Topic: v5.1 impressions

In my opinion the D4 is close to perfection right now! Why only "close"? Because it's always better to leave the door open for further improvements .

In the meantime a new sample library of a famous company was launched. Static is the keyword. I'm completely healed .

And the new binaural model is brilliant!

formerly known as Notyetconvinced

Re: v5.1 impressions

You're right - one step close to perfection!

I find that the gap between D4 and the Blüthner is smaller.

Kudos for Modartt

Last edited by mfiadeiro (10-10-2014 11:31)

Modellingoptimist wrote:

In my opinion the D4 is close to perfection right now! Why only "close"? Because it's always better to leave the door open for further improvements .

In the meantime a new sample library of a famous company was launched. Static is the keyword. I'm completely healed .

And the new binaural model is brilliant!

Sorry but from what I read, they didn't change anything to the D4 model, or am I wrong?

stamkorg wrote:

Sorry but from what I read, they didn't change anything to the D4 model, or am I wrong?

It is "slightly revoiced". To me the bass has a bit more boom and the overall sound is more defined and dynamic.

Last edited by Modellingoptimist (09-10-2014 14:03)

Modellingoptimist wrote:
stamkorg wrote:

It is "slightly revoiced". To me the bass has a bit more boom and the overall sound is more defined and dynamic.

You are right, the model has been tweaked. It is not clearly said on Pianoteq's main page.

https://www.pianoteq.com/pianoteq5

Says it clearly here.

Last edited by EvilDragon (09-10-2014 14:47)
Hard work and guts!

stamkorg wrote:
Modellingoptimist wrote:
stamkorg wrote:

You are right, the model has been tweaked. It is not clearly said on Pianoteq's main page.

We have now updated the main page, thank you stamkorg for pointing.

I like the "slightly revoiced" D4 Grand too! More natural, better definition.
Thank you MODARTT!!

Other changes like "Binaural model" I didn't test so far, as I always use monophonic and mono-amps.

I've been thinking. Would binaural mode not also be a good choice when playing through speakers? I've never thought about it until now, but the revamped binaural mode in 5.1 got me to think about that output mode.

(By the way, are the demo/preview buttons in the preset management list new in 5.1 or 5.0? I am relatively sure they weren't there in Pianoteq 4. Nice feature, though. )

Last edited by kalessin (09-10-2014 18:46)
Pianoteq 6 Standard (Steinway D&B, Grotrian, Petrof, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Blüthner, K2, YC5, U4, Kremsegg 1&2, Karsten, Electric, Hohner)

the money invested in Pianoteq are better spent in my life....

I love Modarrt

I am glad I bought Pianoteq5. I had spend lots of money buying other sampled piano and other piano vst products. But this is the one that actually have enough dynamic range to be musical enough for me. I will not be laying my eyes on another sampled piano again. Non of the sampled piano that I owned had ever come close to a solo piano CD album quality.
The convolution reverb in there is excellent. The fact that you can import other impulse is just brilliant.
Yes 5.1 is a notch better! Thanks.

kalessin wrote:

I've been thinking. Would binaural mode not also be a good choice when playing through speakers? I've never thought about it until now, but the revamped binaural mode in 5.1 got me to think about that output mode.

(By the way, are the demo/preview buttons in the preset management list new in 5.1 or 5.0? I am relatively sure they weren't there in Pianoteq 4. Nice feature, though. )

Kalessin,

I was surprised at your comment.   Why would you think that a mode developed specifically for headphone playback would in any way be appropriate for speakers,  unless you had them like this:

http://tinyurl.com/lyo79q2

Ian

Ian, I had up to that point not researched the specific characteristics of dummy head recordings and thus the question was essentially exactly that: how does a dummy head recording fare when played back through speakers? It was a rather spontaneous thought. After a bit of research, it seems that such recordings have quite noticeable disadvantages when not played specifically through headphones, so I consider my question answered.

Last edited by kalessin (10-10-2014 18:23)
Pianoteq 6 Standard (Steinway D&B, Grotrian, Petrof, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Blüthner, K2, YC5, U4, Kremsegg 1&2, Karsten, Electric, Hohner)

Dear Modartt Team,

Just when we thought things were brilliant already, you go and blow us out of the water again with an absolutely fabulous revision!!!

THANK YOU

Kindest Regards,

Chris

While there is definitely a great improvement in the sound, I find the higher range of the D4 Pianoteq 5 (and 5.1) to be a step back, it sounds rather brittle and synthetic again.
Pianoteq 4.5 D4 is the only sound I can live with.

Brittle and synthetic top end on D4? Errrm... no. Definitely not. It is a clear improvement of the D4 model.

Last edited by EvilDragon (11-10-2014 22:30)
Hard work and guts!

Very good voicing on the D4. It sounds quite realistic too me.

D4 Definitely improved. Congratulations on the continued positive evolution !

johnn wrote:

While there is definitely a great improvement in the sound, I find the higher range of the D4 Pianoteq 5 (and 5.1) to be a step back, it sounds rather brittle and synthetic again.

Are there specific notes that sound synthetic or brittle to you? (You mention the higher range--the very uppermost octave or do you mean another range?

Dear Modartt staff et al . .  Pianoteq 5.1.1 is absolutely wonderful.  I had a theater pianist in from the Legends show corporation (Myrtle Beach and Las Vegas)  He was so impressed with the Pianoteq 5.1.1.  The last time he had played Pianoteq was v3.  Needless to say, he was just overwhelmed.  He is discussing with his managers about using Pianoteq in their shows.

As for myself,  I am also impressed and have been playing with the advancements during the past three years now.  The D4 and binaural settings and all of the KIvIR presets are so good.  Also . .  off the wall things such as the GUI coloring for the Clav presets - really hot - in addition to the sounds for all of the electric piano sounds. 

You all are stretching the lead . . . KUDOS,   

Lanny

There seems to be another update for 5.1.1 already. I'm downloading it now, does anyone know what the changes are?

On the change history page it says something about OSX, so I don't know if Windows users need this.

If it says the only changes are OSX related, then that's what it is...

Hard work and guts!

johnn wrote:

I agree with you. My go-to piano is the Bluthner, and although overall it is greatly improved (quite a remarkable instrument!) it is a bit worse than V4.5 in the higher range (and the V4.5 is not quite there yet either). Ii noticed the same thing about the D4 . I listened to a couple of my compositions, played with the Bluthner, very carefully and repeatedly using two different high quality DACs and two different sets of very good monitors not to mention a good set of headphones, and there is no question that the higher range needs work, but work such that the lower ranges, now quite good, are not degraded. I recently posted the following on the same issue under the Pianoteq 5 Impressions thread:

"I agree [with you] that some acoustic pianos (especially those used in pop) sound bright and metallic. These qualities can be effective for pop, jazz, and even for certain classical music. However, many if not most of the finest classical concert pianos seldom sound shrill and ugly when they are used to play the standard repertoire, even if they can be made to sound bright and metallic. I do not expect the goal of modelling the Bluthner is to create solely a virtual pop music piano since there are already several other PT models which do that. The PT5  Bluthner is decidedly a major step forward from V4.5 for bass and mid range notes. However, based on my favorite preset so far (I prefer Bluthner under Stereo without mikes - this avoids the "recorded" sound - and pretty much copy the other settings given in the D4 Spacious preset, then add some PhoenixVerb reverb) some of the treble range is lacking in body and, often at high volumes, can sound a bit like a toy piano as others have pointed out. The treble does not compete with the bass and mid. I have had to revoice a couple of my compositions to avoid the treble range. Now, PT is by far the best virtual piano I have played - far better than Ivory in my opinion although I have no issue with others who disagree with me - but I think that if in a forthcoming PT5.5 the treble can made equal to the existing bass and mid, and the existing bass and mid left as they are, the Bluthner instrument will have reached an even higher level - a level at which it can just about compete with the real thing."

honjr,

Can you identify specific notes that sound this way? You speak of "some of the treble range." Imagine trying to listen for this problem--more specific information would let us all listen for what you mean.

(Do you have any audio examples of what you're hearing, too? The more information shared, the more precisely problems can be discussed...)

Jake Johnson wrote:

honjr,

Can you identify specific notes that sound this way? You speak of "some of the treble range." Imagine trying to listen for this problem--more specific information would let us all listen for what you mean.

(Do you have any audio examples of what you're hearing, too? The more information shared, the more precisely problems can be discussed...)

Sure thing - I would suggest playing the following f to ff (loud to even louder, and if your ears can stand it, also play fff, or loudest). Count from the lowest keyboard note (so C5 means the fifth C starting with the lowest C of a standard 88-key piano). Let b = flat and # = sharp.

Play the following simple triads in various inversions and in a good musical rhythm, at two or three varying tempi:

Bb5 - Eb5 - G5
Eb5 - G5 - Bb6
G5 - Bb6 - Eb6 etc…..

Also try the same with simple G major, or any other, triads, in the same general range. Next, play the same triads one and then two octaves lower. This helps identify the problem range as being roughly between F#5 and C7. I would also suggest that you record the playing so that when you play it back it is easier to concentrate on the sound. You can even make a little piece and record it, and see where the harshness occurs. You can even hear it in individual notes - e.g. C6, E6, F6, G6 and others - but to get the full impact it's easier to make a little piece and record it. Often, individual notes sound good but notes in combination do not. This is one of the secrets of the Steinway acoustic grand - hit one note and you're not impressed, but play them together and it sounds great.

Thanks! Now we can listen better. (Or at least I can later this week...)

Of course, my computer decided to crash down the very day of v.5.1's long-awaited release... so I couldn't try the beast yet (nor hear the revisited  KIViR collection, which was the main reason for me to wait for the update).

I had a question concerning new binatural modelling : is the improved model noticeable also in PTQ stage ? Because from the press release, one'd say that only STD and PRO users will benefit from it...

honjr:

Just to be sure that I understand--in your listing of the notes, would middle C be C4?

Jake Johnson wrote:

honjr:

Just to be sure that I understand--in your listing of the notes, would middle C be C4?

Let's use the MIDI messages window as standard for topics like this from now on. Click "Options" in the upper right -> MIDI.

Jake Johnson wrote:

honjr:

Jake,

yes, middle C is C4 (the lowest frequency C is normally defined as C1, not as C0).

honjr

Very welcome update. After running some MIDI files I conclude the sound it's a bit clear than before.
Samplers are in a process of extinction...

Virtual Dummy Heady model...

Uuhhnnn...

Does it consider hair, or hair style?

PunBB bbcode test

No kidding... Some long or volumous hair perhaps can alter sound perception a bit.

Last edited by Beto-Music (17-10-2014 15:02)

Not exactly 5.1 specific, but I am really starting to fall in love with the Kremsegg instruments... especially the Joseph Donal from 1795, the Ignaz Bösendorfer (note to Modartt: I'm pretty sure 'Besendorfer' is wrong) from 1829, and the 1899 Carl Bechstein of course.

kalessin wrote:

Not exactly 5.1 specific, but I am really starting to fall in love with the Kremsegg instruments... especially the Joseph Donal from 1795, the Ignaz Bösendorfer (note to Modartt: I'm pretty sure 'Besendorfer' is wrong) from 1829, and the 1899 Carl Bechstein of course.

Besendorfer is the correct name for this particular instrument.
Look at the last picture in this post: http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic...02#p931102

Last edited by Gilles (23-10-2014 22:45)

Gilles wrote:

Look at the last picture in this post: http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic...02#p931102

I see what you mean, but I still disagree. Spelling was not really 'fixed' in the 19th century, and Ignaz Bösendorfer is first and foremost a person. And his name is nowadays by convention written not as "Besendorfer" but as "Bösendorfer" with an "o umlaut".

I read the Pianoteq designation "I. Besendorfer (1829)" not as a reference to a name plaque, but as a description: "an instrument built by Ignaz Bösendorfer in 1829", and as such I still recommend using the form Bösendorfer, as this is the spelling commonly used today. It just avoids confusion.

Last edited by kalessin (24-10-2014 08:58)

kalessin wrote:
Gilles wrote:

I see what you mean, but I still disagree. Spelling was not really 'fixed' in the 19th century, and Ignaz Bösendorfer is first and foremost a person. And his name is nowadays by convention written not as "Besendorfer" but as "Bösendorfer" with an "o umlaut".

I read the Pianoteq designation "I. Besendorfer (1829)" not as a reference to a name plaque, but as a description: "an instrument built by Ignaz Bösendorfer in 1829", and as such I still recommend using the form Bösendorfer, as this is the spelling commonly used today. It just avoids confusion.

I understand your point about spelling, an ongoing and never finished process in all languages. I am not a German speaker, but in French, Besendorfer sounds more like Bösendorfer than the usual erroneous Bosendorfer, without umlaut. Maybe there was an intention on the part of Ignaz Bösendorfer to appeal to the french market of the time...

Also, the instrument's nameplate is publicly accessible at the Kremsegg museum and the modeling is made on the premise of being an accurate reconstruction, hence the idea of keeping the original spelling also.

Not that this affects the tone of this beautiful instrument, but...
Besendorfer = Besen (broom) + Dorf (village);
Bösendorfer = Bösen (evil) + Dorf (village).
Would you rather a broom-villager piano or an evil-villager piano?
Cheers,
Clive.

I dunno, but I think I'd take either over an Evil Dragon. (humour attempt)

Greg.

Hehe.

Hard work and guts!