Topic: Sampled or Modeled? Better or just different?

Sampled or modeled, which is better?

Added later: This is not a blind comparison test, to see whether a person can tell which file is sampled and which is modeled. As Beto-Music says, the differences are obvious. Instead, it is to see which sound a person likes best, which sounds best for this particular piece of music.

This is a rough draft of a part of the piano portion of a jazz trio I'm working on. One of the files uses a very nicely sampled piano, another uses a PianoTeq model preset. Files' volumes normalized to -2 dBfs.

File A
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...raft_A.mp3

File B
(overly bright (see comments below); replaced with less bright file C below)

File C
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...raft_C.mp3

File D
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...raft_D.mp3

---
I'll put my own thoughts a little later in the thread.

Steve

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (13-03-2016 18:34)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Re: Sampled or Modeled? Better or just different?

Nice jazz of yours.  :-)

But the files are too different in terms of brightness for a fair comparison blind test, like one was recorded with a piano with hammers too soft and the other from a piano with the hammers too hard.

Stephen, you are very good, made many very nice posts, but need to get a bit calm and take your time, to get your best.
Don't let anxiety and enthusiasm rush things.   ;-)

Last edited by Beto-Music (11-03-2016 18:18)

Beto-Music wrote:

the files are too different in terms of brightness for a fair comparison blind test

Yes, they're very different. This is not a blind comparison test like the last two files I posted. It's merely to see which sound people like better. I know what I like best, but I thought I would add my comments a little later in the thread, and to the modeled versus sampled controversy.

Last night I spent 4-5 hours listening closely to a well sampled piano and then adjusting various parameters in a PianoTeq preset to try to sound almost identical to the sample. But I became very, very bored doing it; I felt like I was making PianoTeq's sound worse and worse. I have played sampled pianos for years, and more recently, Roland's overhyped (in my view) "SuperNatural" pianos. I like PianoTeq much better.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (12-03-2016 03:01)
--

Oh, sorry for my earlier comment.
Now I see the difference between models was intentional.

The B file sounds more even but it's too bright in heavier segments of then performance.

The A file sounds too mellow in high key velocities, but have some nice imperfections here and there.

My preferance would be something in the middle of both.

My bet it's that the B file is pianoteq, but maybe the A file could be pianoteq with the hammers softned.

Last edited by Beto-Music (11-03-2016 19:25)

Both are good, both are too bright for my taste, but I like "A" more. "B" has slightly synthetic character, so I think it's Pianoteq.

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Last night I spent 4-5 hours listening closely to a well sampled piano and then adjusting various parameters in a PianoTeq preset to try to sound almost identical to the sample. But I became very, very bored doing it.

Funny fact is that nobody from audience really care about sound. Audience care about music, sound just should be not so bad. And even internal sound of cheap digital pianos most people consider as not so bad.

Last edited by Ross (11-03-2016 19:43)
Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

Good job at matching the overall timbre! I like them both, with only a slight preference for A. B sounds like it has a bit of unison detuning (mainly in the bass notes?) which A doesn't have, and this detuning doesn't sound quite natural. However, it adds a bit of interest.  B does sound slightly synthetic. A has some "body" which makes it sound more natural than B.  I did read the "answer" before I posted this, but it hasn't changed what I was going to write. ;^)

Greg.

Thanks skip and everyone for your comments. Overly bright file B removed, replaced with less bright file C.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (12-03-2016 03:02)
--

I still like "A" the most, but "C" is better then "B". IMHO.

Last edited by Ross (12-03-2016 07:44)

"A" has a lot more clarity than "C"; this is very apparent in the block chords starting around 0min 22sec.

edit: I've repositioned my speakers and listening position slightly and the difference in "clarity" I mentioned above is no longer so apparent. I believe I was smack bang in the middle of the room (5m x 4m approx) before.

Last edited by SteveLy (12-03-2016 16:38)
3/2 = 5

Ross wrote:

I still like "A" the most, but "C" is better then "B". IMHO.

I agree. A has a wider tonal range, since it is capable of more round timbres at low velocities and metallic timbres at higher velocities, while B is metallic, and to me metallic in a somewhat thin way, even at low velocities. Edit: And version C suffers from the same problem as B, but is less harsh at high velocities. Still wiry on soft strikes, to me.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (12-03-2016 22:12)

Hi, i hear in A a clear better sound but mis the dynamics, in C I hear a warmer deeper sound and better dynamics but more synthetic sound,
Thanks en good luck!

File D added for comparison.

--

"D" is very synthetic, my brain doesn't believe that it's a piano.

Ross wrote:

"D" is very synthetic, my brain doesn't believe that it's a piano.

Thank you Ross for comparing the files and for your comments.

--

I prefer the C.
I don't like the D at all

I prefer C for the rich sustain, A perhaps for clarity and the attack which seems more suited to modern productions.

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

File A is a sampled piano.
File C is a PianoTeq model.
File D is a piano tone that has been highly processed, has no sympathetic string resonance, no delay, no reverb, and a large degree of equalization applied.

To me, most piano samples, however clear and beautiful, sound relatively flat, sterile, and dead.
PianoTeq's models sound dynamic and alive.
These are of course subjective impressions. But I would rather see a giant Blue Morpho butterfly alive in the rainforest (as I have done) than a dead specimen of the butterfly in a display case. I would rather see a real opal or diamond, sparkling from different angles, than the best static photograph of either gemstone.

In this sense, although I'm sure that the PianoTeq developers will continue to refine the algorithms that produce the PianoTeq models, PianoTeq seems like an attempt to recreate the "living, breathing" dynamic sound and environment of an acoustic piano, but more than that, to create one or several ideal versions of those pianos it attempts to model, lacking many of the deficiencies, eccentricities, unwanted and erratic resonances or other tonal characteristics in certain small ranges or even single keys or notes that cause uneven gradations in volume or marked differences in tone color, less than ideal soundboards, poorly manufactured, damaged or flawed strings and who knows what other odd characteristics pianos usually have from one instrument to another. PianoTeq even allows one to add such variation from one key or tone to the next to simulate the variations present in nearly all acuoustic pianos.

An acoustic piano maker might be happy to achieve in a real acoustic piano some of the sound possible or created by PianoTeq, and musicians might enjoy playing such a piano. In this sense, instead of asking, "does PianoTeq sound as good as an acoustic piano," the thought might occur to a person, as it has to me: does any acoustic piano I've ever played sound as good as the PianoTeq models already sound, regardless of how much or in what ways they could be further improved or made more ideal?

Music itself is not composed of the sounds used to realize or embody the music. There are a great many instruments that sound different one from another. We don't complain that a violin doesn't sound like a saxophone, or a french horn doesn't sound like the human voice. Music is composed merely of rhythm, melody and harmony (and sometimes not all three at the same time). Composers and musicians use a great variety of instruments and sounds to produce those rhythms, melodies and harmonies. Even among pianos and other keyboard instruments such as historical fortepianos and harpsichords, the sounds vary greatly, but the music, while sounding different on each, can be as compelling in certain ways using many different types of sound source, which is why so many transcriptions abound, even by the original composer (such as Bach), from keyboard for example to violins and other strings, guitar, human voice or even marimba. A great melody can be recognizable as a great melody on a toy piano or on a concert-hall grand piano. Great rhythms can be played as effectively and movingly on found and natural objects as on well-tuned drums and other percussion instruments.

Since the creation of electronic sound sources, such as the theremin and later, the early Moog synthetic sound modules, musicians and composers have eagerly adopted alternative sound sources to use for the rhythms, melodies and harmonies of the music they compose or play.

To my ears, the PianoTeq models are already usually more engaging and enjoyable than most sampled pianos or synthesizer piano-like tones I've played, even though I continue to use and enjoy some other piano samples and piano-like tones at times, sometimes in conjunction with each other. But for me, the chief goal is to create living music, and PianoTeq seems like a wonderful tool, one among many, to use or exploit for that purpose.

This is just one point of view. I'll step away from the podium and the microphone now.

Steve

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (15-03-2016 15:50)
--

I feel everything you've said is true- but the way you have expressed yourself is truly remarkable.  I go back and forth with my acoustic grand Yamaha and Pianoteq. Enjoy them both- but I think Pianaoteq has the edge.

jdwosh wrote:

I go back and forth with my acoustic grand Yamaha and Pianoteq. Enjoy them both- but I think Pianaoteq has the edge.

This is an amazing statement the like of which I don't think I've heard anyone say before. The Modartt guys will be happy when they read it.

Aidan wrote:
jdwosh wrote:

I go back and forth with my acoustic grand Yamaha and Pianoteq. Enjoy them both- but I think Pianaoteq has the edge.

This is an amazing statement the like of which I don't think I've heard anyone say before. The Modartt guys will be happy when they read it.

Others have said similar things, e.g., how pianoteq + controller is easier to play expressively than acoustic instruments. I myself prefer playing Pianoteq with a good controller to our Kawai acoustic grand (which is a very well maintained approx 20 y.o. instrument). It's basically because I have more control over the sound with a lot less work. Maybe it's just a crutch but given my limited abilities I welcome a well-working crutch. I can do a lot more subtle stuff on the digital instrument.

It's nice to have both though. And I'd still like to get a decent acoustic upright as well. Pianoteq definitely was my ticket back into playing piano again after several years break from it. I never liked playing sampled DPs; find them very uninspiring.

3/2 = 5

There are nothing bad in various electronic sounds, but if a certain Pianoteq's model promote itself as virtual copy of a certain acoustic piano, it should be sounds as close as possible to that piano. So, as I understand from this topic I actually not the only man who hears the synthetic character of Pianoteq's examples here. It's may be ok for K2 model, but for all models that copy a real acoustic piano it's a bad thing and should be fixed.

And yes, Pianoteq models are more "live" than sampled. But unfortunately only the pianist feel it, because only he can estimate a response. Audience only listen the final rendering sound and maybe will prefer a sampled piano, that actually was showed in this topic.

I'm not a fan of Pianoteq, and not an enemy. I just try be objective to criticize it.

Last edited by Ross (14-03-2016 10:29)

Hi Ross, many words are spend on this topic. For me Pianoteq has infinite advantages above samplers.  I tried to put two wav files for comparison here. Don't know how to import, if you like you can use the soundcloud link to paste in your browser.

One file is recorded in Pianoteq, the other one is recorded in the player from another manufacturer from up Nord, who came about at the same time with an excellent sample model of the B 211.

Its much about the rendering. Both files are plain from the player, nothing added or so. The Pianoteq preset is adjusted to the sound of the sampler. For me Pianoteq is equall or better in sound quality. The sampler version has got more noises, and metallic sounds, thats a question of taste. At least the modeled grand has got more dynamics, sounds more balanced, and besides that is a joy to play.

https://soundcloud.com/schoutenmusic/cl...ark-ezay-1

https://soundcloud.com/schoutenmusic/cl...sther-park

Last edited by Dick van Dyke (14-03-2016 23:34)

Dick: Thanks - I like A best, but not by much.

Greg.

Dick van Dyke wrote:

One file is recorded in Pianoteq, the other one is recorded in the player from another manufacturer from up Nord, who came about at the same time with an excellent sample model of the B 211.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post these two comparison files of a sampled and modeled Steinway B.

The sampled piano certainly sounds clear and well recorded, and both files make the performance sound very good.

However, as you do, I prefer the sound and details of the modeled Steinway B to those of the sampled grand piano.

To me, when listening to both files through studio reference speakers, the sampled piano sounds like an excellent recorded performance of the Clementi sonata, while the modeled piano sounds more as though I am hearing the piano and performance live, in the same room. The sound is more dynamic.

I think that one reason some people might have a preference for the sampled piano sound is because we are all accustomed to hearing and judging recorded performances perhaps more than we have the opportunity to hear the pieces played live (I have thousands of audio CDs, but am rarely able to attend a live concert, for example). Therefore, we may tend to judge sound quality based upon a comparison in our minds with the best recorded performances we have heard of favorite piano music, rather than upon live performance. That is merely a guess.

This is a much better comparison than the poor files I posted at the beginning of this discussion thread. Thank you.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (15-03-2016 15:48)
--

Great comparison, Dick van Dyke. Both files sounds great.

A is more clear, authentic, and has better attack.

B has better dynamics, sustain and damping, wider timbral range and more dependence on velocity, more consistent, but sometimes sounds too synthetic (for example, at 2:00).

For overall sound I prefer A, but not so much. Maybe because A's advantages are more central and immediately apparent, but B's advantage are more subtle.

Last edited by Ross (15-03-2016 10:28)

Jumped straight to the end of thread to post it and then I will read the others' choices

I like C the most. To me it is deeper and seems to have more little overtones around.

Then, A which is still great but doesn't have that richness comparing to C

Then, D but I think my judgment is slightly biased. I think D is recorded as mono? am I right?

Thanks

Last edited by Celdor (15-03-2016 15:17)

I like "C"  the best.  It seems to have more vibrance and clarity.  I'm listening with headphones.  Curious to know which is which.  There's a lot of variation in Pianoteq voices so one piano is not necessarily the best for each musical style.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ha ha, I chose the Pianoteq simply based on my own personal taste of musicality.

Last edited by GRB (15-03-2016 22:37)
Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

Dick van Dyke wrote:

Hi Ross, many words are spend on this topic. For me Pianoteq has infinite advantages above samplers.  I tried to put two wav files for comparison here. Don't know how to import, if you like you can use the soundcloud link to paste in your browser.

Its much about the rendering. Both files are plain from the player, nothing added or so. The Pianoteq preset is adjusted to the sound of the sampler. For me Pianoteq is equall or better in sound quality. The sampler version has got more noises, and metallic sounds, thats a question of taste. At least the modeled grand has got more dynamics, sounds more balanced, and besides that is a joy to play.

https://soundcloud.com/schoutenmusic/cl...ark-ezay-1

https://soundcloud.com/schoutenmusic/cl...sther-park

On your Soundcloud page I prefer the last one.  I'm not fond of overly bright pianos.

Aidan wrote:
jdwosh wrote:

I absolutely prefer my Pianoteq to my 5'10" Chickering Grand.  The bottom line is Pianoteq is a very musical 21st Century Instrument.

Last edited by GRB (15-03-2016 22:43)

GRB wrote:

I absolutely prefer my Pianoteq to my 5'10" Chickering Grand.  The bottom line is Pianoteq is a very musical 21st Century Instrument.

I agree with above statement that Pianoteq is very musical intrument. It is very live digital instrument, but I dont agree that sound from Pianoteq has anything with the sound of real Steinway or any acoustic piano which sound we should expect to hear (close as possible) as a models in this program. Rather it is something that is digitally similar to piano or should I say its sound like Pianoteq. At the moment either you love it or not. Dont get me wrong, it is beautiful if we look from different angles from real piano. For me it is unique instrument and I love tech.specs. of Pianoteq but I dont like the sound of it. I still wait for the next version with much more `similar` sound to real piano. Yeah, I know, am ready for attack, but please dont bother me with stories about dynamics, sympathic resonance, and others live digital feautures, because I already said that I like that part of Pianoteq, but at the and its a sound of piano that we hear and want, or maybe as a GRB said he prefer Pianoteq. I respect that as a opinion for two different instruments.

Last edited by slobajudge (17-03-2016 13:40)

@slobajudge --- Interesting comments and point of view. However, regarding the following comment--

slobajudge wrote:

I dont agree that sound from Pianoteq has anything with the sound of real Steinway or any acoustic piano which sound we should expect to hear

A sampled piano is not "a real piano" either, but instead a recorded approximation of an acoustic piano, which usually sounds different live than in a recording. With a sampled piano we are not hearing the piano, we are hearing the microphone.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (17-03-2016 16:27)
--

Stephen_Doonan wrote:
slobajudge wrote:

I dont agree that sound from Pianoteq has anything with the sound of real Steinway or any acoustic piano which sound we should expect to hear

Well, in all fairness, a sampled piano is not "a real piano" either, but instead a recorded approximation of an acoustic piano, which usually sounds different live than in a recording. With a sampled piano we are not hearing the piano, we are hearing the microphone.

Partially correct, but depends how much effort someone put in a process of recording piano. If he do the job good then you will hear a piano the way its sounds. Unfortunately even big names in sample world dont do that in a good faith and will. I will always stand beside the sound of Fluffy audio My piano as exception no matter it is not perfect, because it sound incredible realistic and beautiful upright Petrof piano and it is a work of one man. When I hear that kind of sound in Pianoteq, I will delete all sample libraries from my computer.

@slobajudge -- Sampled pianos can certainly sound very good. For years my favorite piano sound was the sampled "Perfect Piano," which like Fluffy Audio's My Piano, was the work of one man, musician and recording engineer William Coakley. It was a beautifully sampled piano sound that I still have and use occasionally, although it sounds a little sterile and flat to me now when I compare it to more dynamic piano representations that include algorithm based characteristics such as modeled sympathetic string resonance (which I see Fluffy Audio uses as well).

--

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

@slobajudge -- Sampled pianos can certainly sound very good. For years my favorite piano sound was the sampled "Perfect Piano," which like Fluffy Audio's My Piano, was the work of one man, musician and recording engineer William Coakley. It was a beautifully sampled piano sound that I still have and use occasionally, although it sounds a little sterile and flat to me now when I compare it to more dynamic piano representations that include algorithm based characteristics such as modeled sympathetic string resonance (which I see Fluffy Audio uses as well).

Thank you for point me to this Perfect piano, it really sounds good from demos.  I agree with you, we all want the same, it just isn`t here yet, nor Pianoteq nor samples from real acoustic piano perspective. Pianoteq have future. We see what will happened with the samples. Technology is not important for players and piano lovers, but piano it is, playbility and sound must meet finally someday to the point where everybody will be happy.

Last edited by slobajudge (17-03-2016 18:46)

We hear recorded piano performances, sampled performances, and modeled piano performances through headsets or speakers.

Strictly speaking I would say we are essentially listening to speakers systems of one sort or another, transmitted to the human ear. Then making a judgement about the instrument sound of the speaker system.

For myself and a few others, we can't tell the difference between Pianoteq or Sampled pianos or recorded live pianos be it Steinway or any other brand heard in this way (barring some obvious giveaway, and even then). Last year or so, on the Pianoworld forum there was a blind taste test between pianos and I happened to choose Pianoteq because I thought it was the best sounding piano. I was not the only one to choose Pianoteq.

I also own the Ravenscroft VST and I just feel that it sounds synthetic through my headset (AKG 240 MK II). I still like it, but it is a real piano sampled sound. Pianoteq D4 sounds exactly like a real Steinway D recorded classical performance that I heard on Youtube sometime ago.

When I have money I would like to see if I could create a 5:1 Speaker System that replicates the feeling of the waves of vibrations when sitting at an acoustic.

The difference between the piano and the spectrum pianoteq. A photo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ms4hpb4tgmj68...0.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vyol9i9y0inxc...8.png?dl=0

Right Pianoteq. It can be seen in the ordered structure of the beat in Pianoteq overtones. At the piano beats have a non-uniform structure. Hearing very sensitive may notice a difference in the behavior of the overtones. As overtones energy unfolds in time, you can look at this comparison video (available only via the link):

https://youtu.be/Bwj_qCAc4gY

Pianoteq still young and does not have "wrinkles"))
upd..(Comparison is not with the steinway)

Last edited by scherbakov.al (17-03-2016 19:59)

@scherbakov.al -- Those are very interesting images and video of a comparison between the spectral and waveform analyses of PianoTeq and an acoustic piano. Thank you for posting those.

And, yours is a beautiful performance of the Scriabin Etude opus 2, number 1 at YouTube (and it sounds great using PianoTeq)--

https://youtu.be/tntJR-YmD8k

Very, very nice!

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (17-03-2016 20:24)
--

Stephen_Doonan thanks). Record when purchased VPC1 and started to get used to it.

@scherbakov.al:

Reviewing it quickly, I'm not sure that I understand the video that you posted. Which notes are from Pianoteq and which are from the real piano?

In the images, I do see the difference in the regularity of the beats. But I'm not sure that the regularity of the beats is the only difference:

1. Does the real piano note also have more beats--more beats per second-- in the middle partials, but have fewer beats on the upper partials than Pianoteq?

2. The amplitude of each beat, the degree to which each partial reduces to 0, seems to vary more in the real piano.

3. The low formant partials last longer on the real piano than on Pianoteq. For example, in your first image, the lowest three partials continue to throb in the left-hand image. In the right-hand image, their volume fades much faster. Particularly on the lowest partial.

Not trying to critique your critique. Just couldn't help noticing other differences. In any case, this kind of analysis, comparing notes from original instruments and from the results of the model, is very good. Thanks for posting these images. More spectral images from many people may be still better, assuming that they are from the same make and model of the piano?

Last edited by Jake Johnson (18-03-2016 05:28)

Pianoteq still young and does not have "wrinkles"

Have you tried this with the pianoteq piano slightly out of tune - say .25 or .3? I think comparisons would be better thus if comparing to acoustic instruments. I'm not sure if its possible to perfectly tune an acoustic piano, definitely not common.

Aidan wrote:

Pianoteq still young and does not have "wrinkles"

Have you tried this with the pianoteq piano slightly out of tune - say .25 or .3? I think comparisons would be better thus if comparing to acoustic instruments. I'm not sure if its possible to perfectly tune an acoustic piano, definitely not common.

And the exact tuning of each string, naturally, may also affect some of the things I listed above in comparing the two notes. However, I don't think it would affect the duration\continued throbbing of the lower partials.

Of course, the ideal situation would be to compare recordings of the actual piano used as the point of departure to the equivalent modeled notes, but only Modartt can do that. And I think I can understand the problem in trying to create a more exact duplication of notes. Some qualities of the notes may arise from small flaws in the instrument that are hard to identify, or a combination of flaws. The degree to which the silences are actually silent, for example, could arise from wear on strings, the metal used in the strings, the  exact tuning, and other hard-to-trace factors. My first thought would be that coding for these would be difficult, since any equation would tend to create regularity--as one variable changed, the resulting effect on the sound would change in direct proportion. Perhaps not, however, if the variables could operate within limits and\or if the correct differential equations could be determined, with some variables carrying more weight than others?

In any case, I do hope that more people will post more comparisons of notes. Regardless of what is found, new information will open up new areas for experimentation and for calibrating the model.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (18-03-2016 15:12)

Interesting remarks folks.

But I was thinking, a modern piano it's quite more close to perfection than early and vintage models from 120 years ago, as production tecnhics are better, more precise.
But pianoteq deals very well with the sounbd tone of vintage  pianos.

Last edited by Beto-Music (18-03-2016 15:22)

I wouldn't call 10 years of Pianoteq's development exactly "young", at all. 10 years is a huge amount of time, especially in computer world.

Last edited by EvilDragon (18-03-2016 16:31)
Hard work and guts!

Jake Johnson, video first note sounds of the piano, the second - Pianoteq. (And then repeated from the beginning). In the photo on the right Pianoteq. Yes, of course there is still plenty of differences. For example the volume, decay time, the number of strokes, strokes speed difference between low and high. But I would like to pay attention to the nature of the beat high overtones, its special structure. Maybe that's just the tone, which can be called a "wood metallicity", velvety, soft, fluffy. Perhaps each instrument is shown in this their own way. Most likely, even neighboring notes one tool behave differently (and each new day - otherwise). unisons Change setting changes the speed of the beat, but the character remains the same. "condition" just does not change. The program Izotope can select and listen to any partial (or group) from the spectrum. At the hearing seemed to be beating in certain top partly penetrates the beating of the lower part. Beating lower partial interact with the upper partial.
EvilDragon - 10 years in the history of the piano - everything is just beginning!

Yes increasing the unison detuning of Pianoteq may help. However, I also hear a kind of high pitched metallic resonance in the acoustic recording, which is completely absent in this Pianoteq recording.  As a pop music lover, I like that kind of sound in a piano. ;^) Is it possible to tweak the Pianoteq preset to produce those overtones?

Greg.

.. Continue to compare. Today in the cabin Steinway was able to record the sound of the piano model S. The sound is recorded using the recorder zoom H4n. Unfortunately I managed to record only one note D2. I made a video, which is available with some overtones in comparison.

https://youtu.be/f4pNwgGwyjs
(When downloading a video on YouTube appeared audio compression artifacts.)

attracted the attention of two features:
1. The nature of the overtones of the beat. On the spectrum of the piano visible uneven movement. In Pianoteq character beats plastic, with smooth appearance and damping. At the piano with a little "bounce". With an additional acceleration or deceleration in motion. The formula of each stroke amplitude has additional wiggle.
2. Groups of high overtones. In total there Pianoteq beating overtones in the group. The piano overtones behave more erratically to each other. At the piano is not there beats in formant. It's more like timbre flickering, but not beating. Beat phase adjacent overtones must be different. And perhaps a little more speed differ from each other.
It turns out that beats in the formant (formed by the coincidence of the phase of the beat overtones) can cause tingling. When playing the chords may occur strangeness tone. Perhaps beating upper overtones little slower.
But overall Pianoteq incredibly close to the sound of the piano.

(Damn translator. Hopefully, a little sense will remain after the transfer .. eh ..)

Last edited by scherbakov.al (20-03-2016 02:26)

Personally i prefer modeled.

Sampled pianos can sound good if they (a) have a sh*tload of samples for every single feature, and (b) use sample offsets, for example you can get pretty good sympathetic resonance by playing low volume note samples past the attack/decay part, with just a bit of lowpass filtering for good measure, and (c) clever -and well applied- filtering tricks for effects like lid angle, dampers touching the vibrating strings, etc etc.

Then again i'm far from being an expert, this is just my personal opinion

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

Thanks again for posting these comparisons. Some quick notes:

1. Are the pianos tuned slightly differently? I think I hear the Model C as tuned a little lower. If so, that will not affect the general points, but it does affect the tone of each section that was isolated.
2. I can't help but notice the energy between the partials in the real piano. The partials in the real piano are much more furry, particularly the lower partials--the spread of freqs between the partials have much, much more amplitude than the same freqs in the model. (In the model, there appears to be complete silence between the well-defined partials. The space in between is completely black. In the real piano, there is a lot of orange and ocher. I have to wonder how much economy is earned through the simplification in the model: Would reproducing the "fur" require so much computational time that polyphony would suffer? Would a trade-off be possible, so that there is more fur with only a little loss in polyphony? (Might this be a user-setting--a slider that moved between grain and high polyphony, so that a user wanting to play legato piece could get the most realism without worry?)
3. There is much more energy in the upper, upper partials in the model than in the real piano. This could be because the piano has strings that are older, so it may not be a problem with the model. Does affect the overall timbre of the note, however.

Jake Johnson, the energy between the partial - is noise while recording. Noises premises - ventilation, lighting, street noise of the recording device. So as I was a little increased the sound level - increased noise. Therefore, a piano between the partial orange.
If I placed the recorder another example closer to the strings and soundboard, it is possible to get more quantity and large volume of the upper part by the record.

The phases of the beats of the upper overtones contains very important information about the timbre to our ears. If the phases are the same, there is a sharp pain, tingling. If you are not the same - it is softer to the ear and the characteristics of the tone. What happens to the tone, if these multiples beats beats lower overtones? Maybe there is a relationship with the dynamics? Perhaps the nature of the match or mismatch of phases need to explore and work in more detail.

Last edited by scherbakov.al (20-03-2016 14:17)