Re: Exciting news: new Steinway B and version upgrade

If the singing overtones apply the model D and Bluethner. It will be WooW !!

with this version upgrade, do the "subtle refinements of the physical model" apply to all instruments or just the new Model B?  as well, is there any info on just what these subtle refinements are?
Thanks!

Last edited by _DJ_ (31-01-2016 00:45)
Matthieu 7:6

Just want to say the new Model B is certainly amazing but mostly want to post something to publicly say thank you Pianoteq - frankly astounding software made even better by the new piano.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

_DJ_ wrote:

with this version upgrade, do the "subtle refinements of the physical model" apply to all instruments or just the new Model B?

I'd very much doubt that all instruments would have received an upgrade. That would have delayed the release of the Model B. More likely in future releases.

Someone with spare time could upload D4 v5.4 vs v5.5 recordings, but my ears can't tell any difference.

3/2 = 5

All prior models didn't change at all, AFAIK.

Hard work and guts!

fulvia wrote:
Modellingoptimist wrote:

The B really is a nice extension of the model range!

You can even enhance clarity by seperating the right and left output channels completely. This works for all models, by the way.

Modellingoptimist, I was just wondering if you could expand a bit on this. Is this a new feature and how is it done?

It's not a new feature. The keyword is "Hard Pan". Choose the "Model B Daily" preset for example and open the "Sound Recording" panel. Then turn off the volume of output 2 for mic 1 and output 1 for mic 2.

I don't know how Philippe and his team decide on mic positions and what are the laws of Pianoteq but in the analog world mixing the left and right channel always results in phase cancellation...

formerly known as Notyetconvinced

Modellingoptimist wrote:
fulvia wrote:
Modellingoptimist wrote:

The B really is a nice extension of the model range!

You can even enhance clarity by seperating the right and left output channels completely. This works for all models, by the way.

Modellingoptimist, I was just wondering if you could expand a bit on this. Is this a new feature and how is it done?

It's not a new feature. The keyword is "Hard Pan". Choose the "Model B Daily" preset for example and open the "Sound Recording" panel. Then turn off the volume of output 2 for mic 1 and output 1 for mic 2.

I don't know how Philippe and his team decide on mic positions and what are the laws of Pianoteq but in the analog world mixing the left and right channel always results in phase cancellation...

What do you mean???

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

Chopin87 wrote:
Modellingoptimist wrote:

What do you mean???

I suspect what he means is if that if you have two pure tone sources in a perfect medium and two mics you will always get interference. But the real world is different. The waves usually lose coherence over distances much longer than several wavelengths because the medium itself is chaotic on all scales (and perturbed by the waves themselves). What that means in practical terms is that for high enough frequency sources, loudness/volume simply adds, their wave-properties (phase enhance/cancel) are suppressed. This is typically true for high audible frequencies, but not for low-mids (except in a large hall).

3/2 = 5

SteveLy wrote:
Chopin87 wrote:
Modellingoptimist wrote:

What do you mean???

I suspect what he means is if that if you have two pure tone sources in a perfect medium and two mics you will always get interference. But the real world is different. The waves usually lose coherence over distances much longer than several wavelengths because the medium itself is chaotic on all scales (and perturbed by the waves themselves). What that means in practical terms is that for high enough frequency sources, loudness/volume simply adds, their wave-properties (phase enhance/cancel) are suppressed. This is typically true for high audible frequencies, but not for low-mids (except in a large hall).

Can you please break it down to a simple conclusion transferred to the piano sound? Thanks!

Last edited by Modellingoptimist (31-01-2016 16:24)

Modellingoptimist wrote:
SteveLy wrote:
Chopin87 wrote:

What do you mean???

Can you please break it down to a simple conclusion transferred to the piano sound? Thanks!

If the distance betweeen the mics and the source is large enough only sound intensity at that mic location matters (intensity dropping off with distance). If the dstance is relatively small, then sound amplitude (intensity and phase) matters and you can get cancellations and/or enhancements in resulting sound intensity. (Technical terms: destructive vs constructive interference.)

In most large spaces there is so much sound bouncing around that the phases of the waves average out to what becomes just phase-less addition of intensity. But this is not normally so for low enough frequencies. So at a small venue you should stay away from the walls (otherwise you'll get all bass and little else).

Not sure if this answers your question. But look at any modern concert hall: they're designed to bounce sound around like crazy and effectively cancel any phase effects by the pseudo-random mixing of the sound waves.

I play piano in one of the worst acoustic environments possible: a 3m x 3m x 3m cubic room. I've been here for 3 years, but fortunately, I'm moving to greener acoustic pastures very soon.

Maybe someone else can explain why a perfect cube makes for a poor listening environment.

3/2 = 5

Thank you for your remarks, SteveLy!

But what do you say to the following statement which I hopefully translated correctly from this source?: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/Panoramaregler-Panpot.pdf

"Keep in mind: The panpots are not to be used with spaced stereo and near-coincident pair stereo technique since the "sensible" room and directional and offset in depth information, which are included in the time of arrival and phase differences, are destroyed by the electrical "crosstalk" of the panpots (Trading). This leads to cancellation of certain frequencies and comb filter effects become audible."

Modellingoptimist wrote:

Thank you for your remarks, SteveLy!

But what do you say to the following statement which I hopefully translated correctly from this source?: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/Panoramaregler-Panpot.pdf

My German is not good enough to understand that document but the basic principle for recording a sound source is: either capture the pure sound in a studio environment (that seeks to mimic the instrument suspended in space with constant pressure & temperature air going on for ever in space - no reflections...), or record it in an acoustically pleasing setting.

I suspect that Pianoteq seeks to imitate an instrument in an infinite acoustic space. The pure sound of the instrument without anything external. Then you can put that pure sound in a more familiar space with mics etc. Honestly, I don't know. But as a physicist with a keen interest in musical acoustics, that's how I'd try to go about it.

3/2 = 5

Modellingoptimist wrote:

"Keep in mind: The panpots are not to be used with spaced stereo and near-coincident pair stereo technique since the "sensible" room and directional and offset in depth information, which are included in the time of arrival and phase differences, are destroyed by the electrical "crosstalk" of the panpots (Trading). This leads to cancellation of certain frequencies and comb filter effects become audible."

It's gibberish. Maybe stuff got lost in translation, but if you are setting up a room with speakers, you need to consider placement of the speakers, but much more so, acoustically absorbent/reflective material on the walls. The best thing to do is experiment and see what works best. Unless you're doing a PhD or doing a 5+ digit $ project for a job, in which case model and optimise the whole thing on a computer before you try it out.

3/2 = 5

SteveLy wrote:
Modellingoptimist wrote:

It's gibberish. Maybe stuff got lost in translation, but if you are setting up a room with speakers, you need to consider placement of the speakers, but much more so, acoustically absorbent/reflective material on the walls. The best thing to do is experiment and see what works best. Unless you're doing a PhD or doing a 5+ digit $ project for a job, in which case model and optimise the whole thing on a computer before you try it out.

Woooo, we're already far off the topic ! If it's a problem, maybe all this can be shifted to a dedicated thread...

One last statement from the following article which promotes my initial statement: https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan08/...g_0108.htm

From the section "Spaced Stereo Techniques":

"What is more clearly problematic in certain situations is that if you don't pan the mics hard left/right you will get phase cancellation between the two signals, which can change the tonality of the sound dramatically."

Can we conclude that hard panning is at least never problematic if you want a proper sound image?

Last edited by Modellingoptimist (31-01-2016 18:58)

All you need is a third centre mic and and clever enough processing. But you're right, way off topic. Start new thread or let it be.

3/2 = 5

I think it's about time for a new great comparison of Pianoteq and Steinway, once again.

When model D was released Steve did these great comparisons with a real Steinway D and with a good Steinway D sampler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l4aAFD-moY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3kVlwjsNU

It would be very nice some similar vídeos, now comparing Steinway model B.
I bet the pianoteq model B would shine even more than the model D in the vídeo comparisons.

Last edited by Beto-Music (01-02-2016 16:41)

I heard, more than once,people comment that pianoteq connected to Kawai CA95 or CA97 (both have a small upright soundbard with transducer) sound amazing.

aandrmusic wrote:

Not that you asked ME, but I regard the trend toward soundboards excited by transducers as retrograde.
It LIMITS the possibilities to what physical pianos were, i.e. ONE soundboard "character".
Pianoteq allows changing of soundboard impedance and by implication size when string length is changed.
JMAO, etc.

Last edited by Beto-Music (01-02-2016 20:21)

Thanks for the Model B Grand Piano, Modartt!

I have a 12" keyboard-amp, which seems to have a bump in the higher mids to lower treble. It can sound a bit shrill sometimes and the new Model B sounds more moderately in that range *to my ears*. Alone that was worth it!

Anyone willing to compare the new ModelB to the Blüthner?
It seems you can tone down ModelB to the softness of the Blüthner but would that also work the other way?

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

Fleer wrote:

It seems you can tone down ModelB to the softness of the Blüthner but would that also work the other way?

They are very different sounding pianos. Even if you match the model parameters, the sounds are very different. In my small practice room, the Model B is my new favourite. The clarity is unmatched by any other model (though the K2 and U4 suit this environment well also). This is perhaps most apparent when playing block chords in the left hand: individual notes are more a lot more distinct (e.g., Chopin Op. 28 Prelude No. 4).

I'm moving to a bigger space soon, so it will be interesting to see how that affects the sound. I expect to get a lot more use out of the larger instruments like the D4 and Bluthner.

3/2 = 5

SteveLy wrote:
Fleer wrote:

They are very different sounding pianos. Even if you match the model parameters, the sounds are very different. In my small practice room, the Model B is my new favourite. The clarity is unmatched by any other model (though the K2 and U4 suit this environment well also). This is perhaps most apparent when playing block chords in the left hand: individual notes are more a lot more distinct (e.g., Chopin Op. 28 Prelude No. 4).

I'm moving to a bigger space soon, so it will be interesting to see how that affects the sound. I expect to get a lot more use out of the larger instruments like the D4 and Bluthner.

Cheers, Steve. And for pop ballads, which one would be preferable?

Fleer wrote:

Cheers, Steve. And for pop ballads, which one would be preferable?

Not an expert on pop ballads but the Model B is a great all-rounder. Maybe the YC5 being called "rock piano" is made for that sort of thing (e.g., Elton John prefers that type of instrument; can't get much more pop ballady than old Elton). But I'm plenty happy with the instruments I've already bought. The K2 is somewhat similar and with all the tweaks of the Std or Pro versions offer, you can customise the sound to a great extent.

I think D4, K2, Bluthner and Model B have you covered for all occasions as far as modern acoustic instruments go (I did spring for the U4 as well though). Also consider that you can get older models as well in the users' free-download area under "Legacy" instruments (K1, C3, M3). These are not as refined as later additions but may have a sound you're looking for. I also like Rhodes electrics, so I got the R2/W1 pack as well. The R1 (earlier Rhodes model) is available for free but the R2 is much better.

One great thing about Pianoteq is that you can try all the instruments before you buy. So really you should just sus them out and see what you like best.

3/2 = 5

Thank you, Steve. Got the R2/W1 with the Hohner bundle and the Model B as add-on for now. Happy camper

Fleer wrote:

Thank you, Steve. Got the R2/W1 with the Hohner bundle and the Model B as add-on for now. Happy camper

Nice one! I think the Model B and the R2 are my faves. Those two, combined with model settings and effects, cover just about all occasions.

3/2 = 5

People there are falling in love for pianoteq Stewinay model B:

http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic....p;p=319747

Last edited by Beto-Music (04-02-2016 03:04)

When I take care of the speed curve for Pianotek Kawai VPС1, I got an incredibly realistic feel to D4.  But I think these settings are not well suited to the new model B. Maybe I'm wrong and I need to just more engaged. But the more interesting new model behaves in the range of P-PP. Modartt I think it would be necessary in conjunction with the keyboard manufacturers to establish a correct speed curves. Or, alternatively, to make the speed editing using Bezier curves. This allows very easy to bend the curve as you like speed and very smooth.
I enjoy B)

Beto-Music wrote:

People in there are falling in love for pianoteq Stewinay model B:

http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic....p;p=319747

The two comparison mp3's in that thread are good. Thanks for posting the link, Beto Music.

SteveLy wrote:
Modellingoptimist wrote:
SteveLy wrote:

Somewhere there is some math on the acoustics of the great cathedrals.
Length and width are in some magic ratio, ceiling height matters less.
I read it decades ago and don't remember the source.

I can well imagine that a cube would be poor, even a square floor -  - parallel hard walls too close together are known to be BAD.
3m ?  THAT is a very small room.

aandrmusic wrote:

I can well imagine that a cube would be poor, even a square floor -  - parallel hard walls too close together are known to be BAD.
3m ?  THAT is a very small room.

Yeah, and that's the larger of two bedrooms in the house. Goes with the territory: relatively highly populated premium real estate area (mostly business/non-residential) close to the heart of Melbourne. But our rent's cheap because the owner's been generous. Unfortunately she died last year so we've got to move out.

3/2 = 5

_DJ_ wrote:

with this version upgrade, do the "subtle refinements of the physical model" apply to all instruments or just the new Model B?  as well, is there any info on just what these subtle refinements are?
Thanks!

I have the same question, but I will re-phrase it as;
How do the "subtle refinements of the physical model" NOT affect previous instruments ?
i.e. are the refinements "switched on" only for model B and later instruments ?

For now I am assuming that they are parameter changes that are not accessible to PTQ standard or PTQ PRO - and not accessible from the instrument side either, hence the need for another release.

aandrmusic wrote:

I have the same question, but I will re-phrase it as;
How do the "subtle refinements of the physical model" NOT affect previous instruments ?
i.e. are the refinements "switched on" only for model B and later instruments ?

Good question.

Short answer: yes.

More detailed answer: while refining the model, we still want Pianoteq to be able to reproduce exactly what it was doing before. This is important for the user (you want a given project to reproduce exactly what it was doing before) and for the developers/testers (being able to compare is very important). Although sometimes we cannot achieve this 100% (for some technical coding reason), we do achieve it at say 99.99%: Pianoteq 5 is still able to produce the sound of version 1 (you could test this by loading legacy versions). That brings of course some new questions, but you are not obliged to ask .

Backward compatibility is a very good thing. It would suck to get the Model B upgrade but not be able to use earlier instruments till/if-ever they're updated to work with the newer version of the software. The fact that Pianoteq v5 can still accommodate v1-4 instruments is fantastic. It's the way it should be; the way to design software properly (unfortunately no one remembered to tell Microsoft).

3/2 = 5

That Model B has an incredible clarity to it. Even the Blüthner sounds a bit blurry or muddy when compared IMHO.

It would be awesome if ALL models got a "use latest engine precision" button, so for old project compatibility that would be off by default, but user could enable it and ALL the pianos could be brought up to the latest iteration of the model.

Would that be hard to achieve, Philippe?

SteveLy wrote:

It's the way it should be; the way to design software properly (unfortunately no one remembered to tell Microsoft).

Hmmm, I still have some 20 years old programs running perfectly fine in W7. And they still work in W10, amazingly. So... perhaps you meant to say Apple instead of Microsoft, as Apple is notorious for their planned obsolence and breaking compatibility schemes much more than MS has ever done. At some point, though, I do think that it's good to push forward and shed some legacy (which is what happened with 16 bit programs in 64 bit environments for Windows - rightfully so, might I add.)

Last edited by EvilDragon (04-02-2016 21:26)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

It would be awesome if ALL models got a "use latest engine precision" button, so for old project compatibility that would be off by default, but user could enable it and ALL the pianos could be brought up to the latest iteration of the model.

Would that be hard to achieve, Philippe?

Yes, it is a lot of work, it cannot be automated because the new details in the model need to be tuned separately for each instrument. Each instrument has its own characteristics, and it is a bit like a tailor making a new dress: he has to adjust it for each person.

It might be worth it, though

Something to think about for Pianoteq 6, perhaps?

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

I still have some 20 years old programs running perfectly fine in W7. And they still work in W10, amazingly. So... perhaps you meant to say Apple instead of Microsoft

I was thinking mainly of Microsoft Office which is notorious for incompatibilities between different versions. Anyway, let's not go there... Sorry I mentioned it, should stick to topic.

3/2 = 5

Your ears can trick you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzo45hWXRWU

Is that possible this, or something similar to this, influence judment of digital pianos?

Uhhnnn... what model they should choose to start, Bluthner or model D?

EvilDragon wrote:

It might be worth it, though

Something to think about for Pianoteq 6, perhaps?

Apart from the clarity of the new Model B, I'm also very happy with the clarity of Philippe Guillaume's responses. This again proves that sheer openness in communication is paramount. Thank you, Mr Guillaume, your posts here have convinced me that Pianoteq is the way to go. I would also like to express my gratitude for the support I received from Mr Niclas Fogwall.

Last edited by Fleer (05-02-2016 04:04)

About compatibility and new engines. I'd vote for second. If you want get the sound as in v1 or v4, just download v1 or v4 and use it. I think latest version should always use the latest engine, features and tweaks. Model B currently is the most realistic model, previously  was Bluethner. But why we lost D4 and K2? YC4 is the worst model in my opinion, it's absolutely synthetic and non-realistic.

If D4 is model of Steinway D, I think Modartt should never stop upgrade to be closer and closer to Steinway. It's like TeX versions, that asymptotically go to pi constant

Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

Ross wrote:

... But why we lost D4 and K2?

We haven't lost it, it's still there! If you mean why weren't those models upgraded with the release of model B and v 5.5, well we would have had to wait a lot longer for the model B and several other improvements already implemented. I'd prefer to get the latest stuff when it's ready and not have to wait just so people don't complain that everything is not improved all at once. It's like getting one of your favourite movies finally released in full HD Blu-Ray and then complaining that all your other favourite films weren't transferred to Blu-Ray at the same time. Anyway, those kinds of across-the-board upgrades come with major releases. I'm sure Pianoteq 6.0 will deliver all the goods and then some in due course.

You need to appreciate how small this company is. It's five people! And just three of them are responsible for most of the hardcore maths modelling and programming. Just think of what this tiny group has achieved in contrast with what multinational multi-billion-$ corporations with virtually limitless manpower manage to put out.

And Modartt folk have academic careers/connections as well as working on Pianoteq. They publish scientific papers, go to conferences, engage with and contribute to the scientific community at large. They really are a magic team to have achieved so much already. You've just got to be a little more patient and realistic, and give them time to work their magic.

Last edited by SteveLy (06-02-2016 17:09)
3/2 = 5

Wow, Steve, didn't know that, just read up on them. Interesting people. I'm an academic myself, working on Bach's counterpoint as a personal project. Niclas was great helping me out with which instruments to choose. I guess I'll add Blüthner when 6.0 is ready. Meanwhile, I'm amazed at how Pianoteq sounds and plays.

After a quick test with the new model B, I'm quite impressed. So far the only thing that stands out to me as sounding somewhat synthetic is the 4th octave region (plus a bit more on either side). Not sure what it is precisely, but if I had to guess I would say it's something about the attack. It is especially pronounced playing staccato. Slight electric piano quality.

But as usual, very impressive work.

Beto-Music wrote:

ALL models, for v6.0.0. Including all add-ons. There's enough time

Hard work and guts!

When V6.0.0 arrives, there will be more advances and refinements of their modelling technology. So, would they rework all models again and again and again ?

They need to get a priority in some point. Rework all old models, or work to futher refine the modelling technology.

A alternative could be not try to get 99,99% of the original pianos when released, but refine even that this change the models somehow, and this would take lot less time (I presume). So there would be two versions available for each.

EvilDragon wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

ALL models, for v6.0.0. Including all add-ons. There's enough time

Last edited by Beto-Music (05-02-2016 17:59)

My guess - mostly because of the recent release of the new model - is that we will not see v6.0 for at least another year.  For me, this is not an issue.

The last thing I want is a release for the sake of a new number.

scorpio wrote:

My guess - mostly because of the recent release of the new model - is that we will not see v6.0 for at least another year.

Then I'll get the Blüthner as soon as it has received the Model B refinement treatment.
Meanwhile, how would you go about to make Model B darker or more mellow ?

Last edited by Fleer (05-02-2016 19:04)

Fleer wrote:

Then I'll get the Blüthner as soon as it has received the Model B refinement treatment.

Pianoteq Blüthner is a beautiful instrument.

Fleer wrote:

This has been addressed, in general terms for other instruments, in other parts of the forum.  Here is one: http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=3778

scorpio wrote:
Fleer wrote:

This has been addressed, in general terms for other instruments, in other parts of the forum.  Here is one: http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=3778

Cheers Scorpio, should have searched, still somewhat new here.