Topic: String lengths actually cabinet length?

Hello I was wondering if someone could clarify something for me.

Does the string length parameter actually correspond to the longest string in a piano (for example in a Steiny D it is 201cm) or does it refer to the cabinet length itself?

It looks to me as if its actually the latter and should be labelled "piano length"?

Re: String lengths actually cabinet length?

Welcome to the forum!

You are absolutely right. It is correctly mentionned in the manual on page 34 "You can choose up to a 10 meter long piano!". For th UI itself, "string length" looks more meaningful than "cabinet length", and the most evident sound variation comes from the string length variation.

Philippe Guillaume wrote:

Welcome to the forum!

You are absolutely right. It is correctly mentionned in the manual on page 34 "You can choose up to a 10 meter long piano!". For th UI itself, "string length" looks more meaningful than "cabinet length", and the most evident sound variation comes from the string length variation.

Hello Philippe,

I am completely aware that some manufacturers of upright pianos actually increase the cabinet heights without modifying anything else in their pianos, so as to win in the war of "specmanship" ... in this case, they charge much more for what is essentially the same piano scale as one of their own lesser pianos.  Restated, the string length and scaling remain constant while the manufacturer only bills the customer for a "taller" piano.

Cheers,

Joe

EDIT:  I have seen this in practice when working on a specific well-known brand of Japanese piano -- whose brand name is NOT Yamaha.

Wow, Kawai does it?!

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Wow, Kawai does it?!

Dear Mr. Dragon,

No names, please ... but you are correct, Sir!

Cheers,

Joe

Philippe Guillaume wrote:

For th UI itself, "string length" looks more meaningful than "cabinet length", and the most evident sound variation comes from the string length variation.

Yes, but why not calibrating the string length of the D4 to 2.01 m instead of 2.70 m, the other instruments respectively?

EDIT: On the other hand: What's to be said against calling it "cabinet length" if cabinet and string length change proportionately? But then the D4 must have 2.74 m. I know I'm finicky .

EDIT 2: Or how about having both parameters? I'll stop here .

Last edited by Modellingoptimist (19-09-2014 14:46)
formerly known as Notyetconvinced