Topic: Suggestion: Option for natural ambient noise?

Recently, I've begin to notice a ringing sound whenever I listen to my own Pianoteq recordings. Especially if I'm listening through headphones, not so much when practicing using speakers.

I suspect that this is due to the absence of ambient sounds since Pianoteq doesn't generate any other noises other than the pure piano sounds itself (pedal and key noises included). It's too perfect in that manner.

It would be nice to have another slider for noise level, and perhaps a few different types of ambient sounds as well? Maybe some ambient looped recordings of the room, hall, stage, etc.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by Khoa (23-08-2014 18:23)

Re: Suggestion: Option for natural ambient noise?

No, white noise is (technically) a particular type of noise not periodic in time and with constant amplitude in frequencies spectrum.

You refer at a natural, ambiental noise (ambiance, resonance) proper of the room, hall, theatre, church...

Logically, using a headphone, the ambiental noise is shielded from device on your ears and near to 0... Different it's using Pianoteq with speakers in ambient and Pianoteq, imho, not need a new slider to generate artificial noise...

C.

Last edited by ciesse (21-08-2014 21:24)

Yeah, I just thought they were all considered white noise. I'm not talking specifically about the kind of white noise you use in dithering, etc. I've made some edits to the original post clarifying this, thank you

I will experiment with it manually too. Because I have a slight case of tinnitus and higher frequency notes trigger it. It can be very distracting when I try to enjoy the music.

And like I said, it's usually fine when I listen through speakers. Only when I use headphones do I actually notice it. A slider would make it an optional thing, turning on when you have headphones and off when you use speakers. Or just depends on personal preference.

There are metalic noises on pianoteq, result from strings, metal harp frame. Pianoteq only use samples for the key noises from mechanism action and keyboard.

Hm. Have you tried different reverb settings? They make things a bit more natural when using headphones. What sounds 'unnatural' quite usually is a lack of or 'wrong' reverb.

PS: your edit doesn't really make things more clear... there are no "types" of white noise. On the contrary: white noise is a very clearly defined and specific thing. It is also very powerful in the high frequencies (it is an obnoxious "hissing") as its frequency distribution is essentially flat.

As others have already said: you mean ambient noise loops. And those are tricky and hard to get right and quite specific to the desired effect; not really something that would make sense as a general feature of Pianoteq, I am afraid. Maybe there is a VST host that can add effects like this.

Last edited by kalessin (23-08-2014 06:11)
Pianoteq 6 Standard (Steinway D&B, Grotrian, Petrof, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Blüthner, K2, YC5, U4, Kremsegg 1&2, Karsten, Electric, Hohner)

Haha, corrected myself again, thanks!

I'll play around with the different reverb settings some more, then.