Topic: Somewhat dissapointing first impression (sounds very syntesizer-like)

Hi, everybody.

I'm trying to evaluate Pianoteq 5 using a free trial I've got from the site. First of all, I must confess I'm a very much beginning [self-taught] player, I'm using a new Casio Privia PX-160 as my keyboard + ASIO4ALL ASIO driver, and in fact I don't know how REAL piano sounds Yes, there is no mistake, I believe last time I heard real piano IRL was in high school 20 years ago. Of course, I heard a lot of piano themes in recordings, be it plays on youtube or movies' themes. But that's not really the thing. That's why I would like to know opinion of those who indeed plays a lot on real acoustic piano.

My concern is that I'm greatly dissapointed with what Pianoteq offers right from the start. Without velocity curve adjusting, it sounded absolutely disgusting, like sort of syntesizer from old times, trying to emulate the real instrument. I tried to use "Calibration" feature, but it failed me repeatedly many times in a row and now doesn't work at all, despite many program's restarts I conducted (that's a really bad thing for sales when a user can't even conduct initial configuration in a trial version of software..). Then I tried to use some ready velocity presets. "Moderately slow keyboard" worked the best and sound became MUCH better.. but still I must admit I like internal sound of my Privia more - minding it's a really cheap gear it's an alarming signal for me. For me, it sounds more piano-like and natural, without strange noises and overtones I hear when playing Pianoteq.

So the question is: is this how real pianos sound, or is Pianoteq just needs A LOT more configurations before it can sound close to real one? If it's the latter, could you offer some good guides on how I can I configure it?

Later I'll try to record how the same melody sounds like in Pianoteq and in Casio's internal sound, so you could see the difference.

Last edited by AlexS (22-03-2016 17:37)

Re: Somewhat dissapointing first impression (sounds very syntesizer-like)

Must add:
I also tried to use 3 presets for Privia 150 I found on your site (which is very close to Privia 160, so I believe the keys are the same on both), but no one of them produced sound I could like, so I resorted to using default "Moderately slow keyboard" preset again.

Alex:

I am controlling Pianoteq with a PX-780 and I also could not get the calibration to work until I went to "options", "MIDI" and set dialect to hi-res CC#88.  After that it seemed to work fine.
But I must admit that after obtaining that velocity curve I manually "smoothed" it out quite a bit.

Bill

Alex, you need to learn all important details, adjustments, before state such remark.

Velocity curves it's very adjustable on pianoteq, and it's very important to get it right before judge the sound.

Last edited by Beto-Music (22-03-2016 22:24)

Beto-Music, I haven't done any final conclusions yet. The only thing I said is that internal sound of Casio is still more appealing to me, and asked for the reason of this and guidance on how to configure it properly.

you need to learn all importante details, adjustments, before state such remark.

How can I learn it? On the site I can see only general guide describing basic settings Pianoteq allows to change. Without learning all intricacies of piano modelling/manufacturing, it doesn't help a lot, I would need to proceed by blindly tweaking them all.

Is there some guide that provides some general configuration steps from which ALL users can benefit a lot, in terms of quality of sound?

Last edited by AlexS (22-03-2016 18:11)

AlexS wrote:

For me, it sounds more piano-like and natural, without strange noises and overtones I hear when playing Pianoteq.

Real acoustic pianos have all these strange noises and overtones.

However, it's possible there's something misconfigured at the hardware/driver level.  Can you make a recording of the sound your system is making?  Or download MIDI files and compare them to the what's on the Pianoteq website?

Last edited by Mossy (22-03-2016 18:23)

If you'd check out audio demos on the website, those are all created with Pianoteq. That's how pianos sound, actually.

Hard work and guts!

billd wrote:

Alex:

I am controlling Pianoteq with a PX-780 and I also could not get the calibration to work until I went to "options", "MIDI" and set dialect to hi-res CC#88.  After that it seemed to work fine.
But I must admit that after obtaining that velocity curve I manually "smoothed" it out quite a bit.

Bill

Thanks, billd. Now it worked smoothly. Sounds became even better than with this default preset I've been using. Though during the calibration it said that my keyboard can't achieve velocity value 127, which, as it said, most keyboards should be able to achieve. Have you also seen this during configuration? Or keyboard on PX-780 differs significantly from one on PX-160?

I also would really love to learn what actually did you mean by "smoothing" it after that? I'm still observing some strange discrods when I'm trying to smootly (legato-style) play adjacent keys; for example when playing D -> C repeatedly  in the 5th octave while trying to achieve sort of "seamless" transition, I keep hearing for a very brief moment how sounds overlap, creating some unpleasant discord sound. I can't see it on other keys, even on the same keys of different octaves. Is it how real piano behaves, or mb my keyboard needs configuration, or defected? But in general sound became much more clear and natural.

Mossy wrote:

Can you make a recording of the sound your system is making?  Or download MIDI files and compare them to the what's on the Pianoteq website?

I'll try to do it tomorrow.

EvilDragon wrote:

If you'd check out audio demos on the website, those are all created with Pianoteq. That's how pianos sound, actually.

Those are nice, I would like to achieve the same quality of sound in my installation now.

Last edited by AlexS (22-03-2016 18:43)

AlexS wrote:

for example when playing D -> C repeatedly  in the 5th octave while trying to achieve sort of "seamless" transition, I keep hearing for a very brief moment how sounds overlap, creating some unpleasant discord sound. I can't see it on other keys, even on the same keys of different octaves. Is it how real piano behaves, or mb my keyboard needs configuration, or defected?

5th octave, those would be high notes right? That's where pianos don't have any dampers, so sounds ring out fully. Yes, that's how pianos behave.

Would be a good idea to read Pianoteq's manual, you could get a better insight into its features and so on.

Last edited by EvilDragon (22-03-2016 18:48)
Hard work and guts!

AlexS wrote:

for example when playing D -> C repeatedly  in the 5th octave while trying to achieve sort of "seamless" transition, I keep hearing for a very brief moment how sounds overlap, creating some unpleasant discord sound. I can't see it on other keys, even on the same keys of different octaves. Is it how real piano behaves, or mb my keyboard needs configuration, or defected?

I've tested it a bit more, and now I see that with the same velocity curve this effect cannot be seen on some pianos/piano presets (or may be on them it's not that noticeable).

Last edited by AlexS (22-03-2016 19:04)

AlexS wrote:

My concern is that I'm greatly dissapointed with what Pianoteq offers right from the start. Without velocity curve adjusting, it sounded absolutely disgusting, like sort of syntesizer from old times, trying to emulate the real instrument. I tried to use "Calibration" feature, but it failed me repeatedly many times in a row and now doesn't work at all, despite many program's restarts I conducted (that's a really bad thing for sales when a user can't even conduct initial configuration in a trial version of software..). Then I tried to use some ready velocity presets. "Moderately slow keyboard" worked the best and sound became MUCH better.. but still I must admit I like internal sound of my Privia more - minding it's a really cheap gear it's an alarming signal for me.

I had the same thoughts when started using Pianoteq. Pianoteq actually has slightly synthetic character, this is not how acoustic piano should sound. Increasing brightness (via velocity curve, hammers hardness, EQ) helps a little to hide it. Listen demos from the official site and you can notice the same character in all recordings, no matter what model it is. I also wonder that most people here claim they don't notice it, but I think it's pretty obvious. I have very bad ears, but usually can easily distinguish a Pianoteq recording from an acoustic/sampled piano recording.

Pianoteq became better after each release, so I hope someday it will pretty realistic. For now I think good sampled pianos provide better sound, IMHO.

Last edited by Ross (22-03-2016 20:37)
Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

Alex:

What I meant by "smoothing" the velocity curve generated by the calibration function is to reduce the highs and increase the lows, thus taking the curve closer to a straight line between the calibrated low and high point.  By the way the low point is not zero and the high point is not 127 on my PX-780. 
Also I should note that I do not always use this curve.  Some presets seem to me to benefit from a completely different curve.  For instance one of my favorite presets right now is "Model_B_Closed_Mic_modarrt_Video" which was supplied by Modarrt.  For that preset I use the velocity curve supplied which is a straight line from 0,23 to 127,127.  Any other curve I tried did not improve the sound.

Bill

AlexS wrote:

... Then I tried to use some ready velocity presets. "Moderately slow keyboard" worked the best and sound became MUCH better.. but still I must admit I like internal sound of my Privia more - minding it's a really cheap gear it's an alarming signal for me. For me, it sounds more piano-like and natural, without strange noises and overtones I hear when playing Pianoteq.

Hi Alex,
If the the Casio Privia PX-160 has internal sounds and you prefer them, why do you want Pianoteq? Is there something about the Casio Privia PX-160 sound you don't like?

Don

DonSmith wrote:

Hi Alex,
If the the Casio Privia PX-160 has internal sounds and you prefer them, why do you want Pianoteq? Is there something about the Casio Privia PX-160 sound you don't like?

Don

Though Cassio sounds nice, it falls short of what can be heard in any good recording of acoustic piano play you can find on youtube or other resources (I mean those that are performed on really good - and expensive - rig). It also can't be compared to demos that can be found on Pianoteq's site.  So I'm looking for a way to improve quality of the sound, while not investing too much money in it (really good pianos are insanely expensive). I.e. to find some compromising variant.

It seems Pianoteq has a great potential, but to uncover it additional configurations are required. I'll be trying to find some preset I can be fond of now. Thanks to all for your suggestions and ideas.

Last edited by AlexS (23-03-2016 01:41)

After all Pianoteq is just a tool, it can be right or wrong for somebody for certain situations. There are lots of other tools around to choose from. It has adjustable parameters if you know what you need and what to adjust. Some tools are overkill for certain situations. For just some out of nowhere synthetic tests the comparison results may be totally unpredictable, if you are in certain business actually using the tool in a way it meant to be used the results are another. No tools are all around ideal. If you can't see the benefits of Pianoteq for you and since you state that you are quite far from being a pianist the answer is pretty obvious - just stick to your Privia internal sounds, it's a very good digital piano, you can have fun with it or learn how to play, then later if you progressed you can always reconsider. There is no need to look around to prove yourself being wrong asking other people's judgements, just do what is right for you. In all this story the personal playing skills are the most crucial parameter, so for one who can't play even a finest grand piano will sound extremely far from recording standards while for a person with skills even a modest Privia will sound fine, quite obvious.

Last edited by AKM (23-03-2016 10:06)

Maybe you don't like it and that's fine. You should try the Model B though before you dismiss it altogether (also the R2 is quite nice if you're into Rhodes style electrics).

Wrt the velocity curve calibration (which you now have figured), I would consider that a bug. Obviously the software can in principle tell that there is something wrong when it fails to proceed with the calibration. It should at least try high-res MIDI and switch to it automatically when called for. High-res MIDI will become the norm soon enough and Pianoteq needs to accommodate it more seamlessly without every Casio PX (etc) owner having to come to the forums to figure out why their Calibration Assistant is not working. And while changes are being made to the software, the high-res MIDI issue should be clearly documented in the manual.

3/2 = 5

@SteveLy

Are you really 100% sure you feel the difference between hi res and normal? I did a tests and even posted them on this forum and for my experience there is no any noticeable difference by perception between hi res and normal, in most because of some tiny amounts of randomness Pianoteq algorithms have - it kind of "eat" the theoretically possible hi res differentiation. Even with normal velocity there is always about +/- 1 jitter. I have it set to hi res just in case but there is no way I can tell the difference. Are you able to get some other person to help you with a blind tests so you'll be sure you can tell in 100% of cases?

Overall I find this thread amazing from the beginning. It's like coming to a car racing community saying that I don't drive or race at all but was interested about that (one of the best) particular car and was terribly disappointed about it after riding a couple of meters - it is too loud, too hard, no hi-fi system, uncomfortable & ugly inside, the suspension is too low, fuel consumption is terrible, everything is manual, not pleasant to drive at all compared to my grandma's wheels and also as opposite to what I can see on TV races!

Last edited by AKM (23-03-2016 12:02)

I'm 100% sure that I'm not 100% sure! Just that my standard MIDI keyboards feel a bit lifeless compared to the PX-160. When I am playing a piece or a section of a piece that only moves between say ppp and pp, I'm limited to just 10 or so levels --- might as well have a sampled instrument at that point. But since I cannot control my touch to within more than a couple of levels out of 127 at best, the jitter idea sounds very good. There is no reason I can think of why it should not work. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

But there is another shortcoming of 7-bit (0,1,...,127) MIDI. If I want to radically alter the velocity curve in software, there will be big gaps in places, so I am limited in how far I can push things. It's like photo editing/processing with 8-bit colour vs 16-bit colour. The 16-bit colour gives you "headroom" (extra precision to allow for crazy things you might do to the data). Same again with 16-bit vs 24- or 32-bit audio: 16-bit is fine for the final mix but you want more when you want to tinker.

I would not be so harsh on the OP. If he/she does not like Pianoteq that's their call. That's why Pianoteq offers demo versions so people can try it out and see if they like it or not. Maybe the OP would prefer Ivory or Ravenscroft or True Keys etc. I know a lot of people do. Or maybe even a Roland or an older RealPiano hardware module (they were the s**t back in the 1990s). Choosing an instrument is a very subjective thing.

3/2 = 5

I'm posting 2 recordings of my current Pianoteq sound showing 2 issues which bother me most ofall atm. How those were done:

1) First it's played on Casio while Pianoteq is in ASIO mode
2) Then ASIO mode changed to "Windows Audio" (as otherwise it usurps audio output and doesn't allow to record anything) and "replay last MIDI input" feature used in Pianoteq.
Recordings are done with Audacity.

First file shows the issue I've mentioned, unpleasant discord sound that appears when C -> D note sequence is played rapidly in 5th octave (if they are played slow enough it doesn't occur). There are 3 octaves covered in the file; 1st one you'll hear is the problematic one (5th octave), you can clearly feel that very unpleasant sensation when it sounds; then the same notes are played in 6th and 4th octaves, for comparison; as you can hear, there is little to no discords there. Casio also have no such issues.
I must note that not all instruments/presets have this problem. To name one, "Model B (Bright)" doesn't have it (or my ear is unable to register it)

Is there some way to fix it for other models too? Is it some sort of issue real pianos manifest, too?

Second file contains sound of white keys played in 2nd octave on "Bluthner (daily)" preset. Again, I have zero experience with how piano timbres can possibly vary, but can't make myself accept that it's a piano sound. For me, it looks already close to some sort of organ Or, say, electric piano.

Is this really how some acoustic pianos may sound? Or mb you can point out what parameters I need to tune to make it more natural?

Atm I haven't yet figured out how to handle recording of internal Cassio's sound best, so please bear with me a little more, I would like to make a little comparison between it and Pianoteq, and to learn some opinions on what is closer to real piano, and whether or not I can achieve similar (but richer) sound in Pianoteq.

Last edited by AlexS (23-03-2016 15:16)

SteveLy wrote:

But there is another shortcoming of 7-bit (0,1,...,127) MIDI. If I want to radically alter the velocity curve in software, there will be big gaps in places, so I am limited in how far I can push things. It's like photo editing/processing with 8-bit colour vs 16-bit colour. The 16-bit colour gives you "headroom" (extra precision to allow for crazy things you might do to the data). Same again with 16-bit vs 24- or 32-bit audio: 16-bit is fine for the final mix but you want more when you want to tinker.

Yes, sure, it is an argument but again, in reality how radically are you REALLY going to push the velocity curve? ;)

Last edited by AKM (23-03-2016 16:10)

AlexS wrote:

I'm posting 2 recordings of my current Pianoteq sound showing 2 issues which bother me most ofall atm. How those were done:

I hear nothing wrong in these examples you posted. That's how some pianos definitely sound.

Hard work and guts!

AKM wrote:

Yes, sure, it is an argument but again, in reality how radically are you REALLY going to push the velocity curve?

Yes I will, very radically! I had a longer reply but my dog ate it. (seriously, I pressed some funny key combo and it vanished!)

@AlexS

I'm not sure I'm hearing what you're hearing.
There are a lot of instruments there, try them out and see if you like any of them. I don't believe any of us like all of them.

I recommend the Model B (probably the most refined of Modartt's creations), the 1899 Bechstein from the Kremseg#2 collection, maybe the U4 and also the K2 (the latter is a 100% virtual instrument, not a modelled physical instrument), and maybe even the YC5 if the other grands don't float your boat. But there are lots more (including freebies).

If you were to find you don't like any of the instruments then I'd be very surprised. But if you find you dislike most of them then maybe Pianoteq is not your thing.

3/2 = 5

The discord you are hearing is called sympathetic resonance.  In real pianos, vibrating strings affect each other.  The closer they are, the bigger the affect.  Lower-end DP's don't implement sympathetic resonance so when you play multiple notes together, you hear the notes as if they were just independent sources.  If you had a Casio PX-860 (which does implement sympathetic resonance for market segmentation reasons) instead of a 160/360/760/780, you'd hear a similar discord to what Pianoteq produces.

As for the Bluthner, I've never played on in real life so I don't know what they should sound like.  However, these pianos have a 4th string so they don't sound like the typical grand piano you hear in recordings.  See the following topic about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliquot_stringing

Because they are tuned an octave above their constituent pitch, true aliquot strings transmit strong vibrations to the soundboard. Duplex scaling, which typically is tuned a double octave or more above the speaking length, does not. And because aliquot strings are so active, they require dampers or they would sustain uncontrollably and muddy the sound. Aliquot stringing broadens the vibrational energy throughout the instrument, and creates an unusually complex and colorful tone.

This means you'd hear even more discord because the extra aliquot string intensifies the sympathetic resonance.

---

BTW, what speakers/headphones are you using for playback?  On my desktop computer, Pianoteq does sound synthetic but that's because I use a generic phone headset/mic (like the white kind that come with an iPhone) in order to make VOIP/video calls for work.  But on my dedicated Pianoteq computer, I use regular speakers+subwoofer and it sounds way more realistic -- the subwoofer makes a big difference.

Last edited by Mossy (24-03-2016 00:39)

I'm sorry if I won't be able to answer everybody atm, it's pretty late there

First of all, good news: I've found at least one preset I liked This is YC5 recommended by somebody before. Especially I liked "Vintage" preset of it. The funny thing is it sounds VERY close to my Casio, but somewhat richer. And it doesn't have this annoying discord issue between C and D notes of 5th octave.

Mossy wrote:

The discord you are hearing is called sympathetic resonance.  In real pianos, vibrating strings affect each other.  The closer they are, the bigger the affect.  Lower-end DP's don't implement sympathetic resonance so when you play multiple notes together, you hear the notes as if they were just independent sources.  If you had a Casio PX-860 (which does implement sympathetic resonance for market segmentation reasons) instead of a 160/360/760/780, you'd hear a similar discord to what Pianoteq produces.

As for the Bluthner, I've never played on in real life so I don't know what they should sound like.  However, these pianos have a 4th string so they don't sound like the typical grand piano you hear in recordings.  See the following topic about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliquot_stringing

Because they are tuned an octave above their constituent pitch, true aliquot strings transmit strong vibrations to the soundboard. Duplex scaling, which typically is tuned a double octave or more above the speaking length, does not. And because aliquot strings are so active, they require dampers or they would sustain uncontrollably and muddy the sound. Aliquot stringing broadens the vibrational energy throughout the instrument, and creates an unusually complex and colorful tone.

This means you'd hear even more discord because the extra aliquot string intensifies the sympathetic resonance.

Thanks for info on Bluthner, that was interesting. But still it's suspicious: I know about sympathetic resonance, and I hear it a lot in 6-7 octave when strings ring long after they were played. But this particualr issue happens ONLY in this specific place in 5th octave (it does not occur during smooth transition between D and E notes of the same octave), and occurs on different instruments (and does not occurs on some at all, like YC5 I've mentioned above, and when listening to my Cassio's internal sound). That's really strange.

Mossy wrote:

BTW, what speakers/headphones are you using for playback?  On my desktop computer, Pianoteq does sound synthetic but that's because I use a generic phone headset/mic (like the white kind that come with an iPhone) in order to make VOIP/video calls for work.  But on my dedicated Pianoteq computer, I use regular speakers+subwoofer and it sounds way more realistic -- the subwoofer makes a big difference.

I'm using Rolland RH-5 for piano play. It's cheap, but relatively decent pair of "studio" headphones I bought especially for this.

Last edited by AlexS (24-03-2016 01:27)

That's great that you found an instrument you like. I recommended the YC5 because I don't like it but had a feeling you might. (In fact it's the only acoustic piano from Pianoteq that I had not purchased.) And I don't at all like the PX-160's sound either (even through a good sound system) --- I bought it solely as a controller and nothing else. It's one of the worst DP's for sound to my ears. All these things are very subjective. You seem to dislike most the Pianoteq instruments that I like the most. Nothing wrong with that. Music is an art form and like with any art form personal taste and yet unexplained neurochemistry plays a big role in what one likes and doesn't. Put more simply, it's like one's favourite colour; it'd be pretty strange if everyone agreed on green.

While I love Pianoteq and would like to encourage everyone to buy their products, I reckon you should look at sample libraries as well. There are plenty of free ones. There are also other sampling-based commercial products / instruments you might like to look at. I mentioned a few of the better known ones in a previous post. (Unfortunately most of them don't offer trial versions.)

But on Pianoteq, have a go at the K2 as well. And play around with the settings. Picking up the thread from Mossy: try reducing (or even turning off) sympathetic resonance and the other resonance ("Duplex scale" or "Aliquot strings", depending on instrument).

Last edited by SteveLy (24-03-2016 09:59)
3/2 = 5

PS. Re something odd in a specific region of the keyboard (only few notes affected like you're finding with the Bluthner) have a read of this recent discussion: http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=4221
--- I think it concerns the same notes you're having issues with (edit: no it does not, it's the octave above). Subsequently I was able to create an FXP file using Pianoteq Pro that seamlessly changes the settings just around the few problematic notes (problematic for that person's ears, not so much for mine) without affecting the overall timbre of the instrument. Such FXP files can then be used as new presets by anyone with Pianoteq Pro or Std (but not Stage, unfortunately).

Last edited by SteveLy (24-03-2016 09:56)
3/2 = 5

AKM wrote:

Overall I find this thread amazing from the beginning.

I agree.

Human brain tends to recognize things as normal based on references.

For example, people who is used to play in out tune acoustic pianos, in music schools of low resources, tends to thinks that's how a piano should sound and, after play in a very well tunned piano, will think that something is wrong.

In a similar way, people used to play with samplers will strange a bit a real piano harmonics.

My suggestions is to take some time playing in real and well tunned pianos, in a good music school, and you may find pianoteq characteristcs are more natural than you think.

Thanks for the link, SteveLy, but it seems it won't help me that much, even if it will happen to be the reason of my issues, as you need Pro version of software to tune this settings per note, and I don't think disabling it for the whole keyboard is a good idea. And I can't afford Pro atm, I'm afraid

Beto-Music wrote:

For example, people who is used to play in out tune acoustic pianos, in music schools of low resources, tends to thinks that's how a piano should sound and, after play in a very well tunned piano, will think that something is wrong.

In a similar way, people used to play with samplers will strange a bit a real piano harmonics.

My suggestions is to take some time playing in real and well tunned pianos, in a good music school, and you may find pianoteq characteristcs are more natural than you think.

Beto-Music, you have a point, I must admit

----------

One thing still worries me (and again stems from my lack of experience with real pianos):
1) Is it okay that my Privia doesn't play a sound at all if I press some key VERY slowly? Doesn't hammer still have to strike a string and produce some sound anyway, regardless of speed?
2) Is it okay that on the first step of calibraion in Pianoteq, when I was asked to press key as slow as possible, I did it that way too (i.e. without producing any sound)? May be I should have interpreted it like "as slow as possible, but still producing some sound"?

Last edited by AlexS (24-03-2016 18:18)

1) You can press a key on piano VERY lightly and it won't hit the string, but there will be mechanical noises sounding out. Also, if you hit any other notes WHILE you have this silent key pressed, you get sympathetic resonances from the silent key (because its damper is not damping the strings).

Last edited by EvilDragon (24-03-2016 18:59)
Hard work and guts!

AlexS wrote:

Thanks for the link, SteveLy, but it seems it won't help me that much, even if it will happen to be the reason of my issues, as you need Pro version of software to tune this settings per note, and I don't think disabling it for the whole keyboard is a good idea. And I can't afford Pro atm, I'm afraid

Beto-Music wrote:

Beto-Music, you have a point, I must admit

----------

One thing still worries me (and again stems from my lack of experience with real pianos):
1) Is it okay that my Privia doesn't play a sound at all if I press some key VERY slowly? Doesn't hammer still have to strike a string and produce some sound anyway, regardless of speed?
2) Is it okay that on the first step of calibraion in Pianoteq, when I was asked to press key as slow as possible, I did it that way too (i.e. without producing any sound)? May be I should have interpreted it like "as slow as possible, but still producing some sound"?

If I touch your cheek very slowly, you turn around and fall down like if I slapped your face?

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

Chopin87, well if you suddenly come to me on the street and touch my cheek very slowly, I will definitely react somehow But the problem is my Casio is dead silent in that case. And I can't even say I always press keys THAT slow, i.e. often when I just try to play something in very low volume of sound, I produce such "dead notes" involuntarily even with internal sound (and in Pianoteq too). That's why I thought mb I need to do something with the sensitivity of the keyboard, or speed curve, or both.

Another question (I hope billd or SteveLy will be able to comment on this as they seem to posses similar devices) is what should I do with emulation of different hammers' weights my piano does. I believe it just do this by setting different sensitivity for different parts of keyboard (like, on lower octave keys it's harder to trigger hammer action because hammers are much heavier there). Here is a quote from their site:

Casio's proprietary Hammer Response feature takes into consideration the speed at which different sized hammers move inside an acoustic grand piano relative to the velocity the keys are played. This timing nuance provides the ultimate key-to-sound experience that is unmatched by the standard actions of other brands.

I saw disputes on whether it's a good or a bad thing over the Internet. I saw opinions that modern digital pianos shouldn't do this as modern acoustic pianos try to get rid of this differences through design enhancements. I believe I can disable this feature in my Casio, do you think this may enhance its compatibility with Pianoteq as a midi keyboard?

Last edited by AlexS (25-03-2016 00:42)

AlexS wrote:

I believe I can disable this feature in my Casio, do you think this may enhance its compatibility with Pianoteq as a midi keyboard?

Interesting question, indeed.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

@AlexS

The link I referred you to was not so much to "solve your problem" but to give you some insight into what goes on under the hood and to show you that you're not the only one who wants little things "fixed" in the default setup of instruments. You don't need Pianoteq Pro to use an FXP file but you would need Pianoteq Std to take advantage of an FXP (customised preset) that includes note-by-note editing. And the forum is great if you want some help with creating a new preset that requires note-by-note fine tuning (and can't afford Ptq Pro) because other users who do have the Pro version will likely be able to whip one up for you. And in Std you can explore the parameters and decide how you want things to sound near specific notes. But we're getting way ahead of ourselves here. With the trial versions of Ptq Stage or Std alone you should be able to find good instruments and if need be tweak them to your liking.

Re no sound for lightest touch: that's how a proper piano KB should behave because that's how a real piano behaves. If you don't give the hammer enough momentum, it won't fly far enough to hit the string. Some piano KBs don't work that way (like my SL Numa Nero) and that's basically a bug; but it can be fixed using Ptq's velocity curve. When calibrating I interpret "Press a key as softly as you can" [while still making the softest sound you can] --- but I don't think it matters a great deal if you make a sound or not. As long as you see some MIDI output (green vertical line) pop up on the v-curve graph. Even if there is no sound MIDI level 0 should be registered. You can always manually refine the velocity curve after the initial calibration (and typically you would).

As for the Casio hammer response timing thing, I think it's just a gimmick. There are more significant delays associated with the speed of sound in air. But maybe it's just a badly worded bit of marketing spiel and it's meant to say that the KB responds to the movement of the hammers, not just the keys themselves. To the best of my knowledge the three sensors on each PX-160 note consist of two sensors for the key and one sensor for the hammer. Ideally you'd want all the sensors on the hammer but that's trickier to implement. So maybe the marketing talk is meant to be a substitute for something more honest like:

We have sensors on the hammers for more realistic response, unlike some of our competitors who put all the sensors on the keys only and ignore the hammers [e.g., SL88 Grand]. But to keep costs down we could only manage one sensor per hammer and the other two are still only for the keys. But we fixed this up with some clever calculations that combine the input from key and hammer sensors to best mimic having all three sensors on the hammers.

But don't take any of this too seriously. I'm only guessing, trying to read between the lines of marketing talk smoke & mirrors. (It could also be that all three sensors are on the keys and the hammer movement is calculated from that; I've seen conflicting illustrations online. One of these days I'll open my PX-160 up and will look for myself. But I've already done an experiment that strongly suggests there is a sensor on each hammer. I'm a physicist btw. I like to know how things work.) Bottom line is, don't worry about it, just play the thing because it works very well out-of-the-box for such a cheap KB.

Last edited by SteveLy (25-03-2016 04:15)
3/2 = 5

Well, I suppose each person and each person's ears are different, and sometimes people tend to prefer what they are already accustomed to.

I love PianoTeq and its instruments, and can barely stand my sampled pianos (or even Roland's "SuperNatural" hybrid sampled/modeled pianos) anymore. I'd rather play using PianoTeq than on a real acoustic piano (at least those that are typically available to play).

--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

I'd rather play using PianoTeq than on a real acoustic piano (at least those that are typically available to play).

Same.

Setting the Action / Mute  to zero, can really help in getting a sound that contains less disharmonic sidetones.

But I guess it actually gives a less "real" piano sound.  For me it works, as i am actually an organ player, and I got a little annoyed of hearing some of these sympathic res. effects.

Greetings,

Geert

Noob remark here:
May be it is all much simpler than you think. May be you've got resonance happening between particular notes and the system that makes room imitation and hull imitation? . Did you try to turn off all effects to see if the problem is still there? Did you try to move virtual mics in some weird position, like behind the deck?

Barafu wrote:

Noob remark here:
May be it is all much simpler than you think. May be you've got resonance happening between particular notes and the system that makes room imitation and hull imitation? . Did you try to turn off all effects to see if the problem is still there? Did you try to move virtual mics in some weird position, like behind the deck?

Don't think so, I've not yet changed any tricky parameters of the tool, aside from velocity curve; just been trying different prepackaged presets. It seems to be peculiarities of different pianos' designs. For example, "Erard well tempered" (one more model/preset I like very much now) doesn't have this "C-D" issue, but instead has issue with VERY disturbing sound resulting from playing F4 and E5 simultaneously, while on other instruments I can't remember something like this bothering me (I'm playing the same piece again and again on all of them; it's actually the single piece I can play atm )

Last edited by AlexS (26-03-2016 20:51)

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

I love PianoTeq and its instruments, and can barely stand my sampled pianos (or even Roland's "SuperNatural" hybrid sampled/modeled pianos) anymore. I'd rather play using PianoTeq than on a real acoustic piano (at least those that are typically available to play).

One year ago I used to play sampled pianos and I liked them more than the pianoteq demo. Then, since I never managed to tame Windows to run without mysterious system processes randomly consuming resources, I decided to "settle" for pianoteq in linux.
After a few months, I tried the sampled pianos again and surprisingly found out that now I prefer the pianoteq sound... I don't know exactly why. Maybe it's because I made a custom calibration (I have a VPC1 but was not satisfied by its factory pianoteq profile).
I'd love to try a real acoustic grand piano, though. :-)

alessandro wrote:

I'd love to try a real acoustic grand piano, though. :-)

You'll have to have a very expensive large one to sound as good as Pianoteq.

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

GRB wrote:

You'll have to have a very expensive large one to sound as good as Pianoteq.

That's true. I've played some very nice grand pianos, but the really good ones are few and far between, and beyond the economic reach of most people including myself.

Most of the pianos that one might find locally, in the homes of family and friends, in schools, churches, community buildings, nightclubs, etc., are usually somewhat out of tune, not well maintained, and have a significant number to many eccentricities both of action and of sound, making them a much less than truly satisfying experience to play. One exception to that general rule are the fairly nice pianos kept in good shape in college auditoriums for student, faculty and visiting artist concerts and ensembles.

--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

It's fun to play on a top quality large grand, but I genuinely enjoy the sound of  my Pianoteq.  It's  a very musical instrument with many advantages over a historic piano.  Symphony orchestras will continue to use them, but symphonies are also a dying breed. Many cities have difficulty in support the cost of a large symphony organization.  It's like comparing a Macintosh Tube Amp to a smart phone.

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/Assets/Imag...27_009.jpg

There is no direct connection between the hammer and string on an acoustic grand.  The hammer is flipped up at the string.  There has to be a certain amount of velocity in the key press for it to be flipped up.  A big issue with electronic controllers is the electrical contacts under the keys and exactly how they respond to nuance of touch and speed or force of the touch.  This then has to be interpreted by the computer voice (Pianoteq piano simulation).

There seem to be two weak areas in electronic instruments.  The feel and response of the keyboard.  Is it musical? Can it be controlled with nuance, and does it feel predictable.  Secondly, the speakers themselves with must replicate the sound of an actual acoustic instrument as authentically as possible.  The reason Pianoteq is popular is that it sounds "real."  I like it because it is very musical, and it's quite possible to play it emotionally.

GRB wrote:

Secondly, the speakers themselves with must replicate the sound of an actual acoustic instrument as authentically as possible.

This!

I recently upgraded to a pair of Dynaudio monitors and sub and the difference has been night and day.  While Pianoteq sounded very good on what I had before, it's now awfully darn close to truly sounding like "the instrument in the room".  Full and clean production of the audio spectrum for the acoustic instrument(s) we're representing is simply a must!

Touch is of course important as well, but perhaps not as make-it-or-break-it as some might be inclined to imagine.  Every acoustic instrument has its own unique feel, and when we start getting into historic pianos/fortepianos (especially those with wienermekanik) then it's all very much up for grabs.  A digital keyboard should of course be responsive and allow for an ample spread of color/nuance, but at the end of the day (given a certain baseline of construction quality) this is I think more about the individual player's control than it is about the keyboard itself.  I'm working with a Roland A-88 and am quite pleased with the results.  Does it feel like a Steinway?  No, and neither does it feel like, say, an actual 1790s Walter (several of which I have experience working with).  It does however give me the control that I need and I really don't feel like I'm "missing" something by using the digital instrument over an acoustic one, nor do I find any difficulty switching between the A-88 and acoustic instruments.  "it's a poor craftsman that blames his tools"...

Last edited by _DJ_ (30-03-2016 22:03)
Matthieu 7:6

_DJ_ wrote:
GRB wrote:

Secondly, the speakers themselves with must replicate the sound of an actual acoustic instrument as authentically as possible.

This!

I recently upgraded to a pair of Dynaudio monitors and sub and the difference has been night and day.  While Pianoteq sounded very good on what I had before, it's now awfully darn close to truly sounding like "the instrument in the room".  Full and clean production of the audio spectrum for the acoustic instrument(s) we're representing is simply a must!

Touch is of course important as well, but perhaps not as make-it-or-break-it as some might be inclined to imagine.  Every acoustic instrument has its own unique feel, and when we start getting into historic pianos/fortepianos (especially those with wienermekanik) then it's all very much up for grabs.  A digital keyboard should of course be responsive and allow for an ample spread of color/nuance, but at the end of the day (given a certain baseline of construction quality) this is I think more about the individual player's control than it is about the keyboard itself.  I'm working with a Roland A-88 and am quite pleased with the results.  Does it feel like a Steinway?  No, and neither does it feel like, say, an actual 1790s Walter (several of which I have experience working with).  It does however give me the control that I need and I really don't feel like I'm "missing" something by using the digital instrument over an acoustic one, nor do I find any difficulty switching between the A-88 and acoustic instruments.  "it's a poor craftsman that blames his tools"...

This is very interesting for me. My setup is a Casio PX-160 going into a PC and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 going out to KRK Rokit 6 G3's. I'm not 100% happy with the sound. My biggest dissatisfaction is with the mid-range, but not having experience with concert grands, I assumed the most important upgrade for me would be to a better keyboard.

I have a few questions.

Has anyone here played around with the KRKs and with some relatively expensive monitors and noticed a big difference?

I play in a relatively confined space like 12'x16'. With more expensive monitors, is the subwoofer that important? I would have to put the subwoofer in the corner. Isn't this supposed to be bad?

Another question I have is that with my monitors pointing at me diagonally, each of them is practically touching the drywall. I don't have much space to pull them away from the wall. How important is it for me to acoustically treat the wall to reduce vibration?

I think it would cost me about $500 to upgrade to the Dynaudios without the subwoofer, and I'm wondering if it will make such a big difference.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

beakybird wrote:

I play in a relatively confined space like 12'x16'. With more expensive monitors, is the subwoofer that important? I would have to put the subwoofer in the corner. Isn't this supposed to be bad?

Another question I have is that with my monitors pointing at me diagonally, each of them is practically touching the drywall. I don't have much space to pull them away from the wall. How important is it for me to acoustically treat the wall to reduce vibration?

i think the sub is very important for representing the lower registers... your monitors aren't going to reasonably get you to 29Hz.  the sub is non-directional so placement isn't such an issue (though i do keep mine under the lower end of the keyboard.  further, i've been experimenting with angling the monitors in an upward configuration (i'm aware that this is not how they're designed to work) in an effort at emulating the radiance of an acoustic instrument's soundboard/lid configuration.  i personally find it quite convincing, but your mileage may vary...

http://5.t.imgbox.com/rOcodfMT.jpg

(pardon the mess!)

Matthieu 7:6

I've played a few home pianos by Yamaha and other companies that had the monitors places under the key bed, facing the floor. This arrangement has often sound good to me--the sounds are dispersed a little as they bounce off the floor and back up to the player. Not sure how to replicate this arrangement with large monitors, however. They take up so much space that, even if I built a stand designed to hold them in that position, they would protrude so far downwards that there would be no room for things like legs and knees....

I have one more question for the audiophiles who are still following this thread. Would I see a greater improvement in sound upgrading monitors from the $400/pair Rokit 6s to a more expensive monitor or by adding a subwoofer? The Rokits are rated down to 38Hz. Money is tight.

Maybe I would upgrade the monitors this year and add the subwoofer the next year. Thanks in advance.

ATH-M50x headphones.

My 2 cents. I'm a kind of a technology geek slash audiophile person. I have a huge experience with high quality audio equipment. Right now I'm using super modest consumer grade speakers and headphones. I totally 100% don't feel that it is something that limiting me badly while playing a keyboard. Sure if one can afford some nice pro speakers it is always just overall great. But for me all that jazz I mean playing the electronic piano is not exactly about 'listening' it is so much more about 'playing'. So any speakers will serve. It's like when you listen to Horowitz playing on a fancy speakers it's cool, but if you listen to the same recording on a shetty* speakers it's still Horowitz playing with no mistake about it. And a bit more. The cleaner the sound I make with Pianoteq and/or with/without external Plugins the more obvious it's artificial nature comes out, and as opposite the more masking I apply using mic placement, reverb settings, even maybe some tape distortion, Eq the more indistinguishable from a real piano recording it becomes. For me it all comes to finding the right balance. Lately I tend to use two types of presets: one more clean for everyday practice and second more degraded retro type sounding for pure enjoyment. I switch between this two all the time.

*forum settings does not let me to write it correctly.

Last edited by AKM (02-04-2016 13:42)