Topic: Acuna88 Review

Today I picked up my new keyboard, an Acuna88. While I was in the music shop, I played a few notes, (volume off), of a Yamaha NU1. The touch felt really very heavy and, dare I say, almost muddy. I could only just feel the escapement when playing the keys very lightly.

Now, I got my Acuna88 home and unboxed it. I played a few keys, silently and they also felt heavy. I hooked it up to PianoTEQ, chose the most "realistic" velocity curve within the Acuna88 for authentic piano touch as advised in the Acuna88 manual, and to my delight, found that the touch sensation on the Acuna88 is very similar to that if the feeling when playing the keys of the Yamaha NU1!

Also, the amount of control I am able to get from the Acuna88 is the best I have ever gotten out of a keyboard so far. Studiologic do state on their site that the TP100LR keybed as found in the Acuna88  enables the pianist to get a better dynamic control an in this case, it proves to be just the case. Added to this, the velocity continuity is much, much better than on my NUMA Nero. Looks like Studiologic having teamed up with Waldorf is a good thing!
CORRECTION:
Synthax audio UK, the UK supplier for Studiologic has reliably informed me that Waldorf ONLY supply the 'wibbly' sound engine for the Sledge. Waldorf do not in fact have a hand in anything else Studiologic.
Sorry for any confusion

To conclude, the Acuna88 is by far the best keyboard I have ever played, let alone, owned! I am so very pleased with it and look forward to knuckling down to playing again at last!

Last edited by sigasa (07-10-2012 21:48)

Re: Acuna88 Review

Hello Sigasa,

I have read your original thread, and (without commenting on the Acuna88, because I have zero experience with it) confirm with you that Pianoteq "comes alive" when the player feels at one with his keyboard.  While I happen to use an ancient Roland A-80 purchased new some twenty-two years ago, I really don't care that some people like its touch and others find it on the heavy side (for an electronic keyboard) -- what matters is that I instinctively know how its touch will feel, almost before I play the very next musical passage. 

The end result is the same for me that probably exists for you:  Using a keyboard that works for me, I am completely able to emote via the Pianoteq Blüthner. 

Here's wishing many happy days/months/years with your new keyboard.

Cheers,

Joe

Thank you Joe, very much appreciated.

here's a short demo

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...8_demo.mp3

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Sorry to be invasive... 
But you had aquired the PNO scam and placed it in a lder DP controller.

Now you have a new controller, Acuna88.

What do intent to do with the PNOscan now?

jedi playing:

http://article.wn.com/view/2011/03/09/Q...rd_Annual/

sigasa wrote:

here's a short demo

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Last edited by Beto-Music (03-10-2012 00:52)

Beto-Music wrote:

Sorry to be invasive... 
But you had aquired the PNO scam and placed it in a lder DP controller.

Now you have a new controller, Acuna88.

What do intent to do with the PNOscan now?

jedi playing:

http://article.wn.com/view/2011/03/09/Q...rd_Annual/

I'm selling the actual sensor strips but keeping the TUSB box to control my tri-piano-pedal

sigasa wrote:

here's a short demo

Kindest Regards,

Chris

I'm selling the sensor strips, but keeping the TUSB unit to control my Fatar triple pedal setup.

If you're interested, drop me a forum e-mail.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

CORRECTION:

Synthax audio UK, the UK supplier for Studiologic has reliably informed me that Waldorf ONLY supply the 'wibbly' sound engine for the Sledge. Waldorf do not in fact have a hand in anything else Studiologic.

Sorry for any confusion

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Sigasa,

I'm currently looking at the Acuna 88.  The question I have, is a basic one.  I contacted StudioLogic and they seem to indicate that the Acuna 88 CAN be powered via the USB port if you put it into a computer.  There is NO mention of this in the manual, or on any website.  I'm worried that even though this is Fatar that this information is not correct.  can you verity if you can power it straight from USB?  Thanks for the help!

webraider wrote:

Sigasa,

I'm currently looking at the Acuna 88.  The question I have, is a basic one.  I contacted StudioLogic and they seem to indicate that the Acuna 88 CAN be powered via the USB port if you put it into a computer.  There is NO mention of this in the manual, or on any website.  I'm worried that even though this is Fatar that this information is not correct.  can you verity if you can power it straight from USB?  Thanks for the help!

This website lets you view the keyboard 360:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/studiologic_ac...#bewertung

Its defiantly shows a USB connection.

I used to own the Acuna 88.

However I much prefer Casio's action, even after also owning the VPC1. I have been playing a loaned Casio CDP-120 and love the feel. I've ordered Casio PX5S and intend to review it along with Kef LS50WH speakers, Arcam FMJ A19 and Soundblaster X-FI HD for the Phono outputs.

1+ for the Casio action!

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Since English is not my native language, can you please confirm if I understood you correctly, that you like current PX models action better then VPC1? I don't have a chance to test the VPC1 but have a dream to be able to upgrade to it some day (based on the information I see on the Internet). I currently own a Casio PX150 and actually like it very much as a controller for Pianoteq. The only downside is it's short fulcrum, I really wish it be like the one on a real grand. Can you be so kind to give your opinion about comparison PX vs. VPC1 mechanics?

(I remember that thread of yours about the left-off mechanism on VPC1 and how you get rid of it - was kind of surprised a lot at first but later found it absolutely reasonable.)

AKM wrote:

Hi Chris,

Since English is not my native language, can you please confirm if I understood you correctly, that you like current PX models action better then VPC1? I don't have a chance to test the VPC1 but have a dream to be able to upgrade to it some day (based on the information I see on the Internet). I currently own a Casio PX150 and actually like it very much as a controller for Pianoteq. The only downside is it's short fulcrum, I really wish it be like the one on a real grand. Can you be so kind to give your opinion about comparison PX vs. VPC1 mechanics?

(I remember that thread of yours about the left-off mechanism on VPC1 and how you get rid of it - was kind of surprised a lot at first but later found it absolutely reasonable.)

Hi Andrei,

Compared to the VPC1, the Casio feels a lot more like a mechanism. When setup with an authentic velocity curve, correct volume, correct midi latency (timed for the hammer not the key), it is a joy to play. The consistency of velocity response is very good on the Casio and something to be note is the fact that there is hardly an friction on front key guides on the Casio either. In fact, out of all the boards I played, the Casio has the least front key guide friction of them all. The action on the Casio is noisier than that of the VPC1, but when volume is set realistically loud it is not so much of a problem (headphones help!). I understand exactly what you mean about the shortness of the keys of the Casio, but weighed against the feel, and good key return speed (adjustable electronically on the PX5S), I'm sold on the Casio. It's a lot lighter than the VPC1 as well. In fact, I demoed the KAWAI CA97 which I could have bought, but I wasn't impressed. It felt more spongey than the VPC1 and especially spongey compared to the Casio. At least give the Casio a demo

Thank you very much for the reply, very informative. About the return on Casio PX-150 - the repetitions is a some kind of a problem, not a deal breaker, but anyways, I'd wish it be faster, because I need to do a kind of more rubato for it. The triple sensor mechanism - what do you think about it? It's hard to compare for me to a 2 sensor one because the absence of such in my case. Again, though I wish the return be a little bit faster, the repetitions feels quite natural for me, third sensor helps I guess.

AKM wrote:

Thank you very much for the reply, very informative. About the return on Casio PX-150 - the repetitions is a some kind of a problem, not a deal breaker, but anyways, I'd wish it be faster, because I need to do a kind of more rubato for it. The triple sensor mechanism - what do you think about it? It's hard to compare for me to a 2 sensor one because the absence of such in my case. Again, though I wish the return be a little bit faster, the repetitions feels quite natural for me, third sensor helps I guess.

Hi Andrei,

I think the triple sensor should help with repetition. You do actually have 3 sensors on the PX-150. There are only 2 on the CDP-120. I'll update info when review the PX5S.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Yes the PX5S action is really quite good, but it doesn't have half pedal afaik, pity...