Topic: Pianoteq keyboard display

I sometimes use Pianoteq to learn a piece by playing a midi file and watching the Pianoteq keyboard.   However, although nicely resembles a real keyboard, its actually not that easy to see which keys have been pressed, particularly the black keys.   It would be nice to have a different mode of keyboard display in which the hit keys are shown in a different color or some other way to make it easy to tell what key is being played.

Re: Pianoteq keyboard display

Use the step by step mode (section 2.8.4 in the english manual). Struck keys are highlighted in bright red.

If you are happy to look beyond Pianoteq there is a piece of software called Synthesia which does exactly what you are after. It's the best I've seen yet in helping to show how the piece from a MIDI file is played on a keyboard.

http://www.synthesiagame.com/

Tiger22 wrote:

If you are happy to look beyond Pianoteq there is a piece of software called Synthesia which does exactly what you are after. It's the best I've seen yet in helping to show how the piece from a MIDI file is played on a keyboard.

This software does a good job, but the only piano sound I can get is the washout sounding pianos that comes with the software. It would be good if I could get it to utilise the Pianoteq software. Maybe it could, but I don't know how to.

Thanks Gilles for the tip about step mode which I was not aware of.   Just what I need.

You can send the ouput from Synthesia to different outputs, including a MIDI output. What I have done is install LoopBe1 (a free virtual MIDI interface). I send the Syntheisa output only to the LoopBe1 interface and let Pianoteq listen on all MIDI interfaces, including LoopBe1. Then you hear everything coming out of Synthesia through Pianoteq instruments.

DonSmith wrote:
Tiger22 wrote:

This software does a good job, but the only piano sound I can get is the washout sounding pianos that comes with the software. It would be good if I could get it to utilise the Pianoteq software. Maybe it could, but I don't know how to.

Is there perhaps also a VST plug-in with this functionality??

Because I always use Reaper for all my music-activities, like playing Pianoteq......

With Reaper you do not need a separate loopbe or so, as you can freely distribute your incoming midi "multi-client"so to speak.

I don't understand: a VST plugin is typically a virtual instrument (or effect), like Pianoteq. Having a Synthesia software which supports the VST interface (it doesn't.... Then loopbe1 is required) would make it a VST host and not a VST plugins, the VST plugin would be the virtual instrument of your choice (Pianoteq fir example).

Last edited by floyer (04-04-2015 12:33)

Tiger22 wrote:

You can send the ouput from Synthesia to different outputs, including a MIDI output. What I have done is install LoopBe1 (a free virtual MIDI interface). I send the Syntheisa output only to the LoopBe1 interface and let Pianoteq listen on all MIDI interfaces, including LoopBe1. Then you hear everything coming out of Synthesia through Pianoteq instruments.

DonSmith wrote:
Tiger22 wrote:

Thanks for this. My Fatar VMK-188 is only connected via USB. I don't have a MIDI out put fitted to my computer.