Topic: Seeking advice for recording a duet & Syncing 2 MIDI setups

Hello everyone.

Seeking advice for recording my friend who wants me to make a CD of him playing a duet with one of his students.

I have a setup with 2 computers, each with its own set of monitor speakers and of course each computer runs Pianoteq Stage.   I can bring in a 3rd computer if needed and MIDI them all together??? if that is necessary.

What I want to get at the end of the day is a recording that sounds like they each were playing their own separate grand piano, with the pianos side by side in a small hall or the like. 

So I'm assuming that I should set each computer to a different piano sound- maybe one to the D4 and the other to the K2 or what have you OR both to the same piano type but tweak the settings for each, such as having one set to a different mic set up, like AB on one and BA on the other and setting the condition, hammer noise, damper pedal volume of each piano differently, etc.

(Any ideas on which pair of piano sounds would be a good clean combination would also be helpful and would save me a lot of time experimenting).

And of course I know that the choice of instruments can be made "after the fact" when I render the audio output.  Please remember that I only have Pianoteq Stage, so I don't have the endless "tweaking" options that the Pro versions give. 

I just know that I can't use the exact same piano type and style because then it would sound either fake or like 4 hands on one piano and that's NOT what I want.

So..., the BIG QUESTION that I need the most help with is how do I sync their playing? 

My plan is to record them playing with the record function in Pianoteq, save the files as MIDI, then "render" them each to a separate WAV file using the two computers with 2 different piano types/settings/etc. and then take those 2 WAV files into an audio editor like Audacity and merge them into one sound file.  I guess what I'm describing is simply one track for each piano setup.

My thought about syncing them (you've probably figured out I have a low budget studio and very little experience with this...) is to have each person play repetitive notes numerous times to "sync up" with each other before they start playing ("ok guys each of you play staccato middle C's until you completely line up with eachother, then you can stop and when you're ready, play your duet") 

Pianoteq will record the quiet time before and after this "count in" and my plan was to use this idea to visually line up the two tracks when I go to render the final "merged" audio, cut that part out and just render it.

However, knowing that this may not be the most accurate or even "elegant" solution, if anybody has advice for me on how to get this done, please post it!!!

By the way, other than Pianoteq, the software I use is Open Source on Linux (Rosegarden, Muse, Audacity, etc.).  Each keyboard setup is simply the keyboard, each has its own computer running Pianoteq and each has its own set of speakers so they can hear themselves playing.   

The computers are not MIDI'd together but I think I can round up from what I already have a 3rd computer that can "listen" via MIDI to the other 2 computers as they are being played and maybe that is my best option?   

I just don't want one track with the blended MIDI performances that would bring me back to the "one piano with 4 hands" sound that I absolutely don't want. 

And of course, my budget is zero for additional gear and I have to do their recording on Saturday which is just a few days away! 

So ANY HELPFUL ADVICE & TIPS will be hugely appreciated!!!!

Thanks for your time,

Ed