

I'm not sure of a way of quantitatively diagnosing this without an oscilloscope. If you have one, you could send a sine signal via your sound card to your headphone jack/amp (e.g., you can do that in Audacity with the tone generation utility), and measure its amplitude by connecting the oscilloscope across your headphone jack/amp. Then, look at how the amplitude of the signal varies with frequency of the sine wave. If the amplitude varies by orders of magnitude as you sweep the frequency between ~ 50 Hz and ~ 20 kHz, chances are the source signal's being filtered somewhere.

Though as I mentioned in the above post, I just ended up getting a cheap TDA1308 amp (which has an output impedance of 0.25 ohms) to power my headphones, to test if filtering was occurring in my laptop headphone jack -> headphone setup, and could easily hear the difference. The mids dropped, and the bass and highs rose, making the sound seem much less muddy.

AlexS wrote:

I'm currently struggling to find some way to make PTQ sound the way I would like, and also sometimes have impression that sound sort of "muddy".

I'd second what NormB said here about trying a variety of different headphones (being sure you're not using an amp that results in a filtering of the signal, and maybe also using it with an external DAC), and only then changing PTQ presets/parameters. For what it's worth, I currently use a pair of Sennheiser 558 HD's with the TDA1308, and am generally pretty happy with their PTQ performance.

skip wrote:

I did some testing of one of my laptops once, and found that when I selected the Headphone output, the output impedance was much lower than it was when I selected the Line Out.

Interesting - how'd you measure the output impedance of that laptop port (that might also answer AlexS's other question)? I guess the relatively high output impedance of the line out is consistent with it providing a relatively low current (and hence power) compared to a headphone amp.

Last edited by Andrew Spargo (17-06-2016 15:43)

Andrew Spargo wrote:

Interesting - how'd you measure the output impedance of that laptop port (that might also answer AlexS's other question)? I guess the relatively high output impedance of the line out is consistent with it providing a relatively low current (and hence power) compared to a headphone amp.

Simply by taking two level measurements - one with the output unloaded, and one with the output loaded with a resistor, and then calculating what output impedance would cause the signal level to drop by the amount measured.  Use a sine wave test signal, and then just use a cheap multimeter to measure the AC voltage. Use a frequency that is within the frequency range of the multimeter - mains frequency (say, 50Hz or 60Hz) would be suitable.  The value of the resistor isn't critical - just choose a value that is typical for typical headphones, say between 50 to 200 ohms or so. I think I actually did the test twice, using two different load resistances, just to make sure the result was consistent.

Just by the way, maybe the real reason you noticed the difference in sound between ASIO4ALL & Windows audio is that for some reason, ASIO4ALL was using the line out, and Windows was using the headphone out.  If that is the case, you should no longer notice any difference when you switch between the two, when using the headphone amp.   If Windows still sounds brighter, that would mean it probably is applying some kind of processing, per your original theory.

Greg.

Last edited by skip (17-06-2016 23:38)