Topic: New Hohner Pianet T model for Pianoteq

Modartt just announced their new Hohner Collection, which includes a model of the Hohner Pianet T.

Do any users here have anything to say about the difference of the sound produced by the earlier Hohner Pianet N (produced 1965-1976) compared to the later Pianet T (produced 1977-1982)?

It is the earlier Pianet N which was used on so many classic recordings from the 60s and 70s. But this is not the same model that Pianoteq is modeling with the new Hohner Collection.

I'm no expert, but I have read that the later Hohner Pianet T is substantially different in its electro-mechanical mechanism and in the sound that it produces, compared to the Hohner Pianet N, which was produced from 1965 through 1976.

Here is a Wikipedia article on the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pianet

According to what I've read on Wikipedia and elsewhere, the earlier Pianet N-family models produce a brighter, more "barking" sound than the later Pianet T design.

The Wikipedia article states that the earlier Pianet N used "electrostatic pick-ups and leather and foam pads" while the later Pianet T used "electromagnetic pick-ups (like the Rhodes Piano) and silicone rubber pads". The article remarks "This resulted in a different sound [for the Pianet T], mellower than that of the early models [Pianet N-family]." and goes on to say, "While popular with semi-pro musicians... the Pianet T made a limited impact on major recording artists" compared to the earlier Pianet N.

If there is in fact a significant difference in the sound of the Pianet N versus the Pianet T, I would be more interested in a virtual model of the Pianet N, because this is the version that was actually used by the Zombies, the Beatles, and most significantly by Tony Banks of Genesis up through about 1976.

Last edited by Wheat Williams (23-04-2015 01:59)
Dayton, Ohio, United States of America
macOS 10.14.6 Mojave • Apple MacBook Pro (2017), no Touch Bar • 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 2 core • 8GB RAM

Re: New Hohner Pianet T model for Pianoteq

Had a Pianet T.

Plucked with sticky pads rather than percussed with hammers.

Once again great attention to details M team!!!

Another sale

Fresh clean sticky pads did have more pluck,  would like to hear more of that but still the overall tone - or lack of same - is well implemented

cheers M team

Last edited by eugene (23-04-2015 02:45)

Also less hammer noise would be better (ie none) and better pad adhesion noise upon key release

Also Pianet was all about sticky pad "release", not attack although more velocity would release more quickly. Again, pad condition is paramount. Guitars... you pluck them, restring them.

Pianets... you pluck them, repad them.

Waiting for the Pianet Of The Apes preset

Wow, this is fantastic!

The demos are absolutely superb too!

James
x

My mind says Kawai, but my heart says Nord.

Until I looked closely, I kept seeing "PLanet" versus "PIanet".

http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/f...anetst.htm

good tone as mentioned but get the physics more in line with the real deal

Gonna buy anyway hoping for updates

yeah the idea may have come from a differen T pianet

Great idea

Needs its own fresh new model though if it wants to be a Pianet

Partially why I do not own the Steelpans

Brilliant Mod minds none the less, bless you all

Please though developers, do get rid of the hammer noise. At least off the Model T

The Wurlie (Vintage reeds W1) model attenuates and/or dispenses with the hammer action noise, so should be an easy tweak for a 50 euro add-on

If i will pay that depends on an accurate model

Last edited by eugene (23-04-2015 04:08)

Note that the W1 should have hammer noise but doesn't

Oh the ironing

Couldn't you edit all your insights into one post? It's getting a bit out of hand

Hard work and guts!

Yes, the Pianet N sounds very different to the T, and I much prefer the N.  I'm sure there is some info and examples of both sounds here: http://www.hallofelectricpianos.co.uk/

I really like the Pianoteq Electra Piano demo songs, although I'm not intimately familiar with that instrument. According to that web site Led Zep' used it, and I do hear the similarities. Great stuff.

Greg.

It's for free for who already owned the clavinet Pack.

Modartt havesome a very nice disease sometimes... Santa Claus Syndrome.

eugene wrote:

Note that the W1 should have hammer noise but doesn't

Oh the ironing

Stream of consciousness, observations as they arrived to my mind

Thanks for policing thoughts as they unfold though ED

skip wrote:

I really like the Pianoteq Electra Piano demo songs, although I'm not intimately familiar with that instrument. According to that web site Led Zep' used it.

Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones used the Hohner Electra-piano in the recording studio for everything with Led Zeppelin that involved an electric piano sound. Examples are "Stairway to Heaven", "Misty Mountain Hop" and most famously "No Quarter", where he ran it through an intense tremolo effect.

However when Led Zeppelin performed live, John Paul Jones played those parts on a Fender Rhodes electric piano. This is because the Fender Rhodes was built to be durable enough for touring, whereas the Hohner Electra-piano was a home unit in a wood cabinet and Jones did not consider it suitable to take out of the recording studio.

Last edited by Wheat Williams (24-04-2015 04:19)
macOS 10.14.6 Mojave • Apple MacBook Pro (2017), no Touch Bar • 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 2 core • 8GB RAM

Tony Banks of Genesis used the earlier Hohner Pianet N extensively on the early Genesis albums, including "Trespass", "Nursery Cryme", "Foxtrot", "Genesis Plays Live", and "Selling England by the Pound". Live in concert, the Pianet N was used as its own sound in addition to being used to perform parts that were recorded on a real acoustic grand piano in the recording studio. Banks also often used the Pianet N with a guitar fuzz box effects pedal to produce a tone that he could use to play lead lines in parallel harmonies with lead guitarist Steve Hackett.

With the album "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway", and subsequent albums, Banks phased out the use of his Hohner Pianet N and replaced it with an RMI Electra-piano, which was not really an electric piano at all; it was a kind of all-transistor preset analog synthesizer. (The RMI company was a subsidiary of the Allen Organ company, known for their all-electronic church organs).

Wheat Williams,
Can you please point out where you hear a Pianet N on "Tresspass": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONMSJREZkt4  I've skipped all the way through it quickly, and I haven't been able to identify a Pianet N sound yet.  (haven't tried the other albums yet though) 

A good example, IMHO, of the Pianet N sound is "She's Not There", by The Zombies. Like a bright, more percussive Wurly.

Greg.

Listened to "Nursery Cryme" - I do think I can hear the Pianet N in that album.

Tried the demo of the Electria-Piano - straight away I can hear the nice warm buzz in the bass notes that I hear in Stairway To Heaven - very nice indeed, and it's amazing to be able to play such a rare instrument!  The sound they get in that song is my favourite Electra-Piano sound.

Greg.

Mossy wrote:

Until I looked closely, I kept seeing "PLanet" versus "PIanet".

Do you have Italian ancestors? "Pianeta" IS "planet" in Italian. I wonder if Hohner were inspired by the sound to make that pun... just as Eventide were later, after black holes became popular...

Wheat Williams wrote:

Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones used the Hohner Electra-piano in the recording studio ...

However when Led Zeppelin performed live, John Paul Jones played those parts on a Fender Rhodes electric piano.

I recollect a video of a live gig (Youtube?) where John Paul is performing Stairway on a cased keyboard: lo! an Electra-Piano. I don't think Wikipedia is correct here.

But I am more interested in why Modartt chose to do the Model T, rather than a Model N. Did Hohner have an input on this decision, perhaps?

hyper.real wrote:

But I am more interested in why Modartt chose to do the Model T, rather than a Model N. Did Hohner have an input on this decision, perhaps?

Those were the samples they got as a starting point for modeling.

Hard work and guts!

skip wrote:

Listened to "Nursery Cryme" - I do think I can hear the Pianet N in that album.

Tried the demo of the Electria-Piano - straight away I can hear the nice warm buzz in the bass notes that I hear in Stairway To Heaven - very nice indeed, and it's amazing to be able to play such a rare instrument!  The sound they get in that song is my favourite Electra-Piano sound.

Greg.

Listen to the intro of "The Return of the Giant Hogweed", you will hear it (HINT: it's played through a fuzzbox )

See it with your own eyes here   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P3YyIv7dJ0

Likewise, the keyboard solos in the middle of "The Musical Box" are all fuzzed Pianet N
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W35wtfc...page#t=326

hyper.real wrote:

Well, you can only model what you can get your hands on. I don't think they had access to a Pianet N before.

But I have one here at Feline HQ and I am hoping very soon to be able to help Modartt out on that score. Patience

feline1: Thanks, but I'm wondering whether you might have mis-read what I said - I said "I do think I can hear it on Nursery Cryme". ;^)

I do not yet hear it on Tresspass. Do you? I'm not doubting that they used it on that one too - I just can't hear it.  

Anyway, I'm not surprised that Genesis wasn't mentioned in the examples on Simon Beck's Hall of Electric Pianos - we're hearing very disguised versions of the Pianet IMHO. ;^)

Greg.

Yeah, I did sorta misread you there - but hey, everyone can watch the videos

I don't think Tony Banks was using it on Trespass, no - just Hammond organ (a spinet model), piano, and having a go on Trident Studio's mellotron. He got the Pianet and started playing it through a fuzzbox when their original guitarist Anthony Philips left.

feline1 wrote:

I don't think Tony Banks was using it on Trespass, no

In that case this wiki page appears to be in error: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pianet

Tony Banks of Genesis used one prominently on the group's first 4 albums, as a lead instrument through a homemade fuzz box and to simulate piano sounds onstage.

Maybe it just sounds too much like an electric guitar, because of the fuzz box.

Greg.

I used to play my friends Dads Pianet T in the mid/late 70's. PT have done the instrument proud. Also, I love the Electra Piano model. Never played a real one of those (I was a Rhodes man). +1 on a Pianet N !!

Last edited by Pianotrancer (04-05-2015 02:22)