Topic: CPU power and latency

I'm using a rather old desktop PC (dual-core E7400 @ 2.8 GHz) to run Pianoteq. It runs fine and gets polyphony up to 100 or so. Using ASIO with buffer size of 64 samples (1.3 ms) and external USB audio interface. It's playable, but it still doesn't feel quite as snappy as when I use my DP's internal sounds.

My question is: does increased CPU power have any effect on latency, or does Pianoteq always generate its sound at the same speed?

Bonus questions:
- will running Pianoteq inside Cubase, with inserts, effects, EQ etc, increase latency (compared to standalone)?
- what is the time in milliseconds taken by Pianoteq from receiving a Note-On midi event to starting playback of that note?

Thanks!

Re: CPU power and latency

Good questions. FWIW I tried a quick-test for the overall latency of my pianoteq-subnotebook. The timespan between the klick-noise of a fingernail hitting a key and the sound from the loudspeaker is around 37 ms as you can see in the picture. This is the most pessimistic scenario, because a midi-note is normally not triggered, when the finger touches the surface, but later, when the key is depressed and reaches the second (or third) keycontact with a specific velocity.

But 37 ms is higher, than I expected, taking into account, that my normal settings are 48000 Hz with buffersize of 64 samples (1.3 ms), which means 2.6 ms latency alone for passing the audio buffer of the onboard PCI-soundcard.

The remaining unknown variables are the latency for processing a tone and the MIDI-signalling via USB from my Kawai to the subnotebook (Celeron N2930).

As far as I remember, real pianos are similar "slow" with around 30 ms.

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/150210/b3btsonj.png

I also tested this and found out that with latest release of ASIO4all you can get a latency of around 10-12ms. The only Thing > my System is new and "clean" :-).

Alexander

Thanks for your reply, groovy. Could you by any chance repeat the test using your Kawai's internal sounds, to compare?

Compared with my CA95 I can state that in the higher range you can hear a "delay", but playing a short period of time you get used to the little delay in my opinion.

I have to Point out, that with my Core i7 machine and Asio4all I can't hear any delay and can Combine both sounds to one suberb "mix Sound".

Alexander

snowjoke wrote:

Thanks for your reply, groovy. Could you by any chance repeat the test using your Kawai's internal sounds, to compare?

Hello snowjoke,

I tested it a long time ago and got 22 ms from a Kawai ES3 alone, see:

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic...8593#p8593

galuwen wrote:

I also tested this and found out that with latest release of ASIO4all you can get a latency of around 10-12ms. The only Thing > my System is new and "clean" :-).

Alexander

Hi,

hm, I suspect this a little, because I have not seen such al low latency in the forum with that microphone-test before. I used Pianoteq 5.1.4, D4 (daily practise), no effects, the 3rd upper c-note on an 88-keyboard. - You do not mean "10-12 ms" in PTQ's preferences, right?

The remaining unknown variables are the latency for processing a tone and the MIDI-signalling via USB from my Kawai to the subnotebook (Celeron N2930).

I have an estimation for the "unknown variables" eventually. I don't know, how to measure it exactly, but I compared the note-on-latency of my USB-keyboard with the fastest midi-keyboard I have: the virtual-keyboard inside pianoteq clicked with an USB-mouse!

From the noise of the mouseclick to the sound from the speaker I measured ~19 ms (average of five clicks). Example:

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/150218/5mk96bm6.png

And then I repeated the same with my Kawai ES3 connected to the subnotebook with an USB-cable. The average response from 5 hits (forte) was ~35 ms. Example:

http://fs2.directupload.net/images/150218/7mdredfl.png

So triggering a midi note-on from my USB-keyboard lasts ~16 ms longer than triggering a note from the virtual-keyboard with my USB-mouse (on my system).

EDIT: Assumed that my overall latency is ~35 ms and ~19 ms  is the best overall latency I can achieve with the virtual-keyboard, then ~16 ms  are needed just to produce the midi-on-event in pianoteq with my real USB-keyboard.

Why is the virtual keyboard ~16 ms faster? Using the real keyboard the (USB) midi-signal has to pass the snd_usb_audio kernelmodule ("driver") on the notebook. Plus the mouse button has a shorter contact-distance than a key. Plus unknown initial latency for midi-note-processing inside the Kawai.

The only parameter that could be influenced is the performance of the snd_usb_audio "driver". With older 2.6x-linuxkernels there was an option 'nrpacks' for example, that could be reduced from 8 to 1, and this shorter chunks improved USB-latency. In newer kernels, like my 3.16x from this experiment, nrpacks is obsolete now and handled automatically AFAIK. BTW, does someone know, if USB-latency can be tweaked somehow nowadays in 3.x-kernels?

cheers

PS: Keep in mind, that the overall latency of course is influenced by the speed of the keypress. Hitting my test-key with ff I saw latencies down to 30 ms (rather than ~35 ms)

Last edited by groovy (19-02-2015 15:55)

Hi guys, i was just wondering if anyone of you could tell me how high the DSP load is while you´re using Pianoteq v5 ?

I got about 25-50% on my maschine, which is the Xeon 1230v3 @ 3.3ghz,8GB of RAM, on an HDD using low latency kernel on fedora 20 with an Focusrite 18i20 USB.

The overall latency of Jack is set to 256 samples so 11.6ms. any suggestions to lower the CPU usage ?
Bitwig Studio is the host.

Would you recommend using an SSD instead of the HDD ?

Thanks

AFAIK, an SSD would not have any influence with PianoTeq: everything is done in RAM.

Latency is due to several factors and mostly does not depend you your CPU.  The nominal latency is due to the configuration of you audio system (in Jack) which is given by  (frames/period)*(Periods/buffer)/(sample rate)  - using terminology of QJackCtl (since I notice you are using linux).   Frames/period is what you call "samples".   There can be additional latency due the audio hardware itself.   Anyway, latency is determined primarily by the settings you use according to the above formula.    The CPU (and audio card) affect how low of a latency you can use before the hardware cannot keep up and you miss audio buffers reads (called xruns) which result in audible glitches.  For live play you'll want to keep the latency to below roughly 10 msec to avoid a noticable delay between playing a note and hearing it.    For sequencing/mixxing you can set the latency high to give more processing power for your sequencer.   The DSP usage is the fraction of CPU time available used when processing audio frames (audio buffers reads).  If it reaches 100% you will likely get xruns.   Increasing latency will reduce the CPU load.   If your computer does frequency scaling, make sure to set it to "performance" to reduce your DSP load.

A SSD will have (almost) no effect on Pianoteq.   Well, Pianoteq would start up slightly faster.   A SSD is useful if you are playing sampled pianos.

Last edited by varpa (23-02-2015 21:55)

varpa wrote:

Latency is due to several factors and mostly does not depend you your CPU.  The nominal latency is due to the configuration of you audio system (in Jack) which is given by  (frames/period)*(Periods/buffer)/(sample rate)  - using terminology of QJackCtl (since I notice you are using linux).   Frames/period is what you call "samples".   There can be additional latency due the audio hardware itself.

Assuming JACK audio server daemon is running with these options:

'jackd -dalsa -p128 -n3 -r44100'

(frames/period)*(Periods/buffer)/(sample rate)

128 * 3 / 44100/s = 8.7 ms

Is the calculated "latency" of 8.7 ms correct then?

Is it the latency between the modelled tone and its entry into the audio-hardware? In other words, is 8.7 ms the time spent in JACK audio server until a sample from pianoteq reaches the audio card?

Thanks

@ Varpa do you have any idea how to scale the CPU frequency under gnome 3 ? Fedora 20 with gnome 3 is the OS...

@ groovy, as far as i know you´re right

thank you

There are command line utilities to control CPU like cpufreq.   Probably there are an applet you can use in gnome3.   Google is your friend.

thanks varpa you just gave me the right direction where to fix the problem, just needed to install kernel-tools from the link below.

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/...4.rpm.html

Now everything works way better, and i am pretty happy Thank you, made my day !

groovy - thanks for posting your interesting findings. 16 ms seems like a large difference but I suspect it's mainly due to the time taken for the key to move. Maybe I will do my own experiment to see if I get similar results (using Windows).

varpa wrote:

Latency is due to several factors and mostly does not depend you your CPU.  The nominal latency is due to the configuration of you audio system (in Jack) which is given by  (frames/period)*(Periods/buffer)/(sample rate)  - using terminology of QJackCtl (since I notice you are using linux).   Frames/period is what you call "samples".   There can be additional latency due the audio hardware itself.   Anyway, latency is determined primarily by the settings you use according to the above formula.    The CPU (and audio card) affect how low of a latency you can use before the hardware cannot keep up and you miss audio buffers reads (called xruns) which result in audible glitches.  For live play you'll want to keep the latency to below roughly 10 msec to avoid a noticable delay between playing a note and hearing it.    For sequencing/mixxing you can set the latency high to give more processing power for your sequencer.   The DSP usage is the fraction of CPU time available used when processing audio frames (audio buffers reads).  If it reaches 100% you will likely get xruns.   Increasing latency will reduce the CPU load.   If your computer does frequency scaling, make sure to set it to "performance" to reduce your DSP load.

A SSD will have (almost) no effect on Pianoteq.   Well, Pianoteq would start up slightly faster.   A SSD is useful if you are playing sampled pianos.

varpa - thanks for your on-topic reply! So, buying a faster computer won't improve my latency, if my current machine can cope with the lowest buffer settings already.

When you say "Increasing latency will reduce the CPU load", do you mean that processing of particularly intense moments can be spread out, hence peak load will be lower? The CPU needs to do the same amount of work whatever the latency, and you already said that latency doesn't depend on CPU power.

Last edited by snowjoke (27-02-2015 02:43)

I mis-spoke.   Lowering the latency will increase the DSP load.   DSP is the fraction of CPU time used for audio processing in one audio buffer read cycle.   If you reduce the latency there is less CPU time available for audio processing during read cycles are the DSP will approach 100%  If it reaches 100% you will like hear audio glitches.

Hi snowjoke,

snowjoke wrote:

groovy - thanks for posting your interesting findings. 16 ms seems like a large difference but I suspect it's mainly due to the time taken for the key to move.

don't know, but I did a little crazy experiment 8-) that stops the time (of the key-move?):

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/150227/w4o6piyn.jpg

The idea was to press the button of my Korg nanoKONTROL and to move the key of my Kawai at the "same" time (thank you, wine-cork ;-)

The time-difference between the Controller 41 event of the button and the Note On event of the Kawai was around 19 ms and thus in the same league of the ~16 ms latency I estimated in my previous post. A "measured" example in Pianoteq's MIDI log:

http://fs2.directupload.net/images/150227/zcxks7z5.png

It seems, that nearly the half of my overall-latency results from the keyboard. And has nothing to do with the CPU Power of the laptop.

cheers