Topic: Light (upright) true piano action keys?

I practise on an old (1898) upright which has brisk, light action. My stage board at the moment is a Korg SP250, which has a significantly heavier touch. Sometimes that difference undermines my playing.

So I'm looking for a <40lb keyboard with acceptable piano sounds (I mostly use Pianoteq for my sound, so having a decent sound is a safety feature only) and professional piano-centric features with a relatively light touch -- more like an upright than a grand.

Ideas?

Re: Light (upright) true piano action keys?

Interesting. In general, digital actions tend to be lighter than 'real' ones, especially uprights (which tend to be heavier than grands as well). So I guess you have an extremely well-regulated action on that piano.

To your question: try the current Casio Privia line. The PX-5 would be the current stage piano, but the other models have more or less the same action (PX-150, PX-350). I have a PX-3 myself, which has quite a usable action (but definitely on the light side).

Last edited by kalessin (20-10-2014 07:59)
Pianoteq 6 Standard (Steinway D&B, Grotrian, Petrof, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Blüthner, K2, YC5, U4, Kremsegg 1&2, Karsten, Electric, Hohner)

I have a Casio PX-150, and I find the action to be very piano like.  Good thing is the entire unit only weighs about 25 lbs, including the built in speakers.  One thing about the Casio, it's an actual gravity action (no springs)  That said, there is no escapement.  All in all the Casio seems good enough.  I have issues with the tunning though.  I feel the "stretch" is off in the treble.  Some intervals are beeautiful, others less than perfect.

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

The Casio actions are indeed weighted hammer actions, I wouldn't dare to recommend anything else for piano play. And for the average weight of the devices, the action is quite remarkable. My VPC-1's action is of course running circles around it (albeit at almost thrice the weight), and I also find the Casio action to be distinctly too light overall. But since the question asked was exactly that: a light but usable action, the PX series should be a perfect fit.

Pianoteq 6 Standard (Steinway D&B, Grotrian, Petrof, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Blüthner, K2, YC5, U4, Kremsegg 1&2, Karsten, Electric, Hohner)

I was at a Yamaha store and tested 10 different acoustics, 5 different digitals -- Yamaha keys are lighter pretty much across the board (digitals compared to Casio x50, acoustics compared to Kawai).  Seemed like short travel distance to the bottom -- you can play quite fast on Yamahas.  Too noisy in the store/mall though to test slow/soft pieces.

Korg SP-250 uses the RH3 action, which is Korg's best; some hate it, some love it. I have a Korg LP-380 with that keybed, I like it, but it's indeed heavier than Casio's. My suggestion is to go and test the keyboards by yourself. It seems that casio hammer action is very popular and it was improved in the latest generation; the sound is very acceptable. All Casio pianos (Privia or Celviano models) share the same action and I would recommend the PX-350.

Last edited by rleon (23-10-2014 21:50)