Topic: Does Pianoteq Stage sounds like Standard and Pro?

I have Pianoteq Stage and some instruments. I know that I lose some tunings of the instruments in Stage version, but if I just play it will sounds exactly as in Standard and Pro?

Last edited by Ross (12-10-2014 19:34)
Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

Re: Does Pianoteq Stage sounds like Standard and Pro?

It will sound like the Standard/Pro edition in Stereophonic mode, if I am not mistaken. The sound engine itself is identical.

The Stage version cannot make use of most of the adjustments you can do in the Pro version (the Standard version can), and the Stage version is missing the 'Sound Recording' and 'Binaural' output modes, which are essentially a virtual sound stage with up to 5 microphones or a dummy head, respectively. The Stereophonic mode is (if I recall correctly) equivalent to the Sound Recording mode with a very specific placement of the microphones. It used to be the only mode available in older versions.

However, Standard and Pro include lots of presets that differ mainly in their microphone setups, and this is something that is missing completely in Stage as far as I know.

Last edited by kalessin (12-10-2014 20:08)
Pianoteq 6 Standard (Steinway D&B, Grotrian, Petrof, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Blüthner, K2, YC5, U4, Kremsegg 1&2, Karsten, Electric, Hohner)

Ross wrote:

I have Pianoteq Stage and some instruments. I know that I lose some tunings of the instruments in Stage version, but if I just play it will sounds exactly as in Standard and Pro?

If you just play any built-in preset, it will sound exactly the same in all versions, Stage Standard and Pro. Differences in sound between Stage and Standard/Pro can appear only when you are using user presets (via fxp files). You can find some additional details on the page https://www.pianoteq.com/pianoteq5

Philippe, I just checked and at least the 'Sound Recording' mode is definitely missing in Stage. So does this mean that 'Stereophonic' mode always uses the default microphone setup that is shown in Sound Recording mode, at least for a factory preset?

Last edited by kalessin (13-10-2014 07:30)
Pianoteq 6 Standard (Steinway D&B, Grotrian, Petrof, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Blüthner, K2, YC5, U4, Kremsegg 1&2, Karsten, Electric, Hohner)

kalessin wrote:

Philippe, I just checked and at least the 'Sound Recording' mode is definitely missing in Stage. So does this mean that 'Stereophonic' mode always uses the default microphone setup that is shown in Sound Recording mode, at least for a factory preset?

Exactly.

Philippe Guillaume wrote:
kalessin wrote:

Exactly.

But in Standard Stereophonic output differs from Sound Recording. Can you describe how Stereophonic output works in Standard, Philippe? Thanks

formerly known as Notyetconvinced

Modellingoptimist wrote:
Philippe Guillaume wrote:
kalessin wrote:

Exactly.

But in Standard Stereophonic output differs from Sound Recording. Can you describe how Stereophonic output works in Standard, Philippe? Thanks

Yes I can:

• Stage with default preset displaying Stereophonic = Standard with default preset displaying Sound Recording. Because Stage does not offer the Sound Recording mode (SRM) which lets you move the mics, it displays Stereophonic instead, but the sound is always the same in Stage, Standard or Pro for any default preset.

• In Standard and Pro versions, the Stereophonic mode may produce a different sound than the SRM, because the default mic position specified for the Stereophonic mode cand be different than the one specified for the SRM. However, the Stereophonic mode is always a particular case of the SRM, that is, being in the SRM, you can find a mic position that produces exactly the same sound as the Stereophonic mode. See a detailed example in my other post http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic...66#p930566.

Thank you, Philippe. I promise I'll use the search function more often, as well as the Stereophonic output .

formerly known as Notyetconvinced

You are welcome .

kalessin wrote:

. . .
The Stage version cannot make use of most of the adjustments you can do in the Pro version (the Standard version can), and the Stage version is missing the 'Sound Recording' and 'Binaural' output modes, which are essentially a virtual sound stage with up to 5 microphones or a dummy head, respectively. The Stereophonic mode is (if I recall correctly) equivalent to the Sound Recording mode with a very specific placement of the microphones. It used to be the only mode available in older versions. . . .

"Stage" has "binaural", "stereo", and "monophonic" modes.  At least mine does, with the Bluthner piano.

.      Charles

cpcohen wrote:

"Stage" has "binaural", "stereo", and "monophonic" modes.  At least mine does, with the Bluthner piano.

Yes, I was wrong there. And as Philippe has pointed out, Stage's stereophonic mode is actually the sound recording mode, but without the ability to modify the microphone settings. So a factory preset should sound exactly the same in Stage's 'Stereophonic' and in Standard/Pro's 'Sound Recording' mode. The rest about user presets and Stage not offering any means to change the microphone positions was correct, however, my main point being that the biggest difference between the versions is flexibility.

Last edited by kalessin (15-11-2014 11:21)

Sorry, seems that I understand, but just to be 100% sure. Stage actually changing all the microphone settings (position, type and all the rest) for each factory preset but just does not let edit them?

From what I checked the factory presets from Stereophonic in Stage sounds exactly the same as Sound Recording in Standard. Though I can't clearly guess the logic for switching between Sound Recording and Stereophonic in Standard.

Ok, just after reading my post again, and rereading the previous answers again I got it more or less.

So the owners of Stage can use the Standard Trial for the reference checking the microphone positions for factory presets.

Last edited by AKM (22-11-2014 12:26)