Topic: Modern metronome

Hi everyone,

I think metronome can be good way to improve your inner time. But there's downside too: if you won't consciously develop your inner clock you'll just practise to follow this click. In other words, when you switch off your metronome you play as bad as before. In my opinion best thing to do is to play with click but also listen to click and try to internalize tempo and then put the metronome off and play (and record) your performance.

Other good thing to is to decrease density of the metronome. For example, if your tempo is 120 just put it to 60 to make it play half notes. If you're brave enough you can try even whole notes (if your metronome can go that slow). In jazzy situations it's also funkier to "pretend" that your (half note) metronome is playing 2 and 4 beats. So with creative approach you can take more from your traditional metronome.

But now an idea to go really beyond above (and this needs help from Modartt):

Could we have a special metronome which would play first 1 (to x) bars and then rest 1 (to y) bars? X and y are users choises to define. I am sure that this could really help many to improve their timing and develop inner clock. This metronome asks you to really concentrate to play with your inner clock and then give you immediate feedback if you loose it for some reason. You'll start to notice the circumstances when you rush or leave behind the beat. It's very useful way of practicing. I know this because I use it quite often (I've made this special click with Logic). Nobody playes consciously with bad time and what we need is to get feedback if we do it right or wrong...

I think this kind of timing is essential skill in pop and jazz, but I believe classical players would also benefit from it too.

What do you think?

Last edited by Ecaroh (22-07-2014 13:54)

Re: Modern metronome

My opinion:

I think metronome is absolutely useless and destroys any feeling for the music. Tell me one good reason why each note in a piece must half an exactly defined time length? - you can't.

When you talk to somebody, does your words length having always an exactly defined timing? How would sound that? - like a computer voice. What is music? it is an universal language everybody understands, the musician tells us a story and we listen what he say to us, when he always talks with exactly the same speed its like a machine is talking to me.

Speed, time and BPM .... yes it is ok as a simple classification for the music style for somebody who wants to play it again, but its not necessary to keep this time precision.

One example: if you tell in front of your friends a story about your last holiday trip, do you set the metronome to 88 BPM, so that all of the sentences and words will having the same speed? I don't think so - for music its the same.

Best classical music ever made was composed in the 18th century and before, how they measure the speed of a piece - they used the simple italian names: allegretto, allegro, presto, largo, allegro assai, andante ...... there are many of them. Why they did it in that way? - because it is enough information how to play a piece. A musician decides the details in which speed he plays, depending on place, time, environmental, music instrument. It is his decision what he want to "say" today to the listeners. Being a free musician, a metronome kills that totally.

In a church as priest you speak eg. "Andante", as a captain in front of 100 soldiers "Allegro Assai or Presto", its a very simple language.

Do you really think Mozart, Haydn, Bach.... where stupid? Nowadays people think: in the past composers where not able to measure time and BPM exactly. HaHaHa - nonsens, there where also hundred years ago able using watches to measure seconds. Even the poorest (with less money) composer was able to buy or build-up a cheap time measure method (sandwatch, waterwatch) to measure the time length of his pieces and devide the result through the number of the notes to calculate a detailed BPM figure.

These former composers have spend many years of their life to create wonderful music. It would be in the past hundred years ago a very simple job to measure the time of their pieces.

Why Mozart, H, B...... never wrote time details in a style like a physician would do it? - Very Simple Answer - it is not necessary, because they known the music comes from the feeling of the musician not from a figure.

If former composers wanted to create a piece with a strong precise rythm, the would use their former instruments for it, a drum or a monotom listening polyphon voice within their pieces, they would made this rythm clearly audible - a metronome is a hidden rythm, for what being there but not audible?

Menzels Metronome was a way to make Menzel's money, that's all. Show me one classical piece which must be played exactly with e.g. 90 BPM for becoming a nice sound and what about 85 or 95 it will sound terrible? there is no.

The former composers would have supplied our world exactly with BPM times, when they think it is necessary - they didn't, because they know the feeling for "allegretto, andante......" that's the better information to play their piece.

I refuse to play or to train with a metronome. I don't need it in Pianoteq.

Ooookay... and the purpose of that little rant was...?

Also, I disagree. Especially when playing e.g. Mozart, it is quite important to keep a precise meter. And no, I don't mean 'exactly 85.76 bpm' by that: historic tempo designations were indeed a bit 'vague'. But keeping the tempo once you chose it is vital for many pieces. It is even more so when playing modern pieces where the composer often actually does specify an exact bpm value, like e.g. Philip Glass does in his Metamorphosis cycle. Or just take the Moonlight sonata (1st movement) with its fluent triplet rhythm: it is neither desirable to end the piece 30% faster than when you started, nor to inadvertently create a droning or warbled feel by constantly switching speeds (apart from selective ritardando use, of course).

Many people, myself included, have (had) to develop their 'beat sense' at some point in their learning process: you just have to be able to keep a tempo withing reasonable limits, full stop. That is actually not as easy as it sounds, and a metronome is a training tool; or do you know anyone using it on stage? I thought so. If perfect sense for tempo and meter came to you in your sleep, good for you. Us mortals, we have to practice. And if a metronome helps, why not use it.

Edit: more on topic: Ecaroh, do you have an Android device or iPhone? This app (iPhone version) looks like it does exactly what you are thinking of.

Edit #2: this one is more expensive and looks a bit more complicated, but actually speaks louder to my inner geek ("uuuh, buttons!"), and it also seems to have a training mode like the one you described.

Last edited by kalessin (22-07-2014 22:20)
Pianoteq 6 Standard (Steinway D&B, Grotrian, Petrof, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Blüthner, K2, YC5, U4, Kremsegg 1&2, Karsten, Electric, Hohner)

Thanks for replies!

@Zwerg:

Personally I am a jazz or pop oriented player so my idea of timing is little different than from a classical player. That's for sure. But I think there's at least one missunderstanding in your post. While in jazz/pop we normally have a quite steady pulse, this doesn't mean that each note must be mathematically placed in that metronomic time. Quite contrary. When you feel the beat inside you, you can manipulate your playing many many ways: you can play laid back phrases or little before the beat or even very free way. This makes your playing sound "alive" and "swing" etc. In fact it's not that far from classical idea. But you need to have an inner sense of time. And if you did not born with that talent, it's wise to practise with something which gives you this reference point (external click).

All this been said, still I feel that my idea of having metronome to play one bar and rest another would also help classical players too. When I record my classical playing, for example Bach,  I hear similar problems with time which I have with jazz: rushing or dragging in wrong place. Developing inner clock is a task for every player regardless of music style. When you have it, you can play whatever way you like, also nice rubato.

@kalessin:

thanks for tips. I'll check them out.

I still think that the first idea of having this modern metronome inside PTQ would not be very difficult to implement as a new feature and it would help many.

Last edited by Ecaroh (23-07-2014 00:49)

Of course a metronome in PT can be switched on or off the way you like, simple.

What I wanted to say:
Why the past composers of wonderful music did not use it?
Why they did not describe metronome methods?
Why they did not suggest it?
Why they did not describe pieces in physical units?
Why they described time only in words?

If I can't play a piece good, a metronome won't help me, I can't follow the ticks correctly. If I can't play a piece good, than I don't need the metronome.
Training with the metronome keeps you busy to be fully concentrated for the ticks and not for the music.

If I don't understand the typical sound of a piece, the metronome won't bring it. If I can't play it correct, my fingers are too slow and I must train them.
For me, piano playing starts and happens always in my head, the fingers are only the tools to be trained.

I understand and can play a piece when I have developed the "internal mentronome" for each piece in my mind, than I have understood the piece. The "internal metronome" its the typical sound and rythm of a piece and this sound is never constant within the piece and has never the same time units within a piece.

What about a modulation, why some notes on the end of a movement sometimes slow down (like braking a car before stop it), why sometimes speed-up notes within a passage? With a metronome you learn to trow away all these little nice things to make a piece more interesting.

Zwerg,

I still find it quite fascinating how much a simple tool like the metronome seems to upset you. If you don't like to use it, then don't. Absolutely nobody forces you to.

But if somebody else finds it useful, why can't you let them? I find this near-religious zeal with which you tell anyone that they are essentially morons void of any musical talent when using an external timing source, a bit irritating. By your theory, since almost all musicians train with metronomes at least early in their education, music should have been essentially dead for 200 years.

Let me put it this way: metronomes have existed and been used for nearly two centuries now. They will probably continue to exist and be used. They have not killed music yet, and won't.

Last edited by kalessin (23-07-2014 07:53)
Pianoteq 6 Standard (Steinway D&B, Grotrian, Petrof, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Blüthner, K2, YC5, U4, Kremsegg 1&2, Karsten, Electric, Hohner)

I'm sorry for the word because my english is poor but your demonstration is really stupid Zwerg.
Yes some people doesn't need metronome for play in time but all the greats musicians (jazzmen but also classical players) have a good tempo and a good rhythmic.
If you don't have a good tempo you must acquire and for this the metronome is a friend not a enemy.
The enemy is the idea you develop, you are wrong, what did you saying for the music at the time of Lully ? All the conductors hit the ground with a stick to give the measure, it's not a metronome before the metronome ? And this, in the concert.
And yes, you can have a good tempo with the repetition of the pieces you work but with the metronome you divide the time of work by four... it's a benefit of time for your musical culture.

Ecaroh, I think you can hear the metronome same a cow-bell play by a musicien, with this perspective you are not a musicien who play with a click but a musician who play with another musician, it's better for the interior tempo.

Last edited by Lylo (23-07-2014 08:44)

kalessin,

you misunderstand me, of course everybody can use the metronome or not.
I explained why I don't use it, if I write "I dont use" the reader don't know why.
I explained only my opinion and not what others shall do or leave.

Read the "Why" questions I wrote before and find an answer if you have one.

My words and my opinion is really not important for nobody - the answers for the "Why" questions thats quite more interesting.

@kalessin:
I have iPhone so I bought "Time Trainer" and it has this trainer feature which is exactly what I described (and more). This is a big help especially when I practise with acoustic piano. Many thanks for this suggestion!

But having this "trainer" in PTQ would still be great thing too:
First, just for simplicity. When you play PTQ you don't need to mess up with iPhone or other device.
Second, quite many of us (myself included) play PTQ with headphones, so we need click there...

Last edited by Ecaroh (23-07-2014 10:18)

The one change that I might like in the metronome would be adding the ability to use a sound other than the current sound--a modelled snare hit or ride cymbal hit, for example. But then, I'd also like to have triplets on a ride cymbal, and a basic rock pattern, etc, to avoid having to load up a full sequencer.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (23-07-2014 16:48)

Zwerg wrote:

I explained why I don't use it, if I write "I dont use" the reader don't know why.
I explained only my opinion and not what others shall do or leave.

Personally I use a metronome when I find that I am having problem with keeping tempo in a particular piece. When I have solved my problem, I usually drop using it, precisely for some of the reasons you mention: while playing with a metronome, you are forced into a temporal corset, and all musicality and interpretation is suppressed. But: to internalise tempo and meter, i.e. as a first step when studying a new piece, the metronome is invaluable to me, and I think to many others as well.

Ecaroh wrote:

But having this "trainer" in PTQ would still be great thing too:
First, just for simplicity. When you play PTQ you don't need to mess up with iPhone or other device.
Second, quite many of us (myself included) play PTQ with headphones, so we need click there...

Great that it works for you. I am thinking about getting one of those apps myself.

It might be, however, that 'the ultimate metronome' inside Pianoteq would be outside Pianteq's scope. It is also a question of usability and interface bloat. If Modartt think they can improve on the functionality and make it more useful and flexible without compromising existing functionality, I would like to see those improvements.

As to routing it through headphones, if you have a DAW like Reaper or Sonar, you can of course connect your iPhone to your computer and route that to your headphones together with Pianoteq. Also, some DAWs have internal metronomes (albeit similarly limited in their scope like the one in Pianoteq).

Jake Johnson wrote:

The one change that I might like in the metronome would be adding the ability to use a sound other than the current sound--a modelled snare hit or ride cymbal hit, for example.

...and/or just loading external wav files for "weak hit" and "strong hit".

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

kalessin wrote:

It might be, however, that 'the ultimate metronome' inside Pianoteq would be outside Pianteq's scope. It is also a question of usability and interface bloat. If Modartt think they can improve on the functionality and make it more useful and flexible without compromising existing functionality, I would like to see those improvements.

As to routing it through headphones, if you have a DAW like Reaper or Sonar, you can of course connect your iPhone to your computer and route that to your headphones together with Pianoteq. Also, some DAWs have internal metronomes (albeit similarly limited in their scope like the one in Pianoteq).

I think implementing "time trainer" would be quite simple to do and would not anyhow
compromise the existing functionality.

To develop my idea little further, we might have one more submenu with these:
Check box to put "trainer" on/off
Field to choose how many normal bars are in the beginning
Field to choose how many normal bars are there in the loop
Field to choose how many silent bars

For example: two normal bars in the beginning and after that looping 1 normal bar and 1 silent bar.

Simple as that.

And about using DAWs for mixing etc.: this is exactly why I started this thread. Earlier I used Logic for having this kind of modern metronome, but I am so bored with that. It would just be so much greater to have this feature inside PTQ. Personally I don't need more from metronome. I can play with real synth loops with Numerology and play-a-longs from iReal Pro (btw both are MARVELOUS creations).

Hi,

I did a further search for a ultimate metronome app and now I think I found it: Metronomics HD for iPhone and iPad and Mac. For using it with PTQ Mac is my choise (no need for using other devices and getting it straight to phones without messing with DAWs).

http://metronomicsapp.com

Jake Johnson wrote:

The one change that I might like in the metronome would be adding the ability to use a sound other than the current sound--a modelled snare hit or ride cymbal hit, for example. But then, I'd also like to have triplets on a ride cymbal, and a basic rock pattern, etc, to avoid having to load up a full sequencer.

Jake, this does all that and much more.

One very interesting feature is recording (MIDI/audio) and analyzing your timing….

Metronomics was actually my second link, but I had no iOS link handy at the time. It looks indeed very powerful.

There's an Android version, as well.  Requires Android 3.0 or better.

For $5, it does a lot of tricks!

.          Charles

PS -- my phone is full, though -- "low memory" messages.