Re: Ideas, suggestions, bug reports...

Feature request: set lid to an arbitrary angle, or completely remove it.

Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

You can already set the lid to an arbitrary angle. It's not just a switch between open or closed.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

You can already set the lid to an arbitrary angle.

No. Maximal angle is about 45 degrees.

Ross wrote:

Feature request: set lid to an arbitrary angle, or completely remove it.

Remove – why not, but I don't need arbitrary positions between the current 1.0 and 90 degrees. In general the priority should be a proper replication of the real instrument's normal features.

I'd rather like the fixed positions of the real instruments to be implemented.

formerly known as Notyetconvinced

I use an M-Audio Keystation 88-es controller, which doesn't have any assignable buttons on it, so I have tried mapping A/B layer switching to the modwheel.

This works for a while and then stops working and it's also very fiddly to use as Pianoteq will rapidly switch layers many times between the two extremes of travel of the modwheel. It can also be difficult to find a point where it has switched to the other layer many times I have to turn to my PC to watch whilst sweeping the modwheel, so I might as well just hit C on the computer keyboard. I suspect it stops responding after a while because it gets so many messages from the modwheel

It'd be great if it were possible for the layer switching to respond in a binary way to the modwheel, making it possible to flip between A and B from a keyboard. Would it work if you could select that you were using a continuous controller rather than a button and it interpreted values 0 to 63 as a single value to change to one layer and the remaining values to change to the other?

PTQ Std: Blüthner, K2, YC5, Steinway D, Kremsegg 2, Celeste, Hohner, Electric pianos
UbuntuStudio, SL88 Grand, Keystation 88es

1903 Bechstein Model 8, Yamaha CP-30

A small bug report:
(This has been mentioned in the forum before by at least two people some time ago in relation to the VPC-1, but maybe it got missed, so I thought to try reporting it in this nice thread...)

On receiving a note-off velocity value of 1 (and I think slightly higher values as well), Pianoteq (tested on Linux with 5.2.1, but this problem has been present for some time) does not in fact stop the corresponding note. At least with a VPC-1, this is easily reproducible by very slowly releasing a key. If the note was struck forcefully before, one can notice that no dampening whatsoever occurs on release in this case, i.e. there is no discernible difference to never releasing the key at all. (And yes, this does occasionally occur during normal playing as well.) The MIDI monitor confirms that a note-off with velocity 1 is the culprit.

While a workaround is to adjust the note-off velocity curve in Pianoteq, I still suspect this is not actually desired behavior.

Best,
Daniel

bandoneonista wrote:

On receiving a note-off velocity value of 1 (and I think slightly higher values as well), Pianoteq (tested on Linux with 5.2.1, but this problem has been present for some time) does not in fact stop the corresponding note

Daniel, what is you note-off velocity curve ? If I'm using a flat curve set to 1:

Note-Off Velocity = [64; 1]

Then the notes are indeed slightly dampered, you can hear it especially with the lowest notes. It is subtle, but I think your keyboard should be sending note-off with velocity 1 only when the key is released very very slowly.

In the "features corner":
- a mute button could help those who make comparative tests ;
- also for the tweakers, it would be fine to save (overwite) a velocity curve without the need to "save as"

Julien,

julien wrote:

Daniel, what is you note-off velocity curve ?

for me, I would reproducibly hit this behavior of Pianoteq at least once or twice during daily practise with either "Note-Off Velocity = [0, 100; 0, 127]" or "Note-Off Velocity = [1, 100; 0, 127]" (whereas it has never happened to me on an actual physical grand), so for obvious reasons I am using a different curve now. ("Note-Off Velocity = [0, 1, 5, 100; 0, 16, 32, 127]" seems to be completely safe.)

julien wrote:

If I'm using a flat curve set to 1:

Note-Off Velocity = [64; 1]

Then the notes are indeed slightly dampered, you can hear it especially with the lowest notes. It is subtle, but I think your keyboard should be sending note-off with velocity 1 only when the key is released very very slowly.

Yes, that is a great way to reproduce it for analysis. Indeed with the linear curves I mentioned above, intentionally reproducing it indeed requires a very slow and constant release of the keys, but as mentioned this does occur during actual playing (for me at least, but I actually only pinpointed it to the note-off setting because someone else mentioned it on the forum).

Is this result of velocity 1 intentional, then? It sound awfully like a stuck key...

Best,
Daniel

Here's a small one i've been meaning to add to this list but always forgot -- missing "Save" item from "velocity" popup menu:

When you're tweaking a velocity curve (or just want to make one quick change to several curves) it's kind of annoying to have to select "Save as...", then retype the exact name of the mxfp, then "yes" to overwrite existing mfxp each time.

/* edit */ oops, i didn't see stamkorg had already made the same feature request:

stamkorg wrote:

- also for the tweakers, it would be fine to save (overwite) a velocity curve without the need to "save as"

Last edited by delt (18-06-2015 12:51)
http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

Here's one that would be very useful to avoid duplicate midi mappings: add a "global midi channel" setting, and then add a "global" entry to the selection of 1-16/any on each mapping.

Rationale: i'm trying to layer two instances of pianoteq, and have each respond to certain controls on a different midi channel - to do this, i have to duplicate my midi mapping, and change the channel number on all the mappings that i want unique to each instance. It would be a lot nicer to be able to switch between channels with one setting, without having duplicates of the midi mapping setup.

This just happened while using Pianoteq (vst) in Renoise:

http://www.deimos.ca/miscjunk/pianoteq-renoise-crash.png

Could Modartt restore the ability hold down a selected note and drag it left to right in the Spectrum Profile Note Edit? It was feature was available in the previous version.

DonSmith wrote:

Could Modartt restore the ability hold down a selected note and drag it left to right in the Spectrum Profile Note Edit? It was feature was available in the previous version.

I don't see anything wrong (on MacOSX). Don't forget you have to select a note by double-clicking on the bottom control rail to be able to draw anything, either one harmonic at a time or by moving the mouse to draw a series of partials. Unselected notes are a lighter shade of yellow. A single click only displays the available harmonics set.

Last edited by Gilles (04-07-2015 22:35)

Delt: can you send us more informations about the crash @ https://www.pianoteq.com/support_form?direct ? Maybe there is a message in the renoise logs. Is it reproducible ? which preset were you using ?

DonSmith: this feature was a bit confusing to use -- but you can still use copy / paste to move the profile from one note to another ( ctrl-X / ctrl-V )

julien: it's not (apparently) reproducable, it just happened once randomly. I was using two instances of Pianoteq in Renoise, one with the D4 sound, and another with the Pleyel. If it happens again, i'll check the renoise log file and send it on the page you mentioned, before restarting renoise. Didn't think about that, sorry

Update: this is probably due to a bug in Renoise. The same crash warning happens consistently with a certain file in renoise. For more information, please see the following topic on the renoise message board:

http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topi...gin-linux/

Hello guys,
I don't know if this request was never previously mentioned ...

Among the features that I would like to see in the new release of Pianoteq there would be the implementation of a small section for adding a pad sound.

This section should provide a button on / off, a generation section also minimal for the timbre (some minimal  parameter like timbre n. 1-2-3 .. LP Filter, ADSR, Effect association, CC64 association on / off) .

the on/off status of this section should be saved along with the piano preset  ....

I forgot ... the sound generation could also be a "physical model type" (obviously a very simple version) so as not to overload the program size..

For all those who use Pianoteq live in areas not strictly classical, I think this is an remarkable improvement ...

What do you think about?

Ciao!!!

Last edited by keyrunner (06-07-2015 10:00)

I think you can use lots of other plugins to add a pad sound below Pianoteq. Keep Pianoteq focused on piano instruments, not pads!

Hard work and guts!

Sure EvilDragon, I also use layers with other programs now.

But for the use  in a very "easy" live context, to think you can  use only a keyboard connected to the tablet without other programs from having to load and manage not mind ...

I could only use Pianoteq stand-alone.

It is not important for me to have a lot of sounds to use as pads ... being able to create 3 or 4 would be more than sufficient and I don't think this features make the program less professional in the eyes of purists ..;)

I think that even "Ivory" use this feature

Sorry for my bad english...

Ciao!

I love the automatic MIDI history, something I've been wanting to create myself. Could you and an option for an infinite history length and a location for the MIDI files? MIDI data takes up so little space these days that there is no reason to ever delete any of it. And it's nice to know that everything that was ever played is in principle retrievable. I could sure use just having the last months worth....

Last edited by Budtz (07-07-2015 09:22)

Budtz wrote:

I love the automatic MIDI history, something I've been wanting to create myself. Could you and an option for an infinite history length and a location for the MIDI files? MIDI data takes up so little space these days that there is no reason to ever delete any of it. And it's nice to know that everything that was ever played is in principle retrievable. I could sure use just having the last months worth....

Big history is good until you try to find something in it. 10-20 entries is a sufficient amount if you want save a recording you did accidentally and recently. In fact this is why we need this tool, it's not a way to eliminate file saving/loading at all.

Here's a feature i'd really like to see: being able to run pianoteq headless (no UI mode) and then "connect" to it by running another pianoteq process to control it, change presets and settings etc.

delt wrote:

Here's a feature i'd really like to see: being able to run pianoteq headless (no UI mode) and then "connect" to it by running another pianoteq process to control it, change presets and settings etc.

Hi delt,

have you tried a normal xsession via SSH to your remote "Pianoteq-server"?
PTQ is started remote then and the GUI is rendered on your local PC. No remote desktop/GUI necessary for this.

delt wrote:

I was thinking about a "Essential Pianoteq" as a FXP reader with a GUI window made just with 16 "presets buttons" , MIDI setup and keyboard velocity calibration.
Stop.
Nothing else.

I was thinking more like, having a persistent/long-running "pianoteq --headless" process running independently of the graphics system (be it x11, wayland, or quartz) and then being able to pop up a UI window to control it from another pianoteq process, either on the same host or another host. You'd run something like "pianoteq --remote hostname:port" or just "pianoteq --remote hostname" to use the default port (which is to be arbitrarily chosen by Modartt if they implement this feature ) and the pianoteq GUI would pop up, controlling the --headless process.

The way i see it, the two straightforward approaches to this would be (1) something similar to VNC, where the --headless (ie. server) process sends pixel data to the --remote (client) process and the --remote process sends mouse and keyboard event data to the --headless session and (2) where only the actual settings would be exchanged between the two processes, in some newly invented format (which, again, is to be arbitrarily invented by Modartt if they implement this feature ) The (1) approach would be less efficient in terms of bandwidth use, but would be more tolerant with version mismatches.

Anyway, just a thought... This would also solve the problem (or improve/simplify the situation) of having pianoteq running on a PC or mac, with the interface showing up on a tablet, which a few people have mentioned recently.

I just like to mention, that something between your idea and simple X forwarding exists. With xpra you can attach and reattach a persistent running Pianoteq-Window, that is running on a GUI-less "server".

I used the arrow keys instead of the mouse to tweak the parameters. This is possible by clicking the parameter you want to tweak. I expect the value to increase by clicking the up key and decrease by clicking the down key but the opposite is the case.

Thereby I had the idea that the up/down keys could be used to skip through the parameters of the respective panel once you clicked one parameter and the left/right keys to change the values. There had to be found a special solution for the spectrum profile.

Last edited by Modellingoptimist (14-09-2015 17:09)
formerly known as Notyetconvinced

groovy wrote:

I just like to mention, that something between your idea and simple X forwarding exists. With xpra you can attach and reattach a persistent running Pianoteq-Window, that is running on a GUI-less "server".

wow, i didn't know about xpra, thanks for the input!!!

...except (just after a rough tryout through xpra) pianoteq outputs sound only if tis window is showing on the actual screen. I'll have to look into more detail if i can get it to discard unneeded X11 events.

delt wrote:

wow, i didn't know about xpra, thanks for the input!!!

I also just have discovered Xpra, it seems to be really useful!

delt wrote:

...except (just after a rough tryout through xpra) pianoteq outputs sound only if tis window is showing on the actual screen. I'll have to look into more detail if i can get it to discard unneeded X11 events.

Hm, seems not to be a general problem, it is working here. Maybe you like to reproduce.

My test-scenario:

* A netbook with Debian, Pianoteq and xpra installed and my midi-keyboard connected.
* Netbooks Desktop-GUI is shutdown ('/etc/init.d/kdm stop' here)
* From another workstation with a Desktop-GUI and xpra installed I "fetch" the Pianoteq-window with:
* xpra start ssh:1.2.3.4:100 --start-child=/home/alice/Pianoteq
* result: I can play piano :-)
* I disrupt/detach the session on my workstation with Ctrl-c and keep on playing.
* I can re-attach the Pianoteq-window again from my workstation with: xpra attach ssh:1.2.3.4:100

PS: Audio-Output in Pianoteq is driven by ALSA direct to hardware.

Last edited by groovy (17-09-2015 08:22)