Topic: Deactivation problem!!

Hello all. I changed my hard drive from an old computer that I sold that was activated with Pianoteq. 
I put that hard drive into a new Mac laptop and activated that one. The new computer crashed and I deactivated the Pianoteq thinking I could reactivate once I fixed it.

Turns out I cannot reactivate it.  Then I read in the FAQ that I couldn't reactivate.

Is there a way that Pianoteq can reactivate my laptop now that it is fixed?? This was my live rig and i have alot of work coming this week and i would hate to re-purchase because of a software flaw.

Why isn't it like iLok that you can activate and deactivate without a problem?

Please help!!!!

Dennis

Re: Deactivation problem!!

Dennis, please contact the support https://www.pianoteq.com/support_form

Thank you very much for the reply Philippe! I have sent an email over to support! I love the Pianoteq!!!!

Couldn't the licenses be set up so you can select any combination of three computers allowing you go back and fourth with the activation? That way you could log-on and use it wherever you have access and it will be licensed to the individual rather than the machine.

For example I could roam using software like Spotify, but it won't play on more than one device at a time. Its the same with Adobe products that are encouraging you to lease it on-line via the 'Cloud.'

Last edited by DonSmith (05-07-2015 11:32)

I agree with you DonSmith! That's a great idea!!

I give Pianoteq all the respect and 5 Stars for customer service!!! they resolved my issue literally within 1 hour!!!! I wish other companies would learn from this model!

Thank you again Pianoteq and you've just earned your another customer for life!!!!!!

Dennis

DonSmith wrote:

Couldn't the licenses be set up so you can select any combination of three computers allowing you go back and fourth with the activation? That way you could log-on and use it wherever you have access and it will be licensed to the individual rather than the machine.

For example I could roam using software like Spotify, but it won't play on more than one device at a time. Its the same with Adobe products that are encouraging you to lease it on-line via the 'Cloud.'

I don't quite understand your wish. Do you mean that you will, in your proposal, always need online access to be able to start Pianoteq on you computer? Sounds like a very bad idea to me. Please explain if I have misunderstood your idea.

m.tarenskeen wrote:

I don't quite understand your wish. Do you mean that you will, in your proposal, always need online access to be able to start Pianoteq on you computer? Sounds like a very bad idea to me. Please explain if I have misunderstood your idea.

Hi m.tarenskeen,
No. I was just referring to different ways companies license their software. In regards to Modartt, I was thinking you could log into your user area and manage your three computers from there. This way it will only work on three computers at any given time. Even if you had it loaded on five computers you could toggle which ones to use.
Take Spotify for example, I have it on many devices, but it stops working on my computer as soon as I press play on my phone. My account log-in travels with me. It knows from my login and set up if I'm allowed to use it simultaneously, or one device at a time. I'm playing from their servers so it must be managing this locally at some point.

I know Pianoteq isn't internet based, but I think you could still activate and deactivate this locally based on registering any three computers at any given time.

If it was the way you say, one could activate three computers, deactivate them on user area but go on using them, then activate (and deacrivate) three more and so on. And only in the case of a major update the trick would come to light.

Pianoteq Pro - Bechstein - Blüthner - Grotrian - K2 - Kremsegg 1 & 2 - Petrof - Steingraeber - Steinway B & D - YC5
Kawai CL35 & MP11

I like it, basically you would get 3 tokens and could use them anywhere on whatever configuration you put together or however you change one of them.
It would be possible for each owner to have a transfer utility (without busting everything wide open), that would remove the need to access Modartt's license management system for every transfer.

Personally i much prefer Renoise's licensing/activation system:

There is none. You paid for the software, you get to use it on any computer you want. (except your name is hard-coded into the program and appears on the splash screen and the about box)

Sure, there's more possiblity of the software being pirated, but to be honest i find only 3 activations is quite restrictive when you use several OS on the same computer.

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

delt wrote:

Sure, there's more possiblity of the software being pirated, but to be honest i find only 3 activations is quite restrictive when you use several OS on the same computer.

I can understand the appeal, but if the software is moved side endlessly sideways based on one purchase, it wouldn't bode well for future development, as Modartt wouldn't make any money.

It seems easy to think of a scenario where you meet your friends, or colleagues and says: "I've got this wonderful programme, here, check it out" Then give them a copy with the activation code. I remember being able to do this with anti-virus software, until they restricted the licences to about three computers. It's easy to think sort term at the expense of the future. Imagine if the current version was to be the last version.

The only issue I keep hearing people complain about is reactivating a deactivated computer.

Last edited by DonSmith (12-07-2015 06:08)

delt wrote:

Personally i much prefer Renoise's licensing/activation system:

There is none. You paid for the software, you get to use it on any computer you want. (except your name is hard-coded into the program and appears on the splash screen and the about box)

I have no problem with the licensing system. Even as an Open Source fan and Linux user I'm willing to pay a fare price for software if:
1. The quality is high
2. It's actively maintained and being improved contantly
3. There is good, friendly, personal customer support and questions are really answered and bugreports and feature requests are taken seriiously.
4. It runs on Linux  Winows, and OSX

PTQ does really good on all these points. Being able to use it on 3 machines is is a fare deal I think.