Topic: Workflow for solo piano recordings

Hello! :-)

Just recently I discovered Pianoteq - I was looking for a piano VST for solo piano recordings and had a very close look at Synthogy's Ivory American D, Vienna Imperial and Pianoteq 5 Standard.

Up to now, Pianoteq has convinced me the most out of these three.

My goal is to produce recordings for

a) CD (mainly for family and friends) and
b) for internet publication.

I play solely solo piano in a style inspired by for example Keith Jarrett, Ludovico Einaudi and Bruce Hornsby.

My setup is a hybrid piano (KAWAI K-200 ATX2) that I use to record MIDI, Pianoteq 5, Cubase 5 and sometimes Audacity.

For my recordings I would like to achieve (different) sounds:

a) similar to that of one of Ludovico Einaudis live performances (first 3 minutes):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAuwd-4yYHE

I find the sound very clear, articulate, especially the interaction of bass and treble. The bass and the melody in my impression are considerably "loud", I imagine some sort of compression might have been used here.

b) similar to that of Keith Jarretts "Country" in this recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHZMHBzXnGc

c) similar to that of Keith Jarretts interpretation of "Old Man River" in this recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIUIuCrPGVg

I read a lot of discussions in this forum, basic articles on the internet and experimented a lot with the settings in Pianoteq but could not achieve results that satisfy me.

Some of the things I tried in Pianoteq:

1) Several instrument presets and manipulation of settings

2) Different velocity curves - I stayed with a slightly modified linear curve, which seems to reflect the behaviour of the keyboard of the Kawai K-200 ATX2 quite well.

3) Dynamics: Experimented with 20, 30, 40 and 50 dB.

4) Microphone positions

5) Reverb in PT, No Reverb in PT+convolution reverb from Cubase

6) Compression

My (amateurish) workflow for export has been the following:

1) Decrement the volume in pianoteq considerably (e.g. -20 dB)
2) Export WAV file with high quality settings, 44100 Hz, 32 bits
3) Apply high pass filter for frequencies below 20 Hz
4) Remove DC-offset+normalize to -0.3 dB
5) saved as WAV file with 16 bit using shaped dithering
6) burnt to audio CD

I listened to the results in several different settings (good Sennheiser headphones, internal laptop speakers, average external pc speakers, relatively good car loudspeakers, hi-fi loudspeakers of a friend).

Although I am actually quite impressed with the realism of the sound produced by Pianoteq, I still find it sometimes not present or loud enough overall. I really would like to achieve something more similar to the above-mentioned recordings.

I'd like to think I am an acceptable pianist, but I really are a beginner concerning Pianoteq and the wide area of recording/mastering/etc.

I'm willing to learn more and would be very happy if there are some professionals here reading my topic and have some immediate suggestions for the workflow for solo piano recordings with Pianoteq. Also recommendations for further readings are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Daniel

Last edited by daniel-carlow (17-11-2014 15:22)

Re: Workflow for solo piano recordings

Daniel,

You are using a midi keyboard that has a theoretical velocity range of 1 to 127.   However few keyboards output that range and calibrating using Pianoteq only linearises the actual midi values.  This makes a new range and then you are further adjusting by saying:

"Decrement the volume in pianoteq considerably (e.g. -20 dB)"

I'm not familiar with Pianoteq modelling but I guess that the piano voice uses several layers of modelling to cover each part of the sound waveform (fundamental + partials) and other sound such as the string resonance of other strings.   Thus when the maximum midi value has been reduced to say 80% of its true value and taking into account your further -20dB reduction,  there are parts of the total sound that are greatly reduced in volume and perhaps as you said have disappeared.

My guess is that you might not have calibrated using the maximum velocity that your keyboard can produce and that you reduced the Pianoteq internal volume too far.

Why did you apply compression if there was no vocal sound?
Why did you apply a high pass filter.   Just where was the sub 20Hz going to come from when you are using midi?

Ian

Hello Ian,

thanks a lot for your prompt response!

Beemer wrote:

You are using a midi keyboard that has a theoretical velocity range of 1 to 127.   However few keyboards output that range and calibrating using Pianoteq only linearises the actual midi values.

Yes, I generally agree on this. Kawai's ATX2 has sensors on the hammers (instead of beneath the keys) which - in my impression - allows for a very smooth mapping of the pianists playing to midi values.

Addressing your comment: I can consistently produce midi values between about 3 and 110 on the keyboard. Comparing this to the internal sound of the ATX2 (sample-based) 3 maps to ppp and 110 to fff. Inbetween these values the keyboard behaves more or less linear in my impression. I did modify the velocity curve appropriately - this is what I meant by "slightly modified". I'm sorry I might have not been clear enough about that.

Beemer wrote:

then you are further adjusting by saying:

"Decrement the volume in pianoteq considerably (e.g. -20 dB)"

Thus when the maximum midi value has been reduced to say 80% of its true value and taking into account your further -20dB reduction,  there are parts of the total sound that are greatly reduced in volume and perhaps as you said have disappeared.

Maybe I'm completely wrong here, still I'll try to explain why I reduced the volume:

If the volume is near to say 0 dB one might get clipping - or the limiter interferes if it is activated (which I have deactivated). So reducing the volume gives more "headroom" as I understand it. Taking into consideration that I use an audio bit depth of 32 bit for export it shouldn't matter whether the volume is reduced to for example -10 dB or -20 dB as long as it is enough to avoid clipping - after all the dynamic range is somewhere around 192 dB when using 32 bit. Afterwards one can normalise to e.g. -0.3 db.

Beemer wrote:

Why did you apply compression if there was no vocal sound?

I mentioned several different things I tried and experimented with. I don't generally use compression. I tried this because I hoped to get a more present and loud sound, just as in the first two videos I linked in my first post. I don't think it's generally a bad idea - quite a few of the presets in pianoteq actually apply some compression.

Beemer wrote:

Why did you apply a high pass filter.   Just where was the sub 20Hz going to come from when you are using midi?

I got the idea from several articles on piano recording. You might be right that it has no effect, I will check this. But I think it should have no negative effect.

Thank you for your input. I'm looking forward to further recommendations.

Cheers,
Daniel

Some nice sound examples . Thank you, Daniel!

I'm impressed by Stereophonic output newly. Sounds quite full and balanced on speakers as well as headphones.

Due to the low resolution of the videos one cannot see the details of mic positioning, unfortunately. In Old Man River I see a quite distant Spaced Pair position + room mic at least. In the Einaudi video I see two mics very high pointing at the middle of the piano and one or two lower ones at the end of the piano.

I experienced that sometimes you can get more punch by turning off Compensation in the Sound Recording panel.

formerly known as Notyetconvinced

Modellingoptimist wrote:

Some nice sound examples . Thank you, Daniel!

You're welcome! :-)

Modellingoptimist wrote:

I'm impressed by Stereophonic output newly. Sounds quite full and balanced on speakers as well as headphones.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a try.

Modellingoptimist wrote:

Due to the low resolution of the videos one cannot see the details of mic positioning, unfortunately. In Old Man River I see a quite distant Spaced Pair position + room mic at least. In the Einaudi video I see two mics very high pointing at the middle of the piano and one or two lower ones at the end of the piano.

Figuring out the microphone positions seems a good starting point. It would be great to be able to talk to the people involved with the recordings. ;-)

Is there anybody else reading this post who has ideas on how to achieve these unique piano sounds in the three recordings with Pianoteq?

Best regards,
Daniel

Nice find, the Jarrett video at mcPartland's. First thing I'd do is setting a low dynamic response... 20 or so... the sound becomes closer, the noise of hammers (raised, around 1,50) is more present. Here is a very quickly done example, it needs to get darker, but can show a direction towards that kind of sound.

http://www.robertosoggetti.com/ptq/likejarrett.mp3

Edit: on a second listen, I think that I should raise the impedance parameter a bit, to make for a more singing tone

Last edited by robsogge (17-11-2014 23:41)

robsogge wrote:

Nice find, the Jarrett video at mcPartland's. First thing I'd do is setting a low dynamic response... 20 or so... the sound becomes closer, the noise of hammers (raised, around 1,50) is more present. Here is a very quickly done example, it needs to get darker, but can show a direction towards that kind of sound.

Nice ! You confirm my suspicion: That popular reduced, strong and dark sound with distinct treble many people like sample libraries and recordings for is almost certainly the result of processing. The interesting thing is that many engineers are able to achieve a similar result. I've played more grand pianos which sounded rather like Pianoteq by default, though: more complex. But I'd like it as an option. For now we have to do without that kicking pedal noise. To me Old Man River is most similar to Pianoteq by default.

EDIT: I have to differentiate a bit. Although the sound in the video at McPartland's also has that dark character and kicking pedal it is, in contrast to the others, obviously very processed maybe to sound vintage. That effect is a combination of compression and the proximity effect due to close micing and maybe the use of vintage mics and tape saturation, I guess. Fits to the piece but is not natural.

Last edited by Modellingoptimist (18-11-2014 23:39)

robsogge wrote:

Edit: on a second listen, I think that I should raise the impedance parameter a bit, to make for a more singing tone

Thank you, I really was surprised by your mp3 - in my impression it captures some of the characteristics of the recording. I'm curious: What presets did you choose? Maybe you please could upload the FXP.

Cheers,
Daniel

Modellingoptimist wrote:

Nice ! You confirm my suspicion: That popular reduced, strong and mellow sound with distinct treble many people like sample libraries and recordings for is almost certainly the result of processing. The interesting thing is that many engineers are able to achieve a similar result. I've played more grand pianos which sounded rather like Pianoteq by default, though: more complex. But I'd like it as an option. For now we have to do without that kicking pedal noise. To me Old Man River is most similar to Pianoteq by default.

EDIT: I have to differentiate a bit. Although the sound in the video at McPartland's also has that dark character and kicking pedal it is, in contrast to the others, obviously very processed maybe to sound vintage. That effect is a combination of compression and the proximity effect due to close micing and maybe the use of vintage mics and tape saturation, I guess. Fits to the piece but is not natural.

Thank you Modellingoptimist! I like that sound, very dry and close, I wouldn't say overly processed... very saturated, and a bit muffled, but that could be the sound of the studio. Maybe it was recorded to analogue...

daniel-carlow wrote:
robsogge wrote:

Thank you, I really was surprised by your mp3 - in my impression it captures some of the characteristics of the recording. I'm curious: What presets did you choose? Maybe you please could upload the FXP.

Cheers,
Daniel

Hi Daniel, I really did that in a hurry... tomorrow I'm going to refine it and post the fxp here, so you can try it. I think I'll go with a closed lid miking, to capture some of the darkness of that particular sound.

robsogge wrote:
Modellingoptimist wrote:

Nice ! You confirm my suspicion: That popular reduced, strong and mellow sound with distinct treble many people like sample libraries and recordings for is almost certainly the result of processing. The interesting thing is that many engineers are able to achieve a similar result. I've played more grand pianos which sounded rather like Pianoteq by default, though: more complex. But I'd like it as an option. For now we have to do without that kicking pedal noise. To me Old Man River is most similar to Pianoteq by default.

Thank you Modellingoptimist! I like that sound, very dry and close, I wouldn't say overly processed... very saturated, and a bit muffled, but that could be the sound of the studio. Maybe it was recorded to analogue...

You're welcome . I think you're one of the best tweakers here. BTW, I changed "mellow" to "dark" some minutes ago. That's what I mean.

Daniel, I've uploaded an fxp here: http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.php?id=2225  with a short mp3, http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.php?file=KJ.mp3

Hello,

the initial posting of this thread could have done by me - that's what I thought when I read it first.
I would even had choosen the Einaudi video as reference for the sound I'm looking for. As I just started to play with the various available options in PT, it'll be more a long term challenge to get close to that .. at least on a basic level.

Roberto, I'm impressed how accuratly one can match a given sound with all those settings! Really unfortunate you picked the third and not the first video as reference

robsogge wrote:

Daniel, I've uploaded an fxp here: http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.php?id=2225  with a short mp3, http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.php?file=KJ.mp3

Beside the 'bunch of flowers' I wanted to leave an quite interesting link here. It's about the mic settings and used equipment for one of Einaudi's concerts (In a Time Laps - Burmingham). The sound is very similar to the concert in the Royal Albert Hall. There are very bad quality clips of it on youtube (not worth to be shared) but one gets an impression of the general sound.

Here the sound engineer reveals at least a part of the secret two Schoeps MK41 are used to mic the piano (in the 'completely inside the music' section).
http://www.tpimagazine.com/production-p...lapse.html

So, the article refers to two Schoeps MK41 super-cardioid mics. I wonder if those are equal to the CMC6MK4 modeled in Pianoteq?
Of course this is just one single element.

Bernd

daniel-carlow wrote:

I'm willing to learn more and would be very happy if there are some professionals here reading my topic and have some immediate suggestions for the workflow for solo piano recordings with Pianoteq. Also recommendations for further readings are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Daniel

Hello Daniel,

I watched Keith Jarrett's 'Old Man River' video as he imitated Glenn Gould's bodily movements, complete with a separate microphone placed at his left side to capture his "spontaneous" singing.

Glenn Gould imitation aside, I observed the video's in-the-strings microphone placement, noticed the separate ambience microphone placed at the edge of the stage, and listened to the amount of reverb and compressed sound.   My following recommendations are stated as ways to recreate this sound:

1) Select whichever D4 setting you like the most.  (Jarrett played a German Steinway D in this video, with two microphones placed along the midline of the piano -- the "right channel" midway along the piano's centerline, and the "left" channel placed even closer to the strings, and positioned towards the back third of the piano's case (presumably over the piano's bass bridge).

2) DECREASE the dynamic range slider to approximately 8 to 10dB instead of the stock 30dB setting.  Adjust the overall volume level such that the piano is loud enough, but does not regularly engage the limiter.

3) If you have access to microphone placement, depending on which version of Pianoteq 5 you own, place the virtual microphones as shown in the video:  the "right-channel" microphone should be a cardioid type, placed about halfway along the piano's case and raised such that it is slightly below the raised piano lid; the "left channel" microphone should be of the same cardioid (not omnidirectional) type, about 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the piano's length away from the keyboard.  Note: the "third" microphone does not need to be implemented in Pianoteq, because the adjustment for reverb will take care of this.

4)  If you have access to Pianoteq's reverb control, click on the "Effects" button to open the reverb control:  Increase the Mix slider from its stock -15dB value, and move it to a range of +3 to +5dB.  (This will not overload the volume; rather, it will allow more of the reverb to be heard.)   Increase the Duration slider from its stock 1.5 seconds to about 2.5 seconds.

That's it!  No need to mess with hammer hardness settings or impedance.

Hopefully this helps you achieve the sound you desire.

pianolin wrote:

Roberto, I'm impressed how accuratly one can match a given sound with all those settings! Really unfortunate you picked the third and not the first video as reference ....

Bernd

Haha I wanted to listen to the first video but it was taken down due to copyright issues... Do you have a reference audio file?

Hello,

Yes, it worked on the day when Daniel posted it. One or two days later it was blocked.

But luckily someone provided his backup copy under a different link to enable it for educational purposes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR_HeD0piRI

Regarding the sound attributes it's exactly like Daniel said in his initial post. To me it appears very warm.
Please bare with me if this is not articulated correctly (also no long time piano player).. but, dynamic range seems not too big to me. Maybe that's what Daniel referred to as 'compression'.

And this is actually something which wonders me a lot when I read other posts where very often a suggestion is to lower the Dynamic setting in PT (I think you recommended this as well for the Jarrett sound). These samples come from real recorded pianos is this just post-processing? I mean, there are no concert grands out there which have this dynamic-adjustment-knob - which we luckily have in PT. So all adjusted in the sound studio later?

Bernd

Last edited by pianolin (26-11-2014 21:05)

Thanks for the link Bernd, I'm downoading right now... I'm in school until 10 pm so I'll only have a chance to listen and try to aproximate that sound tomorrow... as for the dynamic range, I think it's a natural property of how the sound propagates. When you're close to the instrument the dB range from ppp to fff is compressed compared to listening from a distance, where the ppp gets almost inaudible. The timbral palette of the instrument though is even wider when you're close, ppp is misterious and very dark (but not lacking in certain areas of high frequencies, something I'm missing in ptq's ppp) through the various stages of mp, mf, f up to the roaring fff...

here's an fxp of my try at Einaudi's sound... not very good, but also not bad

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.php?id=2237

and a little mp3:

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...inauD4.mp3

Roberto,

many thanks for sharing. Really appreciated!
So far I had the chance to listen to your example only - which is very promising. Will spend some time over the weekend so see how it feels playing your preset.

Bernd

pianolin wrote:

Roberto,

many thanks for sharing. Really appreciated!
So far I had the chance to listen to your example only - which is very promising. Will spend some time over the weekend so see how it feels playing your preset.

Bernd

you're welcome Bernd...

hey all,

I'm in a similar boat, getting ready to record some solo piano works of original compositions and arrangements.

I'd like to keep things as simple as possible.  I have  a controller feeding into Pianoteq 5 Std on my Linux laptop via Jack, routed through to an external firewire soundcard (Echo AudioFire2).  I have a small 8 channel mixer I can hook up somewhere in that process, mostly after the soundcard to feed the studio monitors and headphones (so I keep everything neutral EQ'd) so I have some physical volume knobs.

In terms of workflow, I'm thinking of just
1. recording some solid midi performance files directly in Pianoteq using whatever sounds best during performance / recording
2. play back the midi performance in Pianoteq and change the models, mic placement, etc so I get something that sounds good for listening
3. using whatever settings I have settled on for #2, generate the audio in Pianoteq and route it through Jack into Audacity or even something simple like Jack Time Machine for the final capture, with minimal postprocessing (mostly, downmixing into two stereo channels if I end up with more than two signals coming out of Pianoteq).

Thoughts?

ethanay wrote:

hey all,

I'm in a similar boat, getting ready to record some solo piano works of original compositions and arrangements.

I'd like to keep things as simple as possible.  I have  a controller feeding into Pianoteq 5 Std on my Linux laptop via Jack, routed through to an external firewire soundcard (Echo AudioFire2).  I have a small 8 channel mixer I can hook up somewhere in that process, mostly after the soundcard to feed the studio monitors and headphones (so I keep everything neutral EQ'd) so I have some physical volume knobs.

In terms of workflow, I'm thinking of just
1. recording some solid midi performance files directly in Pianoteq using whatever sounds best during performance / recording
2. play back the midi performance in Pianoteq and change the models, mic placement, etc so I get something that sounds good for listening
3. using whatever settings I have settled on for #2, generate the audio in Pianoteq and route it through Jack into Audacity or even something simple like Jack Time Machine for the final capture, with minimal postprocessing (mostly, downmixing into two stereo channels if I end up with more than two signals coming out of Pianoteq).

Thoughts?

Apologies if I'm missing something, but what benefit would #3 have over simply exporting uncompressed WAV files from Pianoteq? Downmixing shouldn't be necessary if your recording preset is stereo to begin with.

JerryKnight wrote:

Apologies if I'm missing something, but what benefit would #3 have over simply exporting uncompressed WAV files from Pianoteq? Downmixing shouldn't be necessary if your recording preset is stereo to begin with.

Good question! 

1.  I didn't know that I could just export an uncompressed WAV directly from a midi (i.e., process the midi data into audio using the Pianoteq engine without actually having to go through realtime playback and capture first?). 

2. I wonder whether routing the data through the firewire interface vs the internal soundcard has any impact on sound quality in this case (I know it does for mic/instrument signal capture, but if Pianoteq is creating the audio internally based on a series of mathematical calculations of midi data, then it seems we would end up with the same or similar recording quality regardless of the other hardware in use?)

3. Maybe internally generating a WAV file can allow sound production at higher quality rates than real-time given hardware limitations? IE, make time rather than CPU the dependent variable (e.g., to allow higher polyphony, more mics, etc --it would just take longer to process vs creating a process error from CPU overload)

4. I'm interested in exploring multi-mic setups, and wonder whether there's a significant difference in capturing, say, 4 mic sources as independent channels and then downmixing to stereo vs capturing 4 mic signals into 2 stereo channels.

Thanks!

ethanay wrote:

Good question! 

1.  I didn't know that I could just export an uncompressed WAV directly from a midi (i.e., process the midi data into audio using the Pianoteq engine without actually having to go through realtime playback and capture first?). 

2. I wonder whether routing the data through the firewire interface vs the internal soundcard has any impact on sound quality in this case (I know it does for mic/instrument signal capture, but if Pianoteq is creating the audio internally based on a series of mathematical calculations of midi data, then it seems we would end up with the same or similar recording quality regardless of the other hardware in use?)

3. Maybe internally generating a WAV file can allow sound production at higher quality rates than real-time given hardware limitations? IE, make time rather than CPU the dependent variable (e.g., to allow higher polyphony, more mics, etc --it would just take longer to process vs creating a process error from CPU overload)

4. I'm interested in exploring multi-mic setups, and wonder whether there's a significant difference in capturing, say, 4 mic sources as independent channels and then downmixing to stereo vs capturing 4 mic signals into 2 stereo channels.

Thanks!

1. It's not a prominent feature unless you go menu surfing.

2. The WAV export doesn't touch any sound card at all. It simply renders the audio exactly as it would realtime, but directly to a WAV file, and since it doesn't go through a sound interface, it renders as fast as the CPU allows, usually significantly faster than realtime in my experience.

3. You're describing the WAV export feature exactly. If you look at the export options, you'll see a "high quality" setting - I believe that bumps the polyphony up to max, as well as a couple other things I forget. You can also use a preset with a more elaborate recording mic setup if you want.

4. When you set up mics, you assign each mic to the mix independently, and I'm pretty sure all of the presets start off with just two stereo output channels, no matter how many mics there are. You can enable multiple output channels, but you have to assign each mic to each channel(s) in order to use the extra channels. Unless you plan on doing fancy processing to each channel before downmixing, there's no reason not to let Pianoteq mix for you.

In my live-playing setup, I use channels 3 and 4 for tactile transducers mounted under the piano cabinet, but for recording, I re-render the recorded MIDI file with one of the standard mic/channel arrangements.

JerryKnight wrote:

4. When you set up mics, you assign each mic to the mix independently, and I'm pretty sure all of the presets start off with just two stereo output channels, no matter how many mics there are. You can enable multiple output channels, but you have to assign each mic to each channel(s) in order to use the extra channels. Unless you plan on doing fancy processing to each channel before downmixing, there's no reason not to let Pianoteq mix for you.

In my live-playing setup, I use channels 3 and 4 for tactile transducers mounted under the piano cabinet, but for recording, I re-render the recorded MIDI file with one of the standard mic/channel arrangements.

So, to clarify, "let Pianoteq mix for you" = assign any/all mics to either/both of the stereo output channels, and just don't bother increasing beyond the two channels unless I plan on doing some processing to a specific microphone/channel independently before the final downmix.

Also, to clarify -- are you saying you tend to use one of the mic presets without fussing much with them before rendering the audio file?

So here's my workflow modified with the information you've provided:
1. Find/create a preset ideal for performance
2. Record the midi performance
3. Find/create a preset ideal for playback/listening.  Keep the output to stereo (2 channels), no matter how many mics are used.
4. Export the midi performance directly to WAV using the highest quality settings

Thanks, this is really helpful!

ethanay wrote:

So, to clarify, "let Pianoteq mix for you" = assign any/all mics to either/both of the stereo output channels, and just don't bother increasing beyond the two channels unless I plan on doing some processing to a specific microphone/channel independently before the final downmix.

Also, to clarify -- are you saying you tend to use one of the mic presets without fussing much with them before rendering the audio file?

So here's my workflow modified with the information you've provided:
1. Find/create a preset ideal for performance
2. Record the midi performance
3. Find/create a preset ideal for playback/listening.  Keep the output to stereo (2 channels), no matter how many mics are used.
4. Export the midi performance directly to WAV using the highest quality settings

Thanks, this is really helpful!

Yes, you would specify the mix by assigning each mic to each channel in various combinations. Pianoteq can even compensate for varying delays and mic levels.

And yes, I spend far more effort in my practice setup than my recording setup. Since I don't have a recording background, I stick to the safe defaults.

That workflow is pretty much the same as mine, with the obvious step 5 being encoding.