Topic: Diana Krall on "But Not for Me"

Just ran across this, and wanted to share:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQgJCrDXaM

I wish the sound on the piano was a little better...

Last edited by Jake Johnson (19-07-2014 08:51)

Re: Diana Krall on "But Not for Me"

Nice, Thx for sharing

Last edited by Ecaroh (19-07-2014 13:42)

There seem to be several videos online taken from this show. It was produced 5+ years ago, but I've only just now seen any of it. Great sound quality on the vocal. The piano seems a bit sour, particularly at first. I wonder about the mic'ing, given the closed lid. But, of course, it's hard to guess what the original recording sounded like, based on these videos...

Last edited by Jake Johnson (19-07-2014 17:19)

Found the entire episode on Hulu for legal watching if you are a member and can tolerate the ads:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/541112

Starts with Costello doing a song, and then E. John interviews her. (Glad to hear her praise Julie London as an influence.) I know that Krall is not everyone's cup of tea, but this show shows her doing what she does close-up.

Jake Johnson wrote:

Found the entire episode on Hulu for legal watching if you are a member and can tolerate the ads:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/541112

Starts with Costello doing a song, and then E. John interviews her. (Glad to hear her praise Julie London as an influence.) I know that Krall is not everyone's cup of tea, but this show shows her doing what she does close-up.

oh yes . . . "Cry Me A River"   I have the original LP of Julie London singing that . .  reverb/echo fading out at the end etc.  etc.   

Lanny

Yeah, I have that album, too. Great Barney Kessel work, as well. I've seen some of her work on CD's. Haven't bought them because I worry that the warm sound might be lost in the digital world. Really disappointed to see that stores usually put them in the "Easy Listening" bin.

But Krall's recordings do get lots of warmth into the vocals. Ran across this Mix interview with one of her producers, Tommy Lipuma, who says he uses Neumann U47's on the vocals and records to analogue. (And overdubs the orchestra when there's an orchestra.) I'm not a fan of the pop recordings, but Lipuma was also the producer on All for You, the Nat King Cole tribute, which he doesn't mention in the interview. I assume he was using the same mics and method there. (The engineer in another interview mentions using a Neve for recording, as well.)

http://www.mixonline.com/mag/audio_prod...my_lipuma/

Not sure what mic she's using in the video. Looks like a Neumann--it has that square in a square logo.

I'm not sure that I understand recording to analogue and then transferring to digital--does it retain the warmth without additional editing in the mastering? In other words, the tape cuts and emphasizes the desired freqs, so the digital version just accurately reproduces that sound? He and the engineer seem to make it work.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (25-07-2014 04:59)

Just found your link, thanks. Not knowing too much about this wonderful style of music, the first time I learnt a Diana Krall exists was when I got the first sampled piano. The maker, Hans Adamsson from Sverige, liked Krall too obviously and crafted one of his "recording style" presets after her. Despite being old now, I still like those artvista grand presets of various players. What does the man think are settings for Jan Johansson, Diana Krall, Aretha Franklin and such.

Strange how, with Krall too, not just Julie London, stores and pop-jazz-classic-reviewers 'catalogize" artists. In Europe Diana Krall is often put into some "smooth jazz" corner, or seen as "music for the hipster bar", which is a shame because it suggests it was "background music for doing affairs". I liked, but don't seem to know so much of her music, the "girl in the other room" songs best, here her husband Elvis Costello wrote some songs for her too. Like the title track, youtube version:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ22Jl8dJjM

Concerning the "warmness" debate there were many years of fights in the forums, mostly overheated and lacking information at least from page one and a half on^^. I still like to have my old 'analogue' LPs, whatever this discussion might be good for. Funny that a lot of posh postmodern art-scenes always "dissed" 'analogue' and got all sarcastic  - yet a few years later you find them collecting old LPs again^^. Much of all this is more about hypes than about listening, music or even technical informations.
Apart from that I think 98% of listeners forget the difference. Even CD or DVD quality is not a must for longer as so many just listen to compressed youtube-mp4s?
And anyhow my lovely old Otto-Klemperer records or lovely chamberworks or piano LPs are played so many many times now that it's hard to compare them with their analogue recording techniques to various digitalized versions and re-workings and re-re-samplings using the latest wooombooombrooo, simply because some of the much beloved oldies got scratches, sometimes from listening people long gone now.

Well, thanks for sharing the link - the hulu stuff seems to be available only for (registered) US-american users, at least I get such a message here. As a side-effect which is nice for me the Krall-song got me back to nice guitar sounds like in "girl in the other room" - most guitar-vsts boast with a lot of metal or pop or experimental sounds but seem to lack such sounds, you have to "try your own". So from pianos and lovely Krall-songs to a sunday with guitars here

Jake Johnson wrote:

The piano seems a bit sour, particularly at first. I wonder about the mic'ing, given the closed lid. But, of course, it's hard to guess what the original recording sounded like, based on these videos...

Interesting, because I think the piano sounds excellent the whole time.

Greg.

skip wrote:
Jake Johnson wrote:

The piano seems a bit sour, particularly at first. I wonder about the mic'ing, given the closed lid. But, of course, it's hard to guess what the original recording sounded like, based on these videos...

Interesting, because I think the piano sounds excellent the whole time.

Greg.

Even at the very start? I hear the first bar or two as thin and sour. Maybe it's just me. But I need to listen to the recording again several times.

Klemperer wrote:

Just found your link, thanks. Not knowing too much about this wonderful style of music, the first time I learnt a Diana Krall exists was when I got the first sampled piano. The maker, Hans Adamsson from Sverige, liked Krall too obviously and crafted one of his "recording style" presets after her. Despite being old now, I still like those artvista grand presets of various players. What does the man think are settings for Jan Johansson, Diana Krall, Aretha Franklin and such.

Strange how, with Krall too, not just Julie London, stores and pop-jazz-classic-reviewers 'catalogize" artists. In Europe Diana Krall is often put into some "smooth jazz" corner, or seen as "music for the hipster bar", which is a shame because it suggests it was "background music for doing affairs". I liked, but don't seem to know so much of her music, the "girl in the other room" songs best, here her husband Elvis Costello wrote some songs for her too. Like the title track, youtube version:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ22Jl8dJjM

Concerning the "warmness" debate there were many years of fights in the forums, mostly overheated and lacking information at least from page one and a half on^^. I still like to have my old 'analogue' LPs, whatever this discussion might be good for. Funny that a lot of posh postmodern art-scenes always "dissed" 'analogue' and got all sarcastic  - yet a few years later you find them collecting old LPs again^^. Much of all this is more about hypes than about listening, music or even technical informations.
Apart from that I think 98% of listeners forget the difference. Even CD or DVD quality is not a must for longer as so many just listen to compressed youtube-mp4s?
And anyhow my lovely old Otto-Klemperer records or lovely chamberworks or piano LPs are played so many many times now that it's hard to compare them with their analogue recording techniques to various digitalized versions and re-workings and re-re-samplings using the latest wooombooombrooo, simply because some of the much beloved oldies got scratches, sometimes from listening people long gone now.

Well, thanks for sharing the link - the hulu stuff seems to be available only for (registered) US-american users, at least I get such a message here. As a side-effect which is nice for me the Krall-song got me back to nice guitar sounds like in "girl in the other room" - most guitar-vsts boast with a lot of metal or pop or experimental sounds but seem to lack such sounds, you have to "try your own". So from pianos and lovely Krall-songs to a sunday with guitars here

I do like the sounds that Hans Adamsson gets in his presets, and the general sound and feel of his piano. I can't say that I like Krall's move towards pop and Latin pop. I remember hearing Larry Coryell move into pop through pop Latin stuff and hating it. I wish Krall hadn't slipped onto that same path. Much rather hear her explore Gershwin and Kern. What's strange, for me, is that Julie London got lost by making the same mistake--she let people convince her that she should sing pop. I think it's a common thing for good jazz singers--industry people like the sound of their voice and want to make money off of it, so they pressure the singers into recording pop hits. What makes this situation with Krall worse, for me, is that the pressure seems to come from her husband, whose music was once really good. But he descended into easy listening, and now he's dragged her into it. Not just sad. She was doing serious jazz, and still can play seriously, judging from that video. I would even go so far as to argue that she was one of the best jazz singers of the past two decades, and brought in many new listeners, but she's been ruined. Not to deflect the blame entirely. If a singer records bad music, the decision is ultimately hers. Selling out is selling out.

Jake: Yes, even the first few bars sound very good - I've tried one set of headphones, and also my car stereo - sounds very good through both. I haven't tried my best headphones yet, but invariably they will only improve the sound - not make it worse.

Great to see that Krall has moved to pop music - I love pop music.  ;^)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avvh5H-EPWU

Greg.

Last edited by skip (01-09-2014 08:36)

Well, I like pop music, too, if it includes a woman in a stewardess uniform singing "sho-be-do-be-do-wop." Otherwise, not so much.