Topic: Pianoteq Touch Panel

Hello,
I created a software MIDI controller for Pianoteq. It’s optimized for a touchscreen, but can be used with a regular mouse.
I needed it because on my hybrid notebook screen the standard Pianoteq GUI controls are too small to be comfortably touched with fingers, and since it has a 16:9 form factor, half the screen was left unused.

Pianoteq Touch Panel

Unfortunately, Pianoteq MIDI mapping is not bi-directional, so settings that are changed from the Pianoteq GUI are not reflected in the panel. This would be especially useful when loading a preset, and in situations where you have a headless installation (imagine controlling Pianoteq with your phone/tablet with MIDI over wireless network!). I asked Modartt if they intend to implement a MIDI-out feature, but it's not currently in their plans. Who knows, maybe if there are enough requests, they may decide to work on it.

Pianoteq Touch Panel is free and open source, so you can adapt it to your needs. Being built with Ctrlr, it works in Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X.

More information here: http://blog.magnolo.com/pianoteq-touch-panel/

Re: Pianoteq Touch Panel

That is pretty cool!

I think it would be pretty awesome if Pianoteq supported OSC. This way you could easily build touchscreen controllers with bidirectional feedback, using TouchOSC...

Last edited by EvilDragon (06-01-2016 17:03)
Hard work and guts!

Looks awesome, can't wait to try it out. Thanks for sharing.

Hardware: Studiologic SL 88s + SL Mixface, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Lenovo Yoga I5 Windows 10 Pro
VST host: Cantabile
Other instruments: hammond (GSi VB3 II), saxophone (Selmer), harmonicas (Hohners)

Hi, this is exactly what I'm looking for but...does it run over iOS (iPad) ?

I use my iPad with forScore app to read sheet music and I'm looking for a iOS app that let me to control different things of Pianoteq running on my iMac, any idea ?

Regards, Roberto.

Pianoteq Stage 5.0.1/20140527 - Pianodisc Quiettime Magic Star V. 4.0S - iMac Late 2009 - OSX Mavericks 10.9.3 - 12GB RAM - Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz - SSD OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 240GB

Hello Dalrmi,
the panel is based on Ctrlr that works on OS X but not iOS.
You should probably try a wireless midi app, see http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=4191

Hi, I've reached some goals with ITM Matrix iOS app (running on iPhone/Pad) and its server running app on my iMac (iTouchMIDI OSX).

I can toggle metronome ON/OFF and also slower/faster it via predefined increments (Pianoteq rules), I've also saw that I can set up particular presets and also a lot of other settings (reverb, pedal noise, etc.).

My concern is that I can't have a return value of the metronome's value on ITM Matrix app, I mean that I can't know the actual value of the metronome (60, 72, 92, 100 bpm), I have to remember the starting value and how I had slower/faster the metronome.

Do you know if exist a method to reset (always via MIDI) the metronome to a standard value ?

Also the Time Signature and Volume isn't manageable via MIDI commands ?

Thx, best regards.

Pianoteq Stage 5.0.1/20140527 - Pianodisc Quiettime Magic Star V. 4.0S - iMac Late 2009 - OSX Mavericks 10.9.3 - 12GB RAM - Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz - SSD OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 240GB

My concern is that I can't have a return value of the metronome's value on ITM Matrix app, I mean that I can't know the actual value of the metronome

Yes, it's a pity that pianoteq doesn't have a midi output that sends the parameter values when they are changed... It would greatly enhance the production of custom UIs.

Maybe..maybe..I've just found a workaround to lack of metronome controls via MIDI commands in Pianoteq.

On my iPad I use the forScore app about sheet music and I've just discovered that it can send MIDI commands to other devices, about the metronome (built-in in forScore) I can actually send audio output originating from my iPad to headphones connected to my iMac where Pianoteq is up & running, I can achieve that thanks to Airfoil speakers app.

Now I've to find and discover how to send MIDI commands from forScore to Pianoteq, anyone is using this app and could give me some hints ? I guess this it's possible, just figuring out how to do it...

On my iMac I run the iTouchMIDI OSX app and I can see it in MIDI section of Pianoteq so what is missing is the connection between forScore and this app or whatever else works.

Please, give your thoughts....

Regards, Roberto.

EvilDragon wrote:

I think it would be pretty awesome if Pianoteq supported OSC. This way you could easily build touchscreen controllers with bidirectional feedback, using TouchOSC...

Who needs OSC...TCP or UDP would be fine.

alessandro wrote:

Yes, it's a pity that pianoteq doesn't have a midi output that sends the parameter values when they are changed... It would greatly enhance the production of custom UIs.

Agreed, I hope they will add this.

Last edited by ReBased (02-04-2016 01:17)

Hi Alessandro, is your app still available? The web link just seems to go to a blank page. I'm wondering it this could help with my query in http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=3923

Many thanks, Alan.

I had found that on web about a day and 1/2 ago, but forgot to put in this forum, since there were a number of things happening...

Nice work !!

Last edited by Beto-Music (15-07-2017 16:04)

Liquid wrote:

Hi Alessandro, is your app still available? The web link just seems to go to a blank page.

Hello Alan, thanks for pointing that out. I fixed the website and you should now be able to download the application.

I'm still using it every day as my main interface to Pianoteq; my setup is the one in the photo above, a VPC-1 with a keyboardless touchscreen PC on top and nothing else.
I made a new version some time ago with an additional tab full of presets, will update the website when possible.

Liquid wrote:

I'm wondering it this could help with my query in http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=3923

If I understood your needs correctly, you may use Pianoteq Touch Panel to quickly select a Pianoteq preset from the list. You can customize the list using Ctrl, or you can just assign a different mapping in Pianoteq MIDI map for a quick test (e.g. when you click for example "D4 dayly" you actually select "Xylophone Original").
The other big buttons below the preset list move to the next/previous preset, switch and copy A/B.

Last edited by alessandro (15-07-2017 10:35)

Thanks Alessandro, this should indeed work!

However, following the instructions I'm not finding Pianoteq listed under the MIDI outputs of CTRLR - do I need LoopBE or similar running too? I'm using Pianoteq Stage if that makes a difference.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Liquid (25-07-2017 15:33)

Unfortunately I don't remember how MIDI works in Windows, I haven't been using it for too long.
It is likely that you have to use something like LoopBE to provide virtual MIDI inputs/outputs, though.

Pianoteq user Tobias Strobel (www.tobx.de) has created a very complete TouchOSC layout: with it you can remote control Pianoteq using the touchosc app on your smartphone or tablet.

ten minute setup at https://github.com/tobx/touch-osc-for-pianoteq