Topic: Is it possible to simulate a Virginal or Clavisimbalum?

Dear Pianoteq Forum,

Thank you for such a wonderful product!  I have not yet purchased as I have some questions about the flexibility of the options in the software.

Specifically I am very interested in Virginal and Clavisimbalum and was wondering if it would be possible to tweak the current software to approximate of not match the sound of either of these instruments.  I am aware that the models are created off of real instruments, I don't know to what extent one may change either the model or it's parameters to approximate the sound of either of the above instruments.

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks for all the good work.

BD

Last edited by tacbd (13-11-2014 00:32)

Re: Is it possible to simulate a Virginal or Clavisimbalum?

There are already 2 harpsichords and a clavichord... approaching the sound of a virginal or clavisimbalum should be possible without too much tweaking.

Hi Luc,

Thank you for the response.  This approximates the answer I came to as I researched a bit more.  The things that concern me most are decay and whether or not the cabinet length can be adjusted, color, etc.  Are all of these attributes capable of being adjusted appropriately, or somehow "finagled"?

Kind Regards,
BD

A suggestion:

. . . Download a "trial" copy of Pianoteq (not the "Stage" version -- either "Pro" or "Standard"),
. . . and play with it yourself.

It's fully functional, except for some silent keys.  So you can modify the presets yourself.

.      Charles

Thanks for the suggestion cpcohen.  I actually came to the forum after trying the trial.  I'm at work at the moment and don't recall if it was stage or standard, but I'm pretty sure it was standard (?).

Is there a Pro trial available?  If so and someone can indicate where to pick it up I'd appreciate it.  I don't see it on here when I follow the link to "try".  I'd only consider the Pro version anyway as I'm pretty sure that would be the only version really built for what I want to accomplish.  I don't want to purchase it, though, and then find out it doesn't cut it.  So if there is a Pro trial I'm extremely interested.

Kind Regards,
BD

Also, if I remember correctly, when I was using the trial not all of the instruments were available to use, which is another reason I stopped by the forum.

The KiVIR instruments are not available in the trial version of pianoteq.  The harpsichords, the clavichord, are all from the KiVIR Project.

I have corresponded with the Pianoteq company about the possibility of their creating models for a Virginal and more "early music" keyboards. I cannot report anything specific, but I believe that the Pianoteq company is interested in pursuing this if users express more interest.

In the meantime, the Grimaldi (1697) harpsichord instrument in the KiVIR package (which is a free add-on with the purchase of Pianoteq) is quite good.

Off-topic, if you are interested in sample-based early music instruments, there is a collection of sample libraries by the realsamples company that provides a couple of "English spinets". http://www.realsamples.net

Last edited by Wheat Williams (21-11-2014 14:09)
Dayton, Ohio, United States of America
macOS 10.14.6 Mojave • Apple MacBook Pro (2017), no Touch Bar • 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 2 core • 8GB RAM

I remember the Grimaldi was available in 4.5 demo.

Wheat Williams wrote:

I have corresponded with the Pianoteq company about the possibility of their creating models for a Virginal and more "early music" keyboards. I cannot report anything specific, but I believe that the Pianoteq company is interested in pursuing this if users express more interest.

In the meantime, the Grimaldi (1697) harpsichord instrument in the KiVIR package (which is a free add-on with the purchase of Pianoteq) is quite good.

Off-topic, if you are interested in sample-based early music instruments, there is a collection of sample libraries by the realsamples company that provides a couple of "English spinets". http://www.realsamples.net

Well I'd love those! This is what I want pianoteq for- all those early keyboard sounds! My Privia has one harpsichord sound that is nice, but I would love more early keyboard sounds.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano (22-11-2014 17:41)

Hi Wheat,

Thank you for the response.  If I choose to go with Pianoteq I'll check on the Grimaldi as an option to alter to acheive the sound, and also the sampled versions you linked to.  I did download the standard version demo and it seems as if it *may* work out.  Although I'm a bit squeamish about spending so much money to end up with something unworkable.  It's impossible to test without access to the harpsichord instruments.

Pianoteq technicians: if you're listening I'd like to mention two things:

1) I am extremely interested in historical instruments.  If you had a virginal and a clavisimbalum my money would already be in your pocket.

***2)  I don't know the specifics/complexities of how your modelling system works, but if you could accomplish the following it would put you a great distance ahead of any competition which *may* be out there:

If you could find a way to develop a software solution by which your customers could input information (measurements, materials, etc.(?)) about an instrument into the software and it would process that information (without leaking any trade secrets you need kept under wraps) and model an instrument out of it - this would be phenomenal and a true breakthrough in virtual instruments. 

In other words - let's say I own a virginal.  I can open up "Pianoteq Modelling" and input a variety of parameters about my virginal into the software.  The software will then utilize your modelling forumlae and create a virginal instrument based off of the information I have put in.  This modelled instrument could then be sold on your website to other customers (in a manner so that both Pianoteq and the person who transferred the information about the instrument could earn some money off of it, ideally) and purchased and downloaded by other customers.

If you could do this, the sky would be the limit.  If I know someone in Alabama needs a modelling of a 1939 Baldwin spinet and I have one in my living room, I can make the measurements, input them into "Pianoteq modelling", upload the product to the site, and you have a new piano in your library you (or we) could earn off of - basically everyone wins.

Or if I want an Italian harpsichord of a certain make and model and know someone who has one, I can work on my own behalf to make it a reality (without you divulging your trade secrets, but also without being restricted to your development process or assessment of the market).

This is something which could truly blow your competition out of the pool.  It could also create a stronger more interactive community and way more buzz around Pianoteq.

Again, I have no idea how possible this is as I don't know how your system works.  All I know is how it would be truly awesome to have such a product on the market.

Wheat Williams wrote:

Yes, and also a very fine Lautenwerk, for those so inclined.