Topic: Physically modeled pianos

Is Pianoteq the only physically modeled piano (with sound comparable with acoustic ones)?

Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

Re: Physically modeled pianos

There may be others, but I would be hesitant to respond to your question in the Pianoteq forum.  Just perform a search of physically modeled pianos, and see for yourself.  The more I work with Pianoteq, the more I am convinced that they've "got it right".

Cheers,

Joe

Roland V-Piano?  Physis Piano? The dead Pianoid? I know no other ...

How about 'Sound Magic' pianos (like the Blue Grand)? Their website seems to be down right now and there's very little information about them outside their own website. No idea how good they sound and they might make some sort of use of samples.

Last edited by Pianophile (12-11-2014 21:08)

I know only 2 physically modelled software pianos: Pianoteq and Pianoid.
There are also few hybrids (samples+modelling): True Pianos, Pianissimo, Supreme Pianos (sound magic).
And few hardware examples: Roland V-Piano, Physis Piano

Pianoteq 6 Pro (D4, K2, Blüthner, Model B, Grotrian, Ant.Petrof)
Studiologic SL88Grand, Steinberg UR22mkII

Roland is bringing its V-Piano technology into its lower price range.

It would be interesting to see some comments from owners of  V-Piano who ALSO run Pianoteq.
I think a few member here have both, but the last time I saw anything from them was before the current version of Pianoteq.
Physis were also quite new to the game then, but I don't recall whether anyone on this forum has one - the K4 seems quite affordable, even the K4-EX.

The V-Piano came out 3 years after Pianoteq was first released. I suspect it was at least inspired by Pianoteq. Physis is the other system I know of. They're both tied to hardware (you have to buy their controllers). There are also hybrid systems around. https://www.samplemodeling.com is supposed to be one of the best ones; they mostly do wind instruments and they do them very well from everything I've read and heard. It's empirical/mathematical-modelling (not ground-up physical-modelling) that is trained on recordings of real instruments. They don't do pianos but besides wind they do bowed string instruments. Their focus seems to be instruments where the player has control of the sound continually.

Phil Best has a youtube channel and he regularly demos new Pianoteq products. Interestingly he uses a V-Piano as a controller but seems to prefer the Pianoteq engine. All his videos (including his non-Ptq plug ones) use Pianoteq. Maybe it's worth contacting him privately to ask for his opinion on the differences. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChw5_u...8yzyTHLq1A

3/2 = 5

Thanks Steve, I hadn't read or seen anything of Phil Best for two or three years.
Some "Interesting" comments on that page about his choice of V-Piano for a "keyboard" and Pianoteq for playing music.

Roland offers their modeled pianos (and others of their so-called SuperNatural instruments and sounds) in their newer keyboards (such as the RD-800) and in their rack-mounted tone generator, the Integra-7.
Note, added later-- EvilDragon has responded a little later in the thread that Roland currently uses a hybrid approach for their "SuperNatural" instruments based on sampled sounds with added modeled or filtered convolutions or effects. Thanks, ED.

I have the Integra-7 (which I bought specifically for the modeled pianos and their string resonance), but PianoTeq's modeling is quite superior to Roland's in my opinion. I play a Yamaha CP5 digital piano, which has a couple beautifully sampled grand piano sounds (but without sympathetic string resonance modeling, so they sound rather flat and sterile compared to Roland's or PianoTeq's), several rack-mounted tone generators including the aforementioned Roland Integra-7, but in almost all cases (unless I simply don't feel like turning on the computer and want to quickly play using the digital-piano or rack hardware) I greatly prefer PianoTeq (I use version 5).

I also have an older GEM (GeneralMusic) RealPiano Expander, one of the first hardware tone generators to have modeled string resonance for piano, and it still sounds very good, but both it and Roland have been eclipsed by PianoTeq (IMHO).

PianoTeq's modeling is already "virtually perfect," and unlike sampled pianos (even those that include modeled string resonance) the users' ability to customize the various parameters that influence the piano model and the resulting sound in PianoTeq is extremely versatile and just amazing. 

Steve

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (10-02-2016 22:05)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Most modern sampled pianos have some kind of resonance modelling in addition to just playing back samples. I don't know about the CP5 (old model??). But ultimately physical modelling of the acoustic instrument tends to yield more satisfying results. I have not tried the top sample libraries (e.g., Ivory) but consensus seems to be that the very best sampled pianos sound closer to the real deal while modelled pianos are superior in terms of playability and expression. Personally I feel that modelling is where it's at and even if the sound is not as perfect as pre-recorded samples, modelling makes for better musical instruments. And given a bit more time physical modelling will come up trumps in all respects IMHO.

Modartt/Pianoteq is leading the field and I'm happy to support them all the way. Modartt is unique in their primary goal being to produce the best virtual piano they can, as opposed to maximising their profits. They are happy to do well enough to keep the project going and improving. They're a bunch of ambitious maths/sci/eng nerds (and I mean that in the nicest way possible) not driven by financial gain but by getting a job done. Can't say the same for the competition.

GEM had something in the 1990s but they've failed as a business. I considered buying their RealPiano module at the time but never did.

3/2 = 5

I'm not sure if the word modeled is being used right.

For me true modelling is the mathematical emulation of piano sound, and not just get a sample and try to apply filters on it to try distort, prolong, alter somehow. A true modeled piano do not depends of samples to have a note, but recreates a note mathematically.

So this talk of modeled piano that distort a recored note to create 3 ou 10 variations, it's purê bull...

Last edited by Beto-Music (10-02-2016 19:00)

Beto-Music wrote:

I'm not sure if the word modeled is being used right. ... So this talk of modeled piano that distort a recorded note to create 3 ou 10 variations, it's pure bull...

Not necessarily. Although I'm not sure of the technical details and implementation of any particular manufacturer (I'm thinking of the GEM RealPiano Expander sound module at the moment), a tone generator may be designed to respond to MIDI messages to trigger the sampled sounds, and in addition may track the simultaneous notes being depressed or sustained via MIDI in order to send that information to a secondary tone generator which adds a degree of modeled string-resonance audio to the original samples being played (triggered).

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (10-02-2016 21:34)
--

Beto-Music wrote:

I'm not sure if the word modeled is being used right.

For me true modelling is the mathematical emulation of piano sound, and not just get a sample and try to apply filters on it to try distort, prolong, alter somehow. A true modeled piano do not depends of samples to have a note, but recreates a note mathematically.

The model can be an abstract mathematical model that has the flexibility to reproduce the acoustic behaviour of physical instruments. Such a model seeks to capture all the essential characteristics of the sound source in as simple a way as possible without worrying about irrelevant details of how the sound was produced. If you're thinking of interpolating between samples and combining them in various ways to mimic resonance etc, then that's not what such models are about. (Although creating sympathetic resonance out of individual note samples will involve some kind of mathematical model, however crude.)

I think "sample modeling" was a poor choice of terminology for that approach. That model does not store any samples. It is trained on recordings of real instruments, and adjusts its internal parameters to best match the instruments' behaviour. It's a bit like teaching a neural network to speak by providing it with examples of people speaking. The network does not store recordings/samples of the speech but learns how to speak through training as it creates its own internal model for speech.

It's very much a valid approach, and there is no reason why it cannot be as authentic as a physical-modelling based scheme. And for wind instruments that can be much more complex than a piano (with rapidly changing chaotic turbulent flows), it is probably the only way to go. I suspect that even Pianoteq, after getting the physical model (PM) right, encodes the PM in a similarly abstract mathematical way in order to be able to be run in real-time on a PC. Dr J Chabassier's 2003 thesis talks about modelling the striking of a single note on a piano and how calculating one second of actual time in the simulation took 300 CPU hours on a supercomputer (I may remember the numbers wrong, but it's that kind of ballpark figure). So there is no way a full virtual piano is being modelled on your PC as you play Pianoteq. It's some mathematical distillation of the essence of the instrument/physical-model that you're interacting with.

Beto-Music wrote:

So this talk of modeled piano that distort a recored note to create 3 ou 10 variations, it's purê bull...

What are you referring to in the above statement? I cannot find a post on this thread that talks about anything like that.

Last edited by SteveLy (10-02-2016 22:10)
3/2 = 5

Roland's SuperNatural pianos aren't fully modelled. They use samples for the core sound, and then some convolution and other techniques for string resonance etc. But it's a hybrid approach, not fully modelled like Pianoteq's (or V-Piano's).

Hard work and guts!

In 2009 Yamaha put out three models of hardware digital pianos for stage use that have physically-modeled piano instruments. This was to compete with the Roland V-Piano. These included the Yamaha CP1, the CP5, and the CP50 which are still listed on the Yamaha website. But they have not been big sellers. Yamaha seems to have more financial success with entirely sample-based "workstation" digital pianos.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-...mode=model

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-...mode=model

Yamaha calls their virtual-modeled pianos "Spectral Component Modeling Technology". In addition to the purely digitally-modeled virtual piano instruments,  these keyboards also feature sample-based instruments for other sounds (organs, strings, DX7 and whatnot).

It's my understanding that the high-end model CP1 has an entirely physically-modeled piano, while the lower-priced models may employ a hybrid approach.

Dayton, Ohio, United States of America
macOS 10.14.6 Mojave • Apple MacBook Pro (2017), no Touch Bar • 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 2 core • 8GB RAM

EvilDragon wrote:

Roland's SuperNatural pianos aren't fully modelled. They use samples for the core sound, and then some convolution and other techniques for string resonance etc. But it's a hybrid approach, not fully modelled like Pianoteq's (or V-Piano's).

FWIW --

This issue has come up on the "PianoWorld" forum.

"SuperNatural" is a _marketing term_, not a technical term.  There are different "SuperNatural" tone generators across the Roland line.

"Jay Roland" (a Roland rep) says (post #2462582):

Sigh...

The new HP/LX series pianos are completely modelled. No samples. At all.

The reason for the same editor was explained PAGES back.  {a reference to a question about the "Piano Designer" feature -- CPC}

There's no conspiracy by me, Roland, or anyone else. And no, there was no miscommunication in a meeting.

We build great pianos. Our Piano Sound generation technology just took an almighty leap. Now we have the most advanced Piano sound generator available in a home digital piano.

Hopefully this can FINALLY finish the sampled vs modelled debate.

The New HP/LX Piano Sound engine contains no samples. It is completely modelled.

Jay

.      Charles

OK - those are home pianos. I was talking about SN pianos in Integra and JP-80. Not all aspects were modelled there.

Hard work and guts!

Pianoteq has " a pleasure in playing it " that no other has. I just dream of an hardware version

Last edited by SteveKK (11-02-2016 12:15)

From the Roland US website--
http://www.rolandus.com/blog/2013/06/04...ernatural/

What is SuperNatural?

Roland instruments with SuperNATURAL technology adds powerful sound modeling to the equation (to sampling). Each SuperNATURAL instrument— piano, violin, trumpet, etc.—has its own specialized sound engine because, just as the sounds of a piano, flute and timpani are very different, so are their related modeling needs. Each SuperNATURAL engine is based on pristine studio samples of the original instrument; however, that’s where the similarities to PCM-based (sample-based) gear end.

(image of INTEGRA-7 With SuperNATURAL Technology)

First, SuperNATURAL doesn’t use sample looping. We’ve also developed technology that creates models of the characteristics and responsive aspects of each instrument. The SuperNATURAL engine handles how those parameters react to performance dynamics and nuances from a controller such as a keyboard, just as they would in the original instrument. As a simple example, volume and brightness in SuperNATURAL instruments respond to nuances in playing force without any velocity switching and inherent stepping sounds between sample layers. SuperNATURAL goes much deeper. Looking at the orchestral strings scenario mentioned earlier, SuperNATURAL modeling translates the player’s natural use of playing styles such as legato and staccato into appropriate variations in bowing technique and associated sound. Further, use of a pedal or switch will seamlessly invoke tremolo or pizzicato styles.

--- end of passage from RolandUS.com ---

Note from me (Stephen Doonan)

I could not find (in an Internet search) a definitive answer about whether Roland's new LX and HP pianos use only modeling, or sample-plus-modeling to produce the sounds. The information I found merely stated that the LX and HP pianos (as of 2015-1026) use "the newest" or "most advanced" version of Roland's "SuperNatural" sound engine technology.

The Integra-7 rack-mounted tone generator I have, which uses the above mentioned "SuperNatural" engines to create the piano sounds (as well as other instruments) does not sound nearly as good or authentic (to my ears) as the PianoTeq modeled pianos (with no samples). Roland's V-Piano uses completely modeled sounds (no samples), but because I don't own one I can't make any comments or comparison between the V-Piano and PianoTeq, although it's difficult for me to believe that Roland's models could compete favorably with PianoTeq's. Perhaps someone else with experience on both could comment about or compare the two.

I much prefer PianoTeq's modeled pianos to Roland's "SuperNatural" ones.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (11-02-2016 17:46)
--

I'm fairly convinced that SuperNatural is just the marketing term Roland use to describe how they utilise samples in their sampled pianos. Most leading digital piano manufacturers have something similar and they each have their own marketing term for it. If you read between the lines and ignore the marketing fluff in the description of what SN does for the sound, it's pretty much the basics that are expected from a modern sampled piano: not having stepped dynamics (blending/interpolating between samples at different velocities rather than switching abruptly from one to the next), fixing the synthetic sounding slow and rapid decays that were more obvious in early sampled instruments, and adding resonance effects.

Rolands sound okay for sampled instruments, but so do Kawai (often better for the same $), Yamaha and even some of the better Casios. More expensive models even have design/tuning parameter settings (such as unison width, hammer hardness, position ...), but it's all done by applying some digital processing to the sampled sounds. Sure, it's done using mathematical algorithms, which could be called modelling of this or that aspect of the piano, but the marketing hype is usually over the top: to convince you that they have something magical that other manufacturers don't. It's BS. They all use pretty much the same tricks.

3/2 = 5

SteveLy wrote:

... the marketing hype is usually over the top: to convince you that they have something magical that other manufacturers don't. It's BS. They all use pretty much the same tricks.

It certainly seems that way. The marketing "information" seems more intended to obfuscate than to clarify.

After listening to quite a few demo videos of Roland's V-Piano (which uses only modeling, no sampling), it seems to me that PianoTeq offers as much or more in terms of quality of sound and user-configuration of the parameters affecting the sound than does the V-Piano, without having to buy the extremely expensive hardware. I think it might be appropriate to say that the most value-for-money approach would be to buy a MIDI keyboard for the action (there are so many relatively inexpensive MIDI keyboards available with very good, responsive key-action) and PIanoTeq for the sound.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (11-02-2016 18:53)
--

Actually, Roland's updated SuperNatural engine in their new LX/HP lineups claims to be 100% modeled and it sounds quite amazing!

Source @ about 1 minute in the video (lower your volume for the intro, it's loud): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9ULont8SbQ

I'd love to see Yamaha, Kawai, and other big companies get with the times soon also

Last edited by Khoa (12-02-2016 03:46)

If it's 100% modelled then why do they have V-piano and SN going as separate projects? Or they've given up on the V-piano (which hasn't had any major updates for many years afaik)? The guy in the video sounds like your typical skilled Aussie salesman who tells you anything you want to hear.

Have you played the piano?

Last edited by SteveLy (13-02-2016 07:10)
3/2 = 5

Note the wording in the Roland LX-17 marketing blurb, especially the word "conventional":

Uses the latest SuperNATURAL Piano Modeling technology instead of conventional sampling, for a far richer, more detailed piano sound

Reverse engineering the marketing lingo tells me they're using sampling just not "conventional sampling". Roland is the marketing king of electronic music gear. That's where most of their expenses go, not into R&D. They organise huge festivals and competitions and recruit the world's best musos to play and endorse their products (some good but some really bad yet successful thanks to their aggressive marketing strategies).

But that should not matter. You should play the instrument, compare it with what else is available for similar price and trust your ears not the manufacturer's/brand's marketing dept. If you like it, buy it, just don't get fooled by the hype.

Last edited by SteveLy (12-02-2016 06:00)
3/2 = 5

Modeled....
Hmmm, are analogue circuits that produce wave outputs NOT "modelling" sound production ?

The computer world was not always predominantly "digital".

Arguably Roland's SA was analogue "modelling" in the 80s - - their "marketing" copy
is SOME attempt to tie what they do now to what they did then, i.e. they are trying to
show continuity - evolving development if you like.

I could be interested in a rack module of the Physis piano engine, assuming there was an app
to access the settings. 
Right now the difference in street price between their K4 and K4-EX is
about $700, which might be OK.

SteveLy wrote:

Have you played the piano?

No, I haven't gotten the chance to try it out yet! One of these days I'll pay a visit to the local dealer to see if they have it in stock as it's still fairly new.

Anyway, the following was taken from Roland's website: http://www.roland.com/products/lx-17/

Press a key on most digital pianos and you’ll hear a recording of a piano note. But a SuperNATURAL Piano works differently, using the latest modeling technology to recreate, rather than replay, the sound. The unique, modeling process spans the entire sound creation process of a typical piano including the combination of notes played, their resonance and the way in which the piano’s many elements interact with each other. The result is a rich, complex sound - complete with overtones - that actually changes in response to the way you play; something impossible to achieve when a piano uses samples. It’s the difference between just listening back to a recording or actually being there yourself.

Sounds a lot like PIANOTEQ's modelling, doesn't it? (almost like they copied and pasted, even). Now, it could just be marketing lingo like you said, but I'm truly convinced that it isn't. We all know that Roland is capable of this technology for quite a while now, so it's reasonable to believe that they've added it to their latest and greatest lineup. The V-Piano sells for about $7-8k US, most of which is "early-adopter premium". However, 6 years has passed since that release, no longer "early" in any sense, maybe they finally realized that modelling is the future?

Whatever the case, I'm more than happy with PIANOTEQ in my set-up right now. I'll give Roland another 10 years to come up with the perfect modeled piano, then maybe I'll consider buying a new one (and 10 years to save up my pennies). And who knows, maybe Modartt will have made a physical piano by then

No, I don't think it's going to be anything like Pianoteq. The Owner's manual is silent about anything groundbreaking or new, it just says "Piano Sound: SuperNATURAL Piano Modeling" in the specs. You'd think they'd at least briefly highlight the advantages of the product if they truly had something special or new. Yeah, it does not just play back a sample, but processes several samples to create a sound and makes also some adjustments based on your settings. Any half decent sampled piano will do that. I admit that I am not speaking from experience with that particular model, but I believe I have seen enough Roland marketing BS to be sceptical of anything more than incremental improvement on the basic SN scheme you get with less expensive models. But really, no one should listen to some random opinionated person like myself on the Internet. You should play and listen to the piano yourself and make up your own mind.

3/2 = 5

SteveLy wrote:

But really, no one should listen to some random opinionated person like myself on the Internet. You should play and listen to the piano yourself and make up your own mind.

I haven't played or heard a V-Piano in person, but judging from demonstrations of it and its sound on the Internet, I think PianoTeq sounds better and is more diverse and user-configurable. I'm not sure that the sound of a V-Piano justifies its expense. If a person wants to pay as much as a nice grand piano to get an electronic piano "that sounds like a piano," they might be better advised to get a real piano. If they are looking instead for the convenience of a smaller, more portable piano keyboard that doesn't need to be tuned or so heavily maintained, then a much less expensive MIDI keyboard equipped with a good action, and PianoTeq, seems like a much better option.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (12-02-2016 13:13)
--

aandrmusic wrote:

Modeled....
Hmmm, are analogue circuits that produce wave outputs NOT "modelling" sound production ?

The computer world was not always predominantly "digital".

From my favourite old electronics engineering textbook (public domain copy from archive.org):

http://s6.postimg.org/oxoz4b1kt/millman_analog_computer_lres.jpg

Last edited by SteveLy (19-02-2016 12:27)
3/2 = 5

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

(...) I think PianoTeq sounds better (...)

It’s not a simple as that, I think. It’s tempting, I assume, to say that one sounds better than the other and be done with it, but a piano is such a complex thing, meaning so many different things to different people, and needing to be capable of so many different characters in different musical situations, that any simplification which declares one de facto superior to the other is either unfairly biased, regrettably ignorant (at least from a pianistic perspective), or kindly but foolishly loyal to the community here.

Roland and Modartt obviously arrive at entirely different results through modeling. To my ears however, the modeling work that Roland have been doing is every bit as impressive as what Modartt is being praised for. I have a V-Piano, and while certain aspects of its timbre and behaviour are flawed — but such is the case with Pianoteq as well — and while the complete neglect of the instrument by its developer is, considering its price, borderline criminal, the V-Piano is definitely capable of really good things and — more to the point — it can emulate a certain piano sound/personality which, for the time being, is still beyond the reach of Pianoteq, spectacular though that reach already may be.
And I hear that same thing in the new LX series (the sound of which is entirely modeled, by the way): very impressive piano modeling, that only a completely narrow-minded Pianoteq-fanatic can dismiss as unsatisfactory or inferior.

If the next version of Pianoteq would contain an instrument that sounded even vaguely like the LX, this forum would fall over itself praising the achievement. I’m sure of it. But when Roland does it, somehow the result is often dismissed as a mediocre effort of an also-ran … Very strange, I find.

It’s unlikely that you’ll ever find a greater lover and admirer of all things Pianoteq than me, but I have to say, I very much like what I’m hearing when listening to the LX. And I wish Pianoteq were capable of something like that as well (next to what it already can). What Roland has been very good at modeling convincingly for example (in my opinion anyway) — both in the V-Piano and even more so, it appears, in their new LX-engine — and which is something that Pianoteq still struggles with to some extent, is that pristine clarity, snappyness, immediacy, impactful power and finely chiseled definition of the timbre and the extremely well-judged energy in the attacks. Think and say what you like about the corporate giant, but those aspects of a piano’s sound are captured better in Roland’s models than in Pianoteq’s. At this point in time anyway.

Pianoteq has a great many strengths and provides a collection of wonderful piano emulations which are a true joy and an inspiration to play. No doubt about it. But honesty and a respect for good work — one has to be prepared (and able) to recognize it when one hears it of course — makes me praise Roland with the exact same words.

_

Last edited by Piet De Ridder (13-02-2016 10:22)

@Piet De Ridder
I was going to have a go at you for being so being so mean as to make one poster delete their post sharing their personal experience with the LX-17... Then your user name rang a bell: "P. De Ridder". You do some of the demo tracks for Pianoteq, so I presume you know what you're talking about more than most of the rest of us. Still, I think you could phrase things more diplomatically.

My personal bias against Roland is since having played their V-accordions.  The marketing hype gave me high expectations. The experience of playing the instruments, including the top expensive models, left me with disgust and in disbelief. Their advertising and marketing was extremely misleading and I believe I speak from experience not ignorance (but that's also what an ignorant person would say, which is why one should not trust what they read online or buy instruments without trying them first).

3/2 = 5

I wasn't informed about pianoid. It may be physically modeled, but sounds like a toy, despite their website clains the soud is indistinguishable froma real piano.

Steve... Piet... let's keepa a friendly atmosphere. I know you both are nice people.

May I propose the creation of a mp3 comparison, between pianoteq latest engine (Steinway B model) and Roland V-Piano and maybe LX

One test to judge the entire sound range (Bass, middle range and trebble) atacks, ressonances (string, pedals duplex scale)

And let people judge themselves.

If Supernatural technology do not allow to adjust hammer hardness, string lenght, or so likew pianoteq and V-piano do, it's a strong indicator it's still based on samples.

Last edited by Beto-Music (13-02-2016 18:59)

Beto-Music wrote:

I wasn't informed about pianoid. It may be physically modeled, but sounds like a toy, despite their website clains the soud is indistinguishable froma real piano.

Steve... Piet... let's keepa a friendly atmosphere. I know you both are nice people.

May I propose the creation of a mp3 comparison, between pianoteq latest engine (Steinway B model) and Roland V-Piano and maybe LX

One test to judge the entire sound range (Bass, middle range and trebble) atacks, ressonances (string, pedals duplex scale)

And let people judge themselves.

If Supernatural technology do not allow to adjust hammer hardness, string lenght, or so likew pianoteq and V-piano do, it's a strong indicator it's still based on samples.

I would have a hard time to judge.
If I am right I hear the sound of a grand in the LX piano which is something different from the model B. Something to consider is also the speaker system in the Roland which enhances the model and makes a huge difference when you hear the piano sitting in front of it and when you record it (I own a Roland myself so I have some experience with it). In the end it would just be an opinion based on my likes and dislikes.  .__.

Last edited by Chopin87 (13-02-2016 21:57)
"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

That Roland LX piano sounds nothing short of excellent. Very impressive.

Forgive me if I say some nonsense below.

But I think there is moddeling level 1, modelind level 2 and modeling level 3...

-Before modeling level 1 we may have modeling level zero, that would be the simplest technology used in some digital pianos, as looping and key release samples to simulate key interruptoion, some algorithms to pedal sustein or repedaling.  No big deal, but antway it atempts, in a simple way, to change, distort, prolong samples to fit it in a playable digital píano.

-And we have modeling level one, like the GEM Pre Mega, trying to recreating more velocity layers for notes in a way to try convince some people, and sympathetic ressonance effects like string ressonance, and pedal ressonance.

-The New Supernatural Roland series may have a modeling tone generator, good timbre. But it if it have no option to change hammer hardness, string length, soundboard impedance etc... it's a strong signal that this is not a full modelling of separated elements (hammer, string, soundboard, harp, cabinet) that makes the piano as we know.
  That's why I put it on modeling level 2, as I presume it's a physical modeling just trying to imitates very well the soundwave behavior and the changes involved while in interaction, and trying to simulates string ressonance, pedal resonance.

-Now pianoteq and V-piano have a modeling that emulates not just a core sound, but a resultant of many modeled separated elements that have as result the piano sound. That's why pianoteq and V-piano allows to change hammer, strings, soundbaord etc...

Can someone show me a proof Roland have one single new digital piano (with exception of V-piano and V-piano grand) that allows to change hammer and strings ???

Yamaha modeled series appears to have such controls.

Last edited by Beto-Music (14-02-2016 18:38)

Beto,

The LX-based pianos are extensively editable — down to single note level, if one must — with the built-in editor or via the Piano Designer app that's freely available for Android or iOS-devices.
Here 's a list of the available parameters: Lid, Key Off Noise, Hammer Noise, Duplex Scale, Full Scale String Resonance, Damper Resonance, Key Off Resonance, Cabinet Resonance, Soundboard Type, Damper Noise, Single Note Tuning, Single Note Volume, Single Note Character.

_

Piet De Ridder wrote:

Beto,

The LX-based pianos are extensively editable — down to single note level, if one must — with the built-in editor or via the Piano Designer app that's freely available for Android or iOS-devices.
Here 's a list of the available parameters: Lid, Key Off Noise, Hammer Noise, Duplex Scale, Full Scale String Resonance, Damper Resonance, Key Off Resonance, Cabinet Resonance, Soundboard Type, Damper Noise, Single Note Tuning, Single Note Volume, Single Note Character.

_

Hello,

I don't want to take a position or to compare Roland and Pianoteq, I haven't tried the LX serie, and I don't know whether it is full modeled or not...

But for you information, except Single note volume and Single note character, these are exactly all the same parameters available in my Roland HP-507.

Last edited by stamkorg (14-02-2016 20:52)

Piete, noises and resonances can be simulated withou need modeling engine able to computer elements like hammer, strings, soundboard.

It LX have not the V-piano features, like hammer hardness, string lenght, strike point, soundboard hardness... It's not V-piano technology.  Or at least I believe it's reasonable to conclude it.
It FX was V-piano technology refined, V-piano itself would be updated, as it allows update if I remamber well.

I'm not blaming Fx, as I never tried it. It's just not so modeled as pianoteq or V-piano.

Piete, have you tried Physis piano.

Yahama CP1 it's probably similar to V-piano somehow, since it have hammer hardness and strike point adjusts:   http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s...&gl=br

But cost 6000 USA $

stamkorg wrote:
Piet De Ridder wrote:

Beto,

_

Hello,

I don't want to take a position or to compare Roland and Pianoteq, I haven't tried the LX serie, and I don't know whether it is full modeled or not...

But for you information, except Single note volume and Single note character, these are exactly all the same parameters available in my Roland HP-507.

Last edited by Beto-Music (15-02-2016 17:21)

Based on what I’ve read and what I’ve heard people (who are supposed to know) say, the LX is every bit as much modeled as the V-Piano or Pianoteq.
Why they didn’t upgrade the V-Piano instead is a valid question — painfully valid, if you’re a V-Piano owner — but I’m guessing that maybe the new software won’t run on the V’s hardware. (Something not unfamiliar to people who’ve been using Apple computers for the past few decades.)

Look, I don’t know anything about all this under-the-hood stuff, and I’m not in the least interested either. Sampled or modeled, or some hybrid in between, … I couldn’t give a toss. Nor do I have any affection for Roland.
The only thing I know is that, when listening to the LX, I hear something which, in my opinion is very much deserving of our appreciation and respect. Praising Pianoteq on the one hand, and at the same time dismissing the LX as a failure, is, in my view, a dishonesty very much unbecoming to anyone who claims to have a genuine interest in virtual pianos.

_

Last edited by Piet De Ridder (15-02-2016 07:57)

I didn't said Roland FX pianos are not worth.  I did never put Roland down.

But why it have not all customizable adjusts of V-piano ?
V-piano it's physisc modelled, allows hammer and string adjusts, but i'm not fully sure if it use resumed equations of piano physiscs like pianoteq. It's not a critic, just something I was wondering.

Anyway let's think positively ... If there is more competition now, the logic conclusion is that each company (Roland, Modartt and Yamaha) will try harder to improve even further their technology.

Maybew Viscount's Physis piano try to improve something too... after all their first model didn't got much attention.  The physis piano manual:   

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/925875...tml?page=6    (adjust the mass of the piano hammer)

Maybe pianoteq could creat some few extra adjustable parameter for version Pro. After all the competition now will be harder.

Piet De Ridder wrote:

The only thing I know is that, when listening to the LX, I hear something which, in my opinion is very much deserving of our appreciation and respect. Praising Pianoteq on the one hand, and at the same time dismissing the LX as a failure, is, in my view, a dishonesty very much unbecoming to anyone who claims to have a genuine interest in virtual pianos.

_

Last edited by Beto-Music (15-02-2016 17:53)

I don't know how many companies committed to adding physical modelling to their intruments, but it seems to be they way everything is heading, whether fully modelled or hybrid. It seems to fall into two categories, either sold as software separate from an instrument, or built into the instrument.

If Modartt is anything to go by, physical modelling seems so much easier to update and advance.

I remember this talk  on physical modelling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUcNzPhZdwk

It all looks good from here.

Last edited by DonSmith (15-02-2016 21:06)

Roland's Supernatural Modelling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgAQxs3h_4E

That was the most honest sales pitch yet: basically it's spmewhere between sampling and physical modelling. Note how he called it "behaviour modelling" and not "physical modelling". That means modelling the aspects you cannot capture by sampling individual notes (resonance mainly).

3/2 = 5

There’s a 39-page thread on the Pianoworld forum about these new Roland pianos, in which the Roland rep repeatedly and unequivocally states that the pianosound of the LX-engine is fully modeled:

“(…) but this is a completely modelled sound engine. There are no samples on board at all for the piano sound generation. (…)” (pag. 3 of the thread).

Unless he had to retract this statement (and several similar ones) further down in the thread (I didn’t read the whole thing), I’m assuming the man knows what he’s talking about.

(Some of the current confusion may come from the fact that the term “supernatural” was introduced by Roland several years back to describe a sound generation technique which indeed was a combination of sampling and modelling.)

_

Piet De Ridder wrote:

There’s a 39-page thread on the Pianoworld forum about these new Roland pianos, in which the Roland rep repeatedly and unequivocally states that the pianosound of the LX-engine is fully modeled:

“(…) but this is a completely modelled sound engine. There are no samples on board at all for the piano sound generation. (…)” (pag. 3 of the thread).

Sure, but it's most likely using an empirical model where each individual note's samples are fitted to a generic formula that describes the sound as a mathematical function of hammer velocity and time (e.g., sum of overtones with time-varying amplitudes and frequencies). Such a function can be parametrised using a vastly smaller number of parameters (many orders of magnitude smaller) than the amount of data samples would take up. (This is because, except for the very short attack and release stages, the overtone amplitudes and frequencies are slowly and smoothly varying, and also because there are strong correlations between different overtones that can be exploited with a bit more clever maths/stats.) It's quite feasible that a gigabyte of samples could be reduced to a few or few 10s of kilobytes worth of floating-point numbers.

So indeed the samples need not be stored on the instrument because they always can be recovered by applying the mathematical formula that was fitted to match them at selected velocities. Once one has such mathematical description for how individual notes respond, the rest of the model will emulate more complex interaction effects, most notably sympathetic resonances, in the same way that it's been done on earlier SN piano models. So the LX-17 would not use a near complete physical model like Pianoteq or the V-Piano, and would still have a sampling-based approach at its core.

That this is the general approach behind this "fully modelled" instrument is strongly suggested by the fact that one cannot alter many aspects of the instrument's characteristics, like hammer hardness, length of strings, number of strings per note (like on the V-piano), just to name a few. In fact the LX-17 has no user tweakable model parameters beyond what the LX-15 had, and those parameters also have the exact same settings options on the two models.

Furthermore, the LX-17 manual, online description and marketing make no mention or give any detail of a physical model of the guts of the instrument, unlike the detailed info we got from Roland about the intricacies of the V-Piano's physical model when it was released. All the behavioural modelling aspects demoed in LX-17 sales videos have already been around in earlier models (although they are often presented as if it was the first digital piano ever to have them).

I'm not saying the LX-17 can't be an excellent piano, but it still smells very much like a sampling-based approach at its core with behaviour modelling on top regardless of the 'no samples on board' claim (which I don't doubt).

Last edited by SteveLy (16-02-2016 19:01)
3/2 = 5

Steve,

Philippe will no doubt correct me if I’m wrong, but as far as I know, what you’re describing is pretty much exactly how a new Pianoteq model starts: by sampling a (real) instrument, analyzing those samples and then somehow ‘translate’ that analysis into a set of data, algorithms or code, or whatever — forgive me for being this unscientific — that the Pianoteq software can work with.

What, I wonder, is the difference? And on what grounds do you describe one (Pianoteq, V-Piano) as using “a complete physical model”, and the other (LX) as “smelling very much like a sampling-based approach”?

_

Piet De Ridder wrote:

What, I wonder, is the difference? And on what grounds do you describe one (Pianoteq, V-Piano) as using “a complete physical model”, and the other (LX) as “smelling very much like a sampling-based approach”?

It would be great to hear from Philippe on how Modartt develop their models, but maybe he wouldn't want to give away too many trade secrets. If it was only done from recordings I assume they'd be a lot more sophisticated recordings than just individual note samples and capture the sound under a wide variety of realistic playing conditions. Then it's a much more complicated problem of fitting the computer model to the behaviour but can be done with clever optimisation and a lot of number crunching. But I'd think they'd take as much into account as possible, and collect as much real data about the instrument as possible, in as many ways as practicable, including actually measuring physical properties of various components more directly.

In reply to your second question, it's for reasons I've outlined in my previous post. Users have the exact same model parameters they already had access to in previous not "fully modelled" SN instruments. And the lack of any detail from Roland about the modelling. If they had something groundbreakingly new, or even something approaching the V-piano, they'd surely make a big song-and-dance about it and detail some new features of the model (and give the user more control than in previous models).

But the only thing I see Roland's reps show off in demos about the "new" modelling technology is sympathetic resonance, which has been around for yonks in DPs. Like this guy starting his spiel at 1min 19sec into the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B6QIH676OA&t=1m19s

(The shop owner then goes "Wow that's impressive!" - either he's playing along, or he's clueless.) And it's not just this rep, but they all do it: presenting nothing but long-implemented features as if they were new to these latest LX models.

Last edited by SteveLy (17-02-2016 00:07)
3/2 = 5

I'm not sur ewhat kind of modeled is used in LX series. The sound is good in the vidoes.

But why would they let hammer hardness (and others) out, if it was capable of such adjust ?  I can't understand this...  It's insane to remove such customizable function unless...

For me LX  it's not the same base of principle of modeling that is used in V-piano. It may be a excelente piano, Worth of good reviews...

What is the price of LX models ?
I bet it's not expansive as V-piano...  V-Piano probably require expansive hardware...

Last edited by Beto-Music (17-02-2016 01:14)

Beto-Music wrote:

V-Piano probably require expansive hardware...

Not really. V-Piano DSPs don't cost that much. Roland made it expensive to pay off years of R&D. Without that, I'd say a normal street price for V-Piano should be 2-3k.

Last edited by EvilDragon (17-02-2016 09:45)
Hard work and guts!

And it was almost abandon...
If LX 17 have the same technology it would have hammer hardness and string number adjustment, like V-piano had.

Maybe Roland let it and went ot a diferent physical modelling, cause was difficult to reach perfect timbre.

EvilDragon wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

V-Piano probably require expansive hardware...

Not really. V-Piano DSPs don't cost that much. Roland made it expensive to pay off years of R&D. Without that, I'd say a normal street price for V-Piano should be 2-3k.

Last edited by Beto-Music (17-02-2016 20:31)