Topic: comparison real vs D4

I find a striking similarity between this Chick Corea live recording (from his "Portraits") and a preset for D4 I've done... shows the realism of D4 to me.. posted in "Other files" section

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...kVSptq.mp3

Re: comparison real vs D4

Fascinating. They're very close indeed. What's the Pianoteq preset? Is it the 'Chick' present which you've uploaded to the fxp section?

Last edited by Pianophile (23-10-2014 11:43)

Pianophile wrote:

Fascinating. They're very close indeed. What's the Pianoteq preset? Is it the 'Chick' present which you've uploaded to the fxp section?

it's a new one I've done, I'll post it as it's refined enough... thanks for your comment

hi Pianophile, I've uploaded the fxp I used for the comparison in the Fxp Corner, in case you (or anyone else) want to test it.

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.php?id=2214

Robsogge, I'm amazed how well you reproduced Corea playing "Blue Monk", congratulations! Unusual tonality, isn't it?

thank you, Philippe! Yep, it's usually in Bb, but Chick must have had his reasons to play it in F... he's got perfect pitch, so I'm sure it's not a mistake

robsogge wrote:

thank you, Philippe! Yep, it's usually in Bb, but Chick must have had his reasons to play it in F... he's got perfect pitch, so I'm sure it's not a mistake

I didn't think it was a mistake, in fact I like it in F, it makes it less dark . Your preset sounds great too!
BTW, could you upload the MIDI file? I'd love to have it to make tests, such a pleasure to listen to it.

sure, give me a minute...

here it is!

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...ueMonk.mid

Fantastic, thank you very much Rob!

Philippe Guillaume wrote:

Fantastic, thank you very much Rob!

you're welcome, Philippe!

Thanks so much, Rob! I'm going to try it out very soon.

I've just tried it out and it's very nice indeed. Thanks!

Jan

Very well done indeed.

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

Good job. Would be nice if you could add some retro editing, narrow band equalization, compression, and background noises, close to original one. There are some software that just add it by a click of a mouse, though the best of them is rather expensive, I'm talking about the Audio Ease Speakerphone.

Last edited by AKM (11-11-2014 15:27)

AKM wrote:

Good job. Would be nice if you could add some retro editing, narrow band equalization, compression, and background noises, close to original one. There are some software that just add it by a click of a mouse, though the best of them is rather expensive, I'm talking about the Audio Ease Speakerphone.

Thank you guys for the comments...
Andrei, I could have gone for a more exact replication of Corea's performance, as you suggest. But I was impressed by the fact that what I'd have called "plastic" in the attacks of the D4 was actually there in the real thing, showing that I had preconceived ideas about the timbre of the Steinway.

[thumb up]

Robsogge, I'm amazed how well you reproduced Corea playing "Blue Monk", congratulations! Unusual tonality, isn't it?

Philippe,

Could you advise me how I can get a mid file to open ready to play in my Pianoteq 5 Stage?   I have associated mid files with Pianoteq but it is always the "Blues Demo" file that plays.   I have to manually load the Blue Monk file from file explorer.

Ian

Beemer wrote:

Philippe,

Could you advise me how I can get a mid file to open ready to play in my Pianoteq 5 Stage?   I have associated mid files with Pianoteq but it is always the "Blues Demo" file that plays.   I have to manually load the Blue Monk file from file explorer.

Ian

Just drag a .mid file onto Pianoteq interface or the second way go to File > Load MIDI file.

AKM wrote:
Beemer wrote:

Philippe,

Ian

Just drag a .mid file onto Pianoteq interface or the second way go to File > Load MIDI file.

This is for reading a given MIDI file. If moreover you want that MIDI file to be the one loaded by default in Pianoteq, go to Options -> General and in the MIDI player section at the bottom, browse and select the MIDI file you want to use, and restart Pianoteq.

AKM wrote:
Beemer wrote:

Philippe,

Ian

This is for reading a given MIDI file. If moreover you want that MIDI file to be the one loaded by default in Pianoteq, go to Options -> General and in the MIDI player section at the bottom, browse and select the MIDI file you want to use, and restart Pianoteq.

Ok, I understood what Mr. Beemer was asking about and it could be a feature maybe. Double clicking on a .mid file could make Pianoteq just immediately  play this file or at least load it into the built-in player. As for now if you manually associate a .mid files with, say, Pianoteq 5 STAGE.exe then double clicking just tries to open another instance of the Pianoteq without loading or playing a file.

AKM wrote:
AKM wrote:

Ok, I understood what Mr. Beemer was asking about and it could be a feature maybe. Double clicking on a .mid file could make Pianoteq just immediately  play this file or at least load it into the built-in player. As for now if you manually associate a .mid files with, say, Pianoteq 5 STAGE.exe then double clicking just tries to open another instance of the Pianoteq without loading or playing a file.

Ah,yes, I misunderstood the question.

Furthermore, not sure it is a good idea to add complexity to already great software, there must be some balance, but anyway a feature suggestion: make Pianoteq able to create a package files containing both Midi and .FXP data for easy loading and playback. Maybe even some playlists feature.

Last edited by AKM (11-11-2014 21:50)