Topic: Classical music Sound - Looking for advices

Hi!
I would like to know if you have particular setting preferences for classical music.
I bought Pianoteq 5 Stage and im using a Roland fp4 plugged directly by usb midi in my laptop.

here is what it sounds like

https://soundcloud.com/doyeon-kim

I think it sounds realistic, but lacks a little of brightness. And the sound is not loud enought, do you have the same problem?
Is a external soundcard can significally improve the audio level?

Thanks

Re: Classical music Sound - Looking for advices

In Stage version you can adjust brightness via editing velocity curve and EQ. And, of course, fist step is choosing a preset.

Volume controlled via "volume slider". Volume of wav file should be adjusted in an external software (like Audacity): it's called "normalization", I usually normalize to -1 dB.

External soundcard don't change sound too much. Most likely you almost will not notice the difference. Note also, that sound card affects only real time playing: it doesn't used when you export wav file from Pianoteq.

Last edited by Ross (27-03-2015 05:35)
Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

Sound is not loud enough is the most common limitation due to your piano action hammer and  127 velocities in Pianoteq. There are several tricks to compensate but you watch this video based on VSL Vienna Imperial, hmm, how can I make Pianoteq sound connected as VSL?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7DWBzoNscM

kdoyeon wrote:

Hi!
I would like to know if you have particular setting preferences for classical music.
I bought Pianoteq 5 Stage and im using a Roland fp4 plugged directly by usb midi in my laptop.

here is what it sounds like

https://soundcloud.com/doyeon-kim

I think it sounds realistic, but lacks a little of brightness. And the sound is not loud enought, do you have the same problem?
Is a external soundcard can significally improve the audio level?

Thanks

Ross is right for the normalization.
If it is not bright enough for you, you could try another EQ setting first. You can also try to lighten the touch sensitivity on your FP4.
IMO, the sound is very (!) nice, as is your playing. What preset did you use for this recording?

PS: I heard your recording a second time, maybe a little more reverb could help also. But to my ears the sound is good. I am curious about others opinions

Last edited by stamkorg (27-03-2015 18:24)

Thank you for your replies!

i did edit very slightly my velocity curve: 0,0; 42,42; 94,85; 111,102; 127,127.

Volume is at about 8db, i turned off delay and reverb, and effects on clean studio.
I did that because i thought reverb was hiding the brightness...
Everything else is by default.

I think i really need an external soundcard because there's a little difference between what i hear when i play and the actual recording but it's very subtle.

I personally don't recommend to disable reverb, because reverberation makes sound more realistic. But it can be disabled if you use speakers and your room provide good acoustic -- that is acceptable if you use pianoteq for realtime playing, not recording. Here is good notice from official manual:

Moreover, it is worth mentioning that bypassing reverberation in Pianoteq does not have
the same effect as bypassing reverberation in a sample-based instrument. In the latter
case, unless recording was made in an anechoic chamber, there is a natural
reverberation present in the recorded samples which may not be perceived as
reverberation because the note release cuts the reverb tail itself, whereas in Pianoteq,
there is no reverberation whatsoever when you switch it off. In that case, the sound
loses an important part of its natural quality and may sound strange or synthetic,
particularly with headphones, because in the real world we never hear sounds without
some reverberation. Hence, we recommend bypassing reverberation only when using an
external — or natural — reverberation.

I also disagree that delay and reverb hide the brightness: you should play with the settings and get different results. I recommend you experiment with the delay effect (increase mix and adjust delay time): you can make sound much more bright.

When I used Stage version, I mainly adjust brightness via velocity curve: "slow" curve for bright sound, "fast" for mellow. This is because main effect of velocity (besides volume) is the hammers hardness. Harder = brighter.

Of course, you can also increase high frequencies with EQ, but EQ in Pianoteq works in the pre-processing stage (not post-processing), so it noticeably change the piano timbre that maybe undesirable.

Volume is at about 8db

Hmm... With this big value you can easily get clipping and distortion. I recommend use the volume control of your OS/amplifier/speakers.

Last edited by Ross (27-03-2015 21:20)
Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

kdoyeon wrote:

Thank you for your replies!

i did edit very slightly my velocity curve: 0,0; 42,42; 94,85; 111,102; 127,127.

Volume is at about 8db, i turned off delay and reverb, and effects on clean studio.
I did that because i thought reverb was hiding the brightness...
Everything else is by default.

I think i really need an external soundcard because there's a little difference between what i hear when i play and the actual recording but it's very subtle.

A good soundcard is always better.
If you have the midi file of your performance, try to export it thru a recording preset. These presets have a reduced dynamic that gives a compressor-like effect. That makes the sound more present. They have also a good level of reverb, needed on a recording. I agree also with the fact that 8db is way too much. The best way to have headroom, some kind of reserve on the sound, is to set the volume under 0, for example -5 or -6 db, and increase on the amplification system.

ok i was planning to repost the tracks with proper settings, by the way can anyone critics what i play because it's been ages that i stopped having a teacher and i have no idea how i can improve my playing... thank you for all the tips!